Gravity Compatibility with Tesla Gen-2 Mobile Connector

Smorgasbord

Active Member

Verified Owner
Joined
Sep 30, 2025
Messages
507
Reaction score
555
Location
Silicon Valley adjacent
Cars
Gravity GT
Referral Code
CA8VVCF7
Short story: It works!

Longer story: I have a Gen-2 Tesla mobile connector left over from a previously leased 2020 Model X. I plugged it into my NEMA 14-50 and then into Gravity, and it charged at 7kW with the battery at 75% SOC, so I expect to get the full 9kW when the SOC is lower, same as the Gravity GT included Lucid mobile charger.

So, why did I care?

Because the Lucid doesn't support a 3-prong 30amp NEMA 10-30 plug adapter. Lucid includes 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 (12 amp, 120volt) adapters, and you can buy a NEMA 14-30 adapter, but if you're in an older home with a 3-wire Dryer out (10-30), I think you're out of luck with the Lucid charger, but should be OK with the Tesla Gen-2 (and Gen-3) adapters. That said, the Gen-2 Tesla adapter doesn't support power out from the vehicle like the Lucid charger does. The Tesla Gen-3 does, but I don't know if that works with Gravity. And, small thing, the Tesla bag is smaller than the Lucid bag.

I suppose one could wire up a short Frankenstein cable that has a 10-30 plug and a 14-30 outlet, wire the neutral and grounds together, and get the Lucid to work, but that's probably a bit sketchy.
 
Lucid does sell a 10-30 adpater.

 
...I suppose one could wire up a short Frankenstein cable that has a 10-30 plug and a 14-30 outlet, wire the neutral and grounds together, and get the Lucid to work, but that's probably a bit sketchy.
That's essentially what Tesla's 10-30 mobile connector adapter is doing. EVSEs need a solid ground connection to work, but do not need a neutral connection. Since the neutral is carrying no current, Tesla is using it as a ground. Electrically plausible if not to code.

BTW your Gravity should charge at about 5.7kW from a 10-30 outlet (24A * 240V), regardless of its state of charge.
 
I'm a brand new Gravity owner; just joined here yesterday. Picking up the vehicle tomorrow. First post!

My previous EV was a Polestar, which came with a J-1772 charge unit that I plugged into a 14-30P to 14-50R adapter to use the 30amp dryer outlet in my garage. Long as I kept the car's charging pane set to max 24 amps it worked great. (Before I did that I had a licensed electrician check out the circuit & receptacle, and he replaced the aging outlet...)

Q: is this different for Lucid's mobile charger and is the 3rd party adapter a bad idea for the Gravity?

I'm not opposed to spending the sixty bucks for Lucid's adapter -- but my outlet is *behind* our (gas) dryer, and my current adapter is an 18" pigtail that is just long enough to poke out where it's accessible. I leave it there, always plugged into the wall.

Here's the heavy-duty adapter I've been using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM5ZTH9M

My concern is that the Lucid 14-30 adapter pigtail may not be long enough to reach out past the appliance to where I can join it to the "control unit." But I'd also rather re-arrange my garage if it means I avoid fritzing the Lucid charger!
 
I'm a brand new Gravity owner; just joined here yesterday. Picking up the vehicle tomorrow. First post!

My previous EV was a Polestar, which came with a J-1772 charge unit that I plugged into a 14-30P to 14-50R adapter to use the 30amp dryer outlet in my garage. Long as I kept the car's charging pane set to max 24 amps it worked great. (Before I did that I had a licensed electrician check out the circuit & receptacle, and he replaced the aging outlet...)

Q: is this different for Lucid's mobile charger and is the 3rd party adapter a bad idea for the Gravity?

I'm not opposed to spending the sixty bucks for Lucid's adapter -- but my outlet is *behind* our (gas) dryer, and my current adapter is an 18" pigtail that is just long enough to poke out where it's accessible. I leave it there, always plugged into the wall.

Here's the heavy-duty adapter I've been using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM5ZTH9M

My concern is that the Lucid 14-30 adapter pigtail may not be long enough to reach out past the appliance to where I can join it to the "control unit." But I'd also rather re-arrange my garage if it means I avoid fritzing the Lucid charger!
That should work fine, as long as you always remember to set the Gravity to 24 amps, and as long as the Gravity always honors your 24 amp limit.
It's a bit of a janky setup though. If you do plan on driving electric for a while, personally I'd eventually install a proper wall-mounted charging station on a 50 or 60 amp circuit. Or switch to a mobile charger that has a 14-30 plug, and plug it directly into the outlet. Then it'll automatically operate at 24 amps without any possibility of error.
 
That should work fine, as long as you always remember to set the Gravity to 24 amps, and as long as the Gravity always honors your 24 amp limit.
It's a bit of a janky setup though. If you do plan on driving electric for a while, personally I'd eventually install a proper wall-mounted charging station on a 50 or 60 amp circuit. Or switch to a mobile charger that has a 14-30 plug, and plug it directly into the outlet. Then it'll automatically operate at 24 amps without any possibility of error.
Thanks @DeaneG -- I agree on the jank-factor & also am concerned that the GGT may not "honor" my 24A limit. So I ordered the Lucid 14-30 pigtail. That part of my garage is pretty tight with washer & dryer wedged in between a counter and the water heater with the 14-30 outlet behind, but I think I can squeeze things an inch or two if that's what the mobile charger needs. Now, first road trip to get the new vehicle home: 680 miles... and then sort out the site for a new wall mounted rig.
 
Thanks @DeaneG -- I agree on the jank-factor & also am concerned that the GGT may not "honor" my 24A limit. So I ordered the Lucid 14-30 pigtail. That part of my garage is pretty tight with washer & dryer wedged in between a counter and the water heater with the 14-30 outlet behind, but I think I can squeeze things an inch or two if that's what the mobile charger needs. Now, first road trip to get the new vehicle home: 680 miles... and then sort out the site for a new wall mounted rig.
It's always handy to have that 14-30 pigtail anyway, as well as a RangeXChange adapter.
 
Back
Top