Gravity or Model X?

AlignTrex

I purchased my Air Touring last year. After a few months of owning the car and putting 6k miles on it, I can say it is an impressive car! Love everything about it. Can’t wait to see the development of the Dream Drive Pro.

Now my family is looking for an SUV. I thought about waiting for the Gravity, but there just isn’t much info on it especially the cost and it is also taking forever to come out. So we decided to order a Tesla Model X since it has recently dropped in price. But after the test drive, I am surprised to find it doesn’t have USS, front camera, or 360 view which I find very useful on my Lucid.

Anyone here have both the Lucid and Model X that can chime in on what made your decision. Wait? Go forward with the model x? Rivian?

The Model X is an 8-year-old design. And at least among me, Tesla is notorious for being behind on safety and and comfort items common in other cars: blind spot warning in side mirrors, 360 cams, ultrasonic sensors. It took Tesla nine years to introduce GPS waypoints in navigation, fifteen years after other vehicles had this convenience.

This is a personal decision, but I'd be considering the Rivian R1S, BMW iX or Volvo XC60 Recharge (PHEV) if I needed an SUV immediately. The Polestar 3 or Volvo EX90 if a 6-12 month wait was OK. Lucid's Gravity if an 18 month wait would work.

I purchased my Air Touring last year. After a few months of owning the car and putting 6k miles on it, I can say it is an impressive car! Love everything about it. Can’t wait to see the development of the Dream Drive Pro.

Now my family is looking for an SUV. I thought about waiting for the Gravity, but there just isn’t much info on it especially the cost and it is also taking forever to come out. So we decided to order a Tesla Model X since it has recently dropped in price. But after the test drive, I am surprised to find it doesn’t have USS, front camera, or 360 view which I find very useful on my Lucid.

Anyone here have both the Lucid and Model X that can chime in on what made your decision. Wait? Go forward with the model x? Rivian?
Just get the Gravity, Model X is overated, old design, cheap interior and you will have trouble with those silly useless doors. Also, will handle worse than the Gravity and will have much less range. Or get something else but stay away from the Model X. There is a reason price was cut so much....no one is buying!!

I think that gravity is your best option. The best third row of any suv with good cargo, a usable frunk, "2nd gen of glass cockpit" that should fix all the issues, and an unveil at november. I would wait that short time! If you just cannot wait, the R1S or the iX(handling is amazing) is your best option as @DeaneG mentioned. If the iX range deters you, remember that it gets 380 miles in a 70 mph real world test.

It very well may be but how can one tell when it hasn't been released as yet.
Probably just predictions based on our current Lucid storage, and blowing It up to a SUV.
Plus some pictures have shown it to be some type of hybrid suv/van

But that's all it is, speculation. No one will know until November

Funnily enough, social media reminded me that I reserved a Model X exactly nine years ago today. Never took delivery but that's another story.

If you're not wedded to buying new, can you get something a year or two old with enough warranty to tide you over until the Gravity is ready? Or maybe a two-year lease?

I've not driven an iX so can't comment on how it performs, but if I were in the market for an SUV the lack of frunk would be a significant deterrent. That and the face only a mother could love. The Fisker Ocean has no frunk either but at least it's on the handsome side of bland-looking.

I've not driven an iX so can't comment on how it performs, but if I were in the market for an SUV the lack of frunk would be a significant deterrent. That and the face only a mother could love. The Fisker Ocean has no frunk either but at least it's on the handsome side of bland-looking.
I used to own BMWs and I test drove the IX and it pissed me off: it drove beautifully and I would have bought it but the front (and rear) is just too damn ugly.BMW makes great driving cars but they are currently Medusa like.

If those are your only two choices, I would get the Model X because nobody knows the cost, features or when they will land in customer garages.

The R1S has everything you mentioned as part of the standard equipment. It doesn’t drive like a Lucid, but drives better than a MX and can pretty much go anywhere. If you need more autonomous driving, then MX all day.

If those are your only two choices, I would get the Model X because nobody knows the cost, features or when they will land in customer garages.

The R1S has everything you mentioned as part of the standard equipment. It doesn’t drive like a Lucid, but drives better than a MX and can pretty much go anywhere. If you need more autonomous driving, then MX all day.
Isn’t rivians driver+ very good?

