Referral Code - MX1KDTYY
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
MX1KDTYY
“A Tesla was in a junkyard for three weeks. Then it burst into flames.”

Conveniently left out of the headline: “…having been severely damaged in a collision three weeks earlier”

This kind of irresponsible click bait is the reason my mother thinks all EVs just spontaneously combust for no reason.

Sadly, this kind of crap maximizes advertising revenue.

Stupid stories like this get people riled up. And then they share them and report them on forums. Which makes make more people read the article. Sites then publish more inflammatory articles. The cycle continues!

170,000 car fires a year in the US but for some reason only EV fires make the news (even though they catch fire at 1/10 the rate of ICE vehicles).

“A Tesla was in a junkyard for three weeks. Then it burst into flames.”

Conveniently left out of the headline: “…having been severely damaged in a collision three weeks earlier”

This kind of irresponsible click bait is the reason my mother thinks all EVs just spontaneously combust for no reason.
The average pumper holds 500 to 750 gallons of water so that fire should have been pretty easy for two trucks to handle. I'm guessing the car is a loser for the owner of the boneyard.

170,000 car fires a year in the US but for some reason only EV fires make the news (even though they catch fire at 1/10 the rate of ICE vehicles).
They make the news because they are like those birthday candles that refuse to blow out.

When an ICE vehicle is relegated to the junkyard, I would assume that any and all of the volatile fluids such as gasoline and oil are drained from the vehicle. It appears as though junkyards don’t understand that for EVs, even those with a small battery like a PHEV, that their batteries need to be removed and disposed of / recycled separately. They just can’t pile them up and expect nothing to happen.

Back