Hands-free Trunk/Frunk opening

slairt

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Hi All! I have an Air touring. I also have an ICE car. I am sure a lot of you have or had an ICE car.

I am so used to having the hands-free trunk opening (waving foot near the trunk) with my ICE car. Most ICE cars have this feature. Lucid does not have it.

Do you think this will come in a future OTA update?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All! I have an Air touring. I also have an ICE car. I am sure a lot of you have or had an ICE car.

I am so used to having the hands-free trunk opening (waving foot near the trunk) with my ICE car. Most ICE cars have this feature. Lucid does not have it.

I don't know that most do. This is my first full EV and I've never had an ICE car that did that. But all have been sedans or compacts. I think that's a feature on larger vehicles. But it would be a cool update.

The hands free opening uses a sensor under the bumper to detect the foot motion. The Air does not have that, so there's no way to add it in a software update.

I had it on several cars and always found it too awkward to use. In many cars that have it, you have to hit the sweet spot as you swing your leg awkwardly under the bumper. Sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn’t.

My electrified G80 was the last car to have it, and although it was easier to use, it was also annoying. You‘d stand behind the trunk for something like 3 seconds and the trunk would pop open. Sounds nice in theory. The only problem is that would happen frequently when you didn’t want it to happen. There were times you might be wiping down the car or talking to someone and then the trunk would beep & open unnecessarily.

Fortunately you could disable the feature which I did. So I don’t miss this feature at all.

I have had it on several cars. It was great when I wanted it to work. Many a time I sat on the rear bumper putting my golf shoes on/off and the thing wanted to eat me as I put one foot down and raised the other to put a sock on.

I've never had a car with this feature. I've seen others attempt to use it, waving their legs like goofballs, with limited success. Thus, I've never sought it out in any car I've bought.

There are aftermarket sensors for some cars that can add this sort of functionality. Someone may offer that for Air down the line, perhaps?

I'd welcome it on the Gravity. We have foot-operated hatch opening on our Volvo EV. It works well if you go at it with confidence.

when it worked :rolleyes: I'd ask my Apple Watch to "Open/Close the Frunk/Trunk" .. I'd be a happy camper when that functionality starts working again

when it worked :rolleyes: I'd ask my Apple Watch to "Open/Close the Frunk/Trunk" .. I'd be a happy camper when that functionality starts working again

For what it's worth, you can set this up in Home Assistant and Siri if you want to set up Home Assistant.

Back