Anyways, I think a 2 year lease on a mx or r1s is the way to go. That way, not only can you wait for gravity(and get pretty good residuals I’d assume), new battery technology and new suvs may be out by then.

I also feel compelled to mention the id buzz, but that’s a minivan. I love the ix but I don’t think other appreciate the looks..

Isn’t rivians driver+ very good?
Yes, it’s very usable and stable and part of the base package. It’s limited to freeways and probably will never make it to off freeway driving because there isn’t radar in the current line up. That’s fine for me because I wouldn’t feel comfortable self driving on city streets in such a big footprint.

After Tesla’s recent update, FSD is pretty much here, except it’s still technically L2.

We went from a Model X to a Mercedes EQS SUV. We originally were going to buy a Lucid Air GT, but decided to wait for the Gravity as a sedan didn't make sense for us ultimately.

The EQS is multiple levels above the Model X in terms of quality, luxury, tech, and ride. I can't believe the Model X was sold at the same price point for such a long time. At the current price the Model X is more appropriately. It's not a bad deal if you aren't concerned with quality. However as others mentioned the Rivian R1S (more rugged and more room) and BMW iX (more sporty) are very strong alternatives. If price is your biggest concern I would consider waiting for the new Volvo EX90 or KIA EV9. Both should be $80k or less and offer three rows. If you want S Class like luxury then I would check out the EQS.

I finally test drove a Lucid Air a few weeks ago to simply experience a Lucid in anticipation of the upcoming Gravity launch. I will say that Lucid comes across as more luxury sport (which I prefer), similar to Porsche, versus our Mercedes EQS is more traditional luxury with some modern tech. I was extremely impressed with Lucid's build quality, driving feedback, and interior space. I'm guessing the Gravity will be our next vehicle. Assuming the specs are attractive, we will be putting down a despot in November.

Everyone is exactly right.
Even Lucid classifies themselves as "Post-Luxury", with a good combination of aspects from all 3 major Luxury brands, Mercedes, BMW and Audi.
Personally, I don't even think that Lucid and Tesla are in the same class.
Lucid_Post_Luxury.png

Five-year Model X owner here. If the car wasn’t paid off and my elderly parents didn’t find getting in and out of it so easy, I would have gotten rid of it it already, and feel only a little regret doing so, because the car did come with FUSC - Free Unlimited Supercharging.

Our Model X rattles with loose interior pieces, booms and roars with wind and road noise, shudders under hard accelaration (a suspension design problem with the half shafts at both front wheels that Tesla have NEVER come to grips with; the problem still persists even with the newest Model Xs), and is just not a whole lot of fun to drive. You have to crank up the volume to hear any music you might be playing, and apart from the two front seats, there’s no reclining your seatback, no armrests, and no coat hooks, or grab handles anywhere. As a concession to mere mortals like us who actually have to live with this car, EEELOHHHN did concede two door pockets but only in the two front doors. Otherwise you’re SOL for cubbies, bins and storage spaces.

Good things about the Model X as we have it configured - FSD is both impressive and terrifying, and phantom braking is occurring less and frequently. As far as user software for navigation, entertainment, Homelink and HVAC, Tesla’s stuff is smoother, better developed and more sophisticated.

Wait for the Lucid Gravity. As for the Model X, “fuhgedabatit.”

Five-year Model X owner here. If the car wasn’t paid off and my elderly parents didn’t find getting in and out of it so easy, I would have gotten rid of it it already, and feel only a little regret doing so, because the car did come with FUSC - Free Unlimited Supercharging.

Our Model X rattles with loose interior pieces, booms and roars with wind and road noise, shudders under hard accelaration (a suspension design problem with the half shafts at both front wheels that Tesla have NEVER come to grips with; the problem still persists even with the newest Model Xs), and is just not a whole lot of fun to drive. You have to crank up the volume to hear any music you might be playing, and apart from the two front seats, there’s no reclining your seatback, no armrests, and no coat hooks, or grab handles anywhere. As a concession to mere mortals like us who actually have to live with this car, EEELOHHHN did concede two door pockets but only in the two front doors. Otherwise you’re SOL for cubbies, bins and storage spaces.

