Heading back to Delaware from Ft Lauderdale - Dreading the EA experience

LUCI GT

Verified Owner
Not sure if you follow Dave Connor on You Tube Out of Spec Dave channel, but he just completed his trip from FL to NJ on 4/17. His charging experience was pretty dismal for the most part. Like him, I had the worst experience at the Brunswick, GA Electrify America back in December along with @hmp10. I will NOT be stopping in Brunswick this trip, but plan to stop in Pooler, GA instead. Like Dave, I love my Lucid! But I never imagined the charging infrastructure would be so horrible. I don't know why EA hasn't made any kind of public statement on how they're working on correcting this situation. I'm very disappointed, and have limited my long distance travel for lack of charger up time being reliable.

Not sure if you follow Dave Connor on You Tube Out of Spec Dave channel, but he just completed his trip from FL to NJ on 4/17. His charging experience was pretty dismal for the most part. Like him, I had the worst experience at the Brunswick, GA Electrify America back in December along with @hmp10. I will NOT be stopping in Brunswick this trip, but plan to stop in Pooler, GA instead. Like Dave, I love my Lucid! But I never imagined the charging infrastructure would be so horrible. I don't know why EA hasn't made any kind of public statement on how they're working on correcting this situation. I'm very disappointed, and have limited my long distance travel for lack of charger up time being reliable.
They are working on correcting the yo-yo issue at least. For my road trip just now of Cupertino -> Carlsbad and back, I had a flawless experience with all the EA stations.

I really hope they improve it outside CA.

It's been a few months, but our Christmas trip to Savannah (where we used the Pooler EA station) and Charleston was a complete mess when it came to charging. The entire Charleston EA station was down for "maintenance" in the middle of the day, and we had a 2-hour wait during which EVs were lining up for the station to come back on line. The day before, the Pooler station kept terminating our charging session 1-2 minutes after commencement no matter which plug we tried. We were on the phone with Electrify America for 79 minutes in a driving downpour (I'll never forget it) trying to get the car charged.

We have not ventured any further afield in the Lucid than across the Everglades between Naples to Miami since, as the car has enough range to make the round trip without recharging.

My recommendation is not to attempt any long road trip on the eastern seaboard without backup plans to use non-EA chargers if needed. Electrify America is simply not reliable enough.

Haven't travelled too far but I've never had a problem at any EA station (other than yo-yo and slower than expected speeds). I've used stations in Baltimore, MD, Bel Air, MD, Rosedale, MD, Richmond, VA and Zion Crossroads, VA. So at least Maryland and Virginia seem to be working OK.

If you are far enough west, this one doesn't even exist if memory serves me correctly. Nice way to drive up through the valley in Virginia to head northeast:

Sheetz 407 (Wytheville, VA)
1340 North Fourth Street, Wytheville, Virginia 24382

Imagine our surprise when Lucid and Electrify America told us this existed (under construction) as a stop geared towards the bottom of the battery... Barely made it to the next station on our way home in Bristol at 5%.

This one did not exist at the time, but it appears to be functional: 2622 East Lee Highway, Wytheville VA 24382

Thanks for the suggestion, but that takes me too far afield. I need to use the I-95 corridor, then head east at Emporia, VA. There is an EVgo station in Norfolk if worst comes to worse. 🤞

Thanks for the suggestion, but that takes me too far afield. I need to use the I-95 corridor, then head east at Emporia, VA. There is an EVgo station in Norfolk if worst comes to worse. 🤞
There is certainly nothing on the peninsula. Delaware and Maryland really need to put some fast chargers there. Best of luck.

It's been a few months, but our Christmas trip to Savannah (where we used the Pooler EA station) and Charleston was a complete mess when it came to charging. The entire Charleston EA station was down for "maintenance" in the middle of the day, and we had a 2-hour wait during which EVs were lining up for the station to come back on line. The day before, the Pooler station kept terminating our charging session 1-2 minutes after commencement no matter which plug we tried. We were on the phone with Electrify America for 79 minutes in a driving downpour (I'll never forget it) trying to get the car charged.

We have not ventured any further afield in the Lucid than across the Everglades between Naples to Miami since, as the car has enough range to make the round trip without recharging.

