Ground Clearance idea

gregshap

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Touring DDp
The last 1/2 mile to my house is a dirt road, I have been racking my brain over a mod that could get me to my driveway without bottoming out.
I found some universal Air Cups that mount on top of the coil-over struts that would give 3" more ground clearance. You can only use them while going slow as they are not designed for high speed travel but I only need to reach the driveway. Any thoughts on this or does someone have a better idea?

I’ve use this trick on speed bumps with good success, and it might work in your situation: Set the drive mode to Swift instead of Smooth. This stiffens the dampers so the car doesn’t bounce nearly as much on the back side of bumps. YMMV of course, but it’s free and easy to use. Let me know if it helps.

I can hear the Lucid engineers slapping their own faces and groaning right now.

Typically the universal air cups you are referring to are for stanced/slammed cars. Something like this:
Nissan-350Z-1024x555.jpg

They are also usually designed to go onto an adjustable coilovers which typically use fixed diameter spring. The Air uses progressive springs with spring coils that vary in diameter, so there is a chance the spring coils won't even fit into that cup. Then you might have an issue with the springs and how the sit into their spring perch, because this looks like it would sit between the perch and the spring itself. So you want to make sure the perch in the cup works with the springs used on the struts of the air. Improper fitment could potentially lead to the spring moving/rattling/clunking whenever the suspension goes droop/unloads and becomes loaded again. Then you need to worry about the clearance between the cups and your upper suspension wishbone. Finally does the cup fit or have a clearance issue with the upper strut housing of the body, but I would guess this won't be an issue.

Finally you got to still deal with wiring the system, plumbing the system and mounting all of the tertiary equipment.

Is it doable? Yes. Is it worth, debatable.

I was thinking that they went on top of the coil-overs, kinda like a lift kit for coil-over 4x4's.
If they had to ride like a saddle on the spring, then that probably wouldn't work well.

I was thinking that they went on top of the coil-overs, kinda like a lift kit for coil-over 4x4's.
If they had to ride like a saddle on the spring, then that probably wouldn't work well.
The aftermarket lift kits I've seen just make your top mount thicker. Essentially it takes a top mount and adds a spacer.

1db226934cee1b7c54d8276bcdd6fbaa--subaru-xv-subaru-forester.jpg

The cheap aftermarket air lift kits I've seen, don't replace the entire top mount, but instead sit below them and are supplemental.

AIR-CUP-SUSPENSION-LIFT-SYSTEMS-01_2000x.jpeg

The more expensive aftermarket system sit on the bottom of the shock body. KW sells a universal system too but the details are sparse on how it all fits together. It also looks like they sell a entire coilovers kit with the system already installed. https://www.kwsuspensions.com/products/hydraulic_lift_system
MCS, Motion Control Systems might have something similar, or maybe one of their distributors is using a KW like solution to build a system for their customers.

Replacing the entire suspension to something with an adjustable coilover would likely get you what you want, however keep in mind KW and MCS are more motorsport oriented solutions. Im not sure if they'd be able to deliver the same ride characteristics as the original factory system, let alone retain the electronic control over the damper. Although I know Bilstein has electronically controlled dampers available; which I think is what Lucid used in the Air.

In any case, anything is do able with $$$$$.

Here is the front end of the Air, note the spring coils.

Lucid_Battery_End-Shot-01-scaled.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230309-152356.png
    Screenshot_20230309-152356.png
    804.7 KB · Views: 104
Mods- please delete that NSFW picture ASAP.

Back