Good things about the Model X as we have it configured - FSD is both impressive and terrifying, and phantom braking is occurring less and frequently. As far as user software for navigation, entertainment, Homelink and HVAC, Tesla’s stuff is smoother, better developed and more sophisticated.

Wait for the Lucid Gravity. As for the Model X, “fuhgedabatit.”
Exactly!! You can extrapolate that to the Models S vs Lucid Air as well. I was just a dumb fool to buy the tesla and also pay Elon Musk 7.5k for FSD which never came.

Rivian R1S is a very longggggg wait right now. Model X you can get in a month or 2. I wholeheartedly love both Air and R1S. My wife even asked me to replace our F250 or Wrangler with another R1S, but I’m not too sure. Model S and X recently did crazy 20k price drop to stoke back demand. Model X was my first dream EV, but much research yielded that Falcon doors has many reliability issues, squeak and rattles annoyance get reported too frequently and is unforgiving at that price range. Tech-wise, Tesla is great; comfort luxury, not so much.

If I am you and if you must get one soon, I would consider ‘leasing’ at this point. Current EV are depreciated quick. You may lease and buy back residual at much discount later, in addition to still qualify 7500 Fed Tax credit on lease instead of buying. But if you can wait a little longer, November is just a few weeks away to unfold veil of Gravity.

We went from a Model X to a Mercedes EQS SUV. We originally were going to buy a Lucid Air GT, but decided to wait for the Gravity as a sedan didn't make sense for us ultimately.

The EQS is multiple levels above the Model X in terms of quality, luxury, tech, and ride. I can't believe the Model X was sold at the same price point for such a long time. At the current price the Model X is more appropriately. It's not a bad deal if you aren't concerned with quality. However as others mentioned the Rivian R1S (more rugged and more room) and BMW iX (more sporty) are very strong alternatives. If price is your biggest concern I would consider waiting for the new Volvo EX90 or KIA EV9. Both should be $80k or less and offer three rows. If you want S Class like luxury then I would check out the EQS.

I finally test drove a Lucid Air a few weeks ago to simply experience a Lucid in anticipation of the upcoming Gravity launch. I will say that Lucid comes across as more luxury sport (which I prefer), similar to Porsche, versus our Mercedes EQS is more traditional luxury with some modern tech. I was extremely impressed with Lucid's build quality, driving feedback, and interior space. I'm guessing the Gravity will be our next vehicle. Assuming the specs are attractive, we will be putting down a despot in November.

NAILED IT!

Rivian R1S is a very longggggg wait right now. Model X you can get in a month or 2. I wholeheartedly love both Air and R1S. My wife even asked me to replace our F250 or Wrangler with another R1S, but I’m not too sure. Model S and X recently did crazy 20k price drop to stoke back demand. Model X was my first dream EV, but much research yielded that Falcon doors has many reliability issues, squeak and rattles annoyance get reported too frequently and is unforgiving at that price range. Tech-wise, Tesla is great; comfort luxury, not so much.

If I am you and if you must get one soon, I would consider ‘leasing’ at this point. Current EV are depreciated quick. You may lease and buy back residual at much discount later, in addition to still qualify 7500 Fed Tax credit on lease instead of buying. But if you can wait a little longer, November is just a few weeks away to unfold veil of Gravity.
Bingo, lease is the way to go right now! In a year the Gravity will exist and then you can make an informed decision.

Our December 2016 Model X shares those issues and I would only add that Tesla is pretty bad at supporting legacy (eg. 5+ years) vehicles, particularly the lower volume X and S. Lucid, of course, doesn’t have that track record, but I’ve been happier with Lucid service than I am with Tesla service on a vehicle covered by an extended warranty. My left front door is beginning to fail and, knock on wood, the falcon wing doors are creaky, but fully open. Massive profile mismatch issues and the center screen occasionally blacks out for 10-12 minutes. The Tesla service reps will only say ridiculous stuff like “it’s like an iPhone, sometimes things just happen because of unique configurations that can’t be reproduced.

I’m really hoping that Lucid competes with Mercedes and other luxury brands on customer satisfaction rather than Tesla.

Back