My recommendation is not to attempt any long road trip on the eastern seaboard without backup plans to use non-EA chargers if needed. Electrify America is simply not reliable enough.
My last couple trips Greenville, SC to Daytona and Sebring, I had good luck with EA and there are quite a few EA alternatives on the route. Will be going to Daytona again in June. I agree it is best to plan alternatives to EA just in case. I stop to charge every 150-200 miles, usually charging at around 40% SOC. Keeping 150 miles of range in reserve, keeps multiple alternates in play. The number of EVs is growing quickly. It will be interesting to see how it goes in June.

I totally agree with your methodology. I'm planning on charging every 200 miles or so too. I've also been monitoring Plug Share to watch the comments about the chargers I plan to stop at to ensure they're functional.
My last couple trips Greenville, SC to Daytona and Sebring, I had good luck with EA and there are quite a few EA alternatives on the route. Will be going to Daytona again in June. I agree it is best to plan alternatives to EA just in case. I stop to charge every 150-200 miles, usually charging at around 40% SOC. Keeping 150 miles of range in reserve, keeps multiple alternates in play. The number of EVs is growing quickly. It will be interesting to see how it goes in June.

The nice thing about having the range is that you can stop and charge when you want to, not because you have to. I too like to charge when I am in the 30’s SOC and usually combine that with a bathroom or meal stop. If I can charge for one reason or another, I just go to the next one. It just reiterates why I needed the 500 miles of range.

I totally agree with your methodology. I'm planning on charging every 200 miles or so too. I've also been monitoring Plug Share to watch the comments about the chargers I plan to stop at to ensure they're functional.
I have found plug share to be pretty good. Especially for sites that have recent comments.

Sigh . . .

As much as I love (actually am addicted to) EVs, this whole road trip charging morass is so aggravating on anything other than the Tesla Supercharger network.

With the CCS standard, everything is a guessing game. Will the next charging location be in service? Is the online information about its status accurate? Will all the cables work? Will the station recognize my car? Do I have apps loaded and accounts set up at alternate charging services I may have to use? How long will I be on hold if I have to call Customer Service?

This is just so utterly depressing at this point.

Sigh . . .

As much as I love (actually am addicted to) EVs, this whole road trip charging morass is so aggravating on anything other than the Tesla Supercharger network.

With the CCS standard, everything is a guessing game. Will the next charging location be in service? Is the online information about its status accurate? Will all the cables work? Will the station recognize my car? Do I have apps loaded and accounts set up at alternate charging services I may have to use? How long will I be on hold if I have to call Customer Service?

This is just so utterly depressing at this point.
Well, supercharging will be open to everybody soon and v4 will make it fast.

Well, I haven't even left yet and my first planned charging stop is down. All chargers "under repair" except one 50 kw charger - Ormond Beach, FL. It's gonna be a long day...

I've traveled 100 miles so far, and car was charged to 100% when I left. 4.3 mi/kwh. On track to go 475 miles on 20" wheels! Also discovered that Ormond Beach is back online.

Well, I haven't even left yet and my first planned charging stop is down. All chargers "under repair" except one 50 kw charger - Ormond Beach, FL. It's gonna be a long day...
I just drove I95 to Ft Lauderdale. I charged at Sams COCOA Beach, EA. Had trouble but got EA on phone and they initiated charging, about 15 minute delay, averaged about 75 kw on 350 kw charger.

I would suggest calling Bucees in Daytona Beach and see if there chargers are in service, they are brand new.

There is an FPL station at Exit 373, toward Amelia Island. I used the 350 kw charger and got about 125 average. No services at station. Cost was around $.40 p

PXL_20230508_154123017.jpg
Don't quite get this. I have 122 miles to go with 352 miles of range, but left screen says 175 miles on arrival?

View attachment 12122Don't quite get this. I have 122 miles to go with 352 miles of range, but left screen says 175 miles on arrival?
Range is useless. Change it to percent. Lucid has failed us on estimating actual range remaining.

Go to your trip screen. See how many actual miles per kWh you are averaging since last charge. Change to % instead of miles for your display. Multiply % remaining times your actual miles per kWh and that is pretty close to your remaining miles.

Back