Frunk not opening

Dhimiter

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
W1J7UIGF
So, a bit chilly out today (10F). After driving for two hours, go to open the Frunk and it seems like it’s trying to open, but just shuts back down. I tried this 15 or so times before, with some assistance from me, the frunk finally popped open. Minimal icing on the front of the vehicle. I thought this vehicle was cold weather tested…what a load of bullshit. Spending 30 minutes in freezing temps embarrassed about not being able to take a Christmas gift out of the frunk to a party.

Any others in cold weather experience anything similar? I should state, I’ve had zero issues with the trunk before hence my suspicion this is temperature related.

Actually yes, we had some freezing rain/show mixture and I was trying to open the frunk. It popped open partially and then it tried to close but didn’t. I tried a few more times but it kept doing the same thing so I had to drive home (a short distance) with it partially open with the car alarming the whole way. After a few minutes of driving, turtle mode activated and I was capped at 35mph although that was the max speed there anyway. Once I got home I tried it again and it then opened and saw the ice that was causing it. I’d probably not risk opening it in cold, snowy weather again

I’ve had issues with the funk opening a little and then closing. This was a long time ago in warm weather. The problem was that the frunk edge was very close to the front trim piece and getting stuck there. At one point the frunk opened with a crack noise, which also caused the trim piece to crack. Service replaced the cracked trim piece and said that the PPF on the trim piece was probably to blame. After the trim piece was replaced, the PPF installer cut the replacement PPF back a bit. I haven’t had any problems since then.

It popped open partially and then it tried to close but didn’t. I tried a few more times but it kept doing the same thing so I had to drive home (a short distance) with it partially open with the car alarming the whole way.
I had exactly this experience today. After being home for a little bit (but still in a freezing garage), it eventually would open and close properly.

Actually yes, we had some freezing rain/show mixture and I was trying to open the frunk. It popped open partially and then it tried to close but didn’t. I tried a few more times but it kept doing the same thing so I had to drive home (a short distance) with it partially open with the car alarming the whole way. After a few minutes of driving, turtle mode activated and I was capped at 35mph although that was the max speed there anyway. Once I got home I tried it again and it then opened and saw the ice that was causing it. I’d probably not risk opening it in cold, snowy weather again
Just press it down as you can always close both the fruck and the trunk manually without hurting anything.

This happened to me too; if it opens just a bit, I can get some fingers in and help it open the rest of the way.

If the whole front of the car is covered in ice though I wouldn’t chance it, I’d just wait to get home and let the ice melt before opening the frunk.

So, a bit chilly out today (10F). After driving for two hours, go to open the Frunk and it seems like it’s trying to open, but just shuts back down. I tried this 15 or so times before, with some assistance from me, the frunk finally popped open. Minimal icing on the front of the vehicle. I thought this vehicle was cold weather tested…what a load of bullshit. Spending 30 minutes in freezing temps embarrassed about not being able to take a Christmas gift out of the frunk to a party.

Any others in cold weather experience anything similar? I should state, I’ve had zero issues with the trunk before hence my suspicion this is temperature related.
I had mine do the exact same thing but being here in AZ temperature wasn't a factor. Did it probaly a dozen times then I exited and pushed down on the hood and felt/heard lock engaged and drove away. It happened for a couple days then miraculously, fixed itself. Head scratcher.

Ice is going to do that to you. With freezing weather here , doors got stuck, windows won't roll down, trunk got stuck so not surprised about the frunk. You really can't weatherproof something that much

Back