Great NY Times article on Dolby Atmos

Bunnylebowski

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT Black/Tahoe/19"

It’s funny it mentioned the original audio engineer for Prince’s When Doves Cry not liking the Atmos version. I think it’s even better. I wish they had mentioned Lucid and not just MB and Volvo as putting Atmos in their cars.

Great article. While reading , I thought to myself “ please hurry up and make more Atmos mixes.” Pretty obsessive about regularly checking Tidal to hear new Atmos goodies. Such a fantastic experience.

It’s funny it mentioned the original audio engineer for Prince’s When Doves Cry not liking the Atmos version. I think it’s even better. I wish they had mentioned Lucid and not just MB and Volvo as putting Atmos in their cars.
Hopefully not too off topic. How do Atmos tracks come about to be put on Tidal? Does the process have to start with the record label, or can anyone with funds hire a studio to mix tracks they enjoy?

Hopefully not too off topic. How do Atmos tracks come about to be put on Tidal? Does the process have to start with the record label, or can anyone with funds hire a studio to mix tracks they enjoy?
If the Atmos mix is already made then the streaming service has to license it. In some instances though the streaming service has actually got the record label to do an Atmos mix, as it increases their Atmos content and subscriptions. Then there’s also newer songs that were recorded and mixed specifically for Atmos from the start, which IMO take great advantage of the format.

Great article. While reading , I thought to myself “ please hurry up and make more Atmos mixes.” Pretty obsessive about regularly checking Tidal to hear new Atmos goodies. Such a fantastic experience.
I check Tidal just about everyday. I'm a bit obsessed too.

<snip> I wish they had mentioned Lucid and not just MB and Volvo as putting Atmos in their cars.

At SXSW this year there was a huge Dolby venue with an S-class Maybach something right in the middle showing off the in-car Atmos experience. They did a similar thing at CES too apparently.

Could be such a win for Lucid … c’mon, PR folks, get your game on!

I'm spending hours in my garage late at night / early in the mornings

listening to pretty much anything on Dolby Atmos

best car audio i've ever heard.

Does anyone have any idea if there’s a plant integrate Apple Music with Atmos? I enjoy it but I don’t see the value of paying additional 20 bucks a month for tidal when I drive about 2000 miles a year.

I'm spending hours in my garage late at night / early in the mornings

listening to pretty much anything on Dolby Atmos

best car audio i've ever heard.
Agreed and I do the same. Pretty much any new album that comes out, I listen to it first in the car. It's such a wonderful experience.

Does anyone have any idea if there’s a plant integrate Apple Music with Atmos? I enjoy it but I don’t see the value of paying additional 20 bucks a month for tidal when I drive about 2000 miles a year.
That would be up to Apple. And they are mum on it so far. Hoping it’s baked into the new CarPlay 2 that’s coming soon, but they haven’t mentioned it, so I fear maybe not. Seems like the sort of thing Apple would consider a tentpole feature. I think the issue is not enough cars have Atmos-capable systems yet.

Back