First day impressions: the good and bad

yhenry

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I took delivery late yesterday and it was dark by the time I got it. Took the touring out for a drive today. A lot of the generally impressions are similar to other that have been covered to death: love the drive, cup holder too small, can't wait for Apple CarPlay ... etc.

A few things did stand out for me:
  • Wireless charging work fine with iPhone 14 Pro Max in a case. I did have to wiggle the phone a little bit and to my surprise it was charging my phone. This is different from most of the report from the forum, I'm not sure if it's my case or Lucid improved their production. But this is definitely a welcome change.
  • Once retracted my pilot panel can't come down, we saw this issue during delivery and the service team fixed it with a hard reset. But it happened again and doing a hard reset did not resolve it. Somehow when I pulled into a parking slot, and the panel attempted to come down to show the camera a few times and it succeed. For the problem see the attached video.
  • I also had my first charge session with EA, initially it had an authentication error and the car prompted me to unplug and try again. Once I did that it authenticated, and I had to choose the station in the Lucid app and the car begin charging without me having to dealt with the EA app. I was at 49% state of charge and only did maybe 1-2 mins of preconditioning, the peak charge rate was kW from a 150kW station.
  • The base seems to be a bit weak on first listening impression, I'll probably measure it using REW with a calibrated mic later and see if I can tune the audio parameters. I'll definitely report back.
Overall, I think it's not perfect, but is pretty good.

Attachments

• pilot panel issue.gif
    pilot panel issue.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 161
I took delivery late yesterday and it was dark by the time I got it. Took the touring out for a drive today. A lot of the generally impressions are similar to other that have been covered to death: love the drive, cup holder too small, can't wait for Apple CarPlay ... etc.

A few things did stand out for me:
  • Wireless charging work fine with iPhone 14 Pro Max in a case. I did have to wiggle the phone a little bit and to my surprise it was charging my phone. This is different from most of the report from the forum, I'm not sure if it's my case or Lucid improved their production. But this is definitely a welcome change.
  • Once retracted my pilot panel can't come down, we saw this issue during delivery and the service team fixed it with a hard reset. But it happened again and doing a hard reset did not resolve it. Somehow when I pulled into a parking slot, and the panel attempted to come down to show the camera a few times and it succeed. For the problem see the attached video.
  • I also had my first charge session with EA, initially it had an authentication error and the car prompted me to unplug and try again. Once I did that it authenticated, and I had to choose the station in the Lucid app and the car begin charging without me having to dealt with the EA app. I was at 49% state of charge and only did maybe 1-2 mins of preconditioning, the peak charge rate was kW from a 150kW station.
  • The base seems to be a bit weak on first listening impression, I'll probably measure it using REW with a calibrated mic later and see if I can tune the audio parameters. I'll definitely report back.
Overall, I think it's not perfect, but is pretty good.
Try a keycard reset, which can sometimes fix bass issues.

The keycard reset is the one where you turn on the turn signal, exit the car, lock the door, lock the car with the keycard and walk away/wait until the turn signal stopped, right?

The keycard reset is the one where you turn on the turn signal, exit the car, lock the door, lock the car with the keycard and walk away/wait until the turn signal stopped, right?
No. Simply lock the car with the keycard and walk away for 20 minutes.

I’ve heard 15 minutes, heard 20… I always go 20 to be sure it worked.

I thought the turn signal thing was just so you could tell when the car actually reset, rather than a formal part of the procedure?
Yeah the blinker going off just means the car powered down. It’s just easier to do, and you can do it from inside the car. As for the pilot panel issue, I’d ask service to check it if it ever happens again if the reboot fixed it. It’s never happened once in my car making me think a sensor needs recalibration or the motor that retracts it needs adjusting/replacement.

so many secrete ways to reset the car, why can't they just put a hard reset and soft reset button in the menu there ... I'm sure a reset does not take 20 minutes.
The concern is that a user will accidentally reset the car. I just read a review of the Rivian and it has the user press one of the steering wheel buttons simultaneously with the triangle flasher button. I don't see anyway that one would accidentally do that. One would think that Lucid could reprogram the reset function to something more user friendly that would still avoid accidental resets.

The concern is that a user will accidentally reset the car. I just read a review of the Rivian and it has the user press one of the steering wheel buttons simultaneously with the triangle flasher button. I don't see anyway that one would accidentally do that. One would think that Lucid could reprogram the reset function to something more user friendly that would still avoid accidental resets.
To reset my I Pace, I have to disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery after taking apart a portion of the frunk. Or, press and hold the emergency call button for 5 seconds and then wait 15 minutes.

Lucid has a version of a button combo reset but they don’t want to make it public as it needs refinement and could even damage the vehicle.

My suspicion is Lucid will eventually offer an easy reset function that is exposed to users. But yes, the one they have for service folk has been deemed potentially damaging, so we should not use it.

Of course, it would be better if we never needed to reset in the first place. But given resets will pretty much never be completely unavoidable, they should be quick and easy to perform, while being impossible to initiate accidentally.

so many secrete ways to reset the car, why can't they just put a hard reset and soft reset button in the menu there ... I'm sure a reset does not take 20 minutes.
@yhenry , I had posted this a couple of times in different threads but evidently, this method gets hardly talked about. It was customer service that told me this and the *only* way I have reset my Lucid. I have had my GT since May.

1. This assumes you have cellular connectivity on both your phone and car.
2. This has nothing to do with setting up mobile-key on your phone.
3. Fire up the app on your phone before you exit the car.
4. Using the "lock" button on your app, lock the car right after you exit and close the door. If you walk away without doing that, mobile key proximity will lock the car - that is not a reset.
5. Walk away and come back after a few seconds (yes, seconds not minutes).

I have done this multiple times and works every single time. In fact, my valet card never worked during the first few months of ownership - an internal wiring harness connector was hooked up wrongly and was shorting something to ground (posted more details about this in another thread). I had to use this reset quite a few times when I had UX 1.0 and Alexa used to lose her shit.

Yeah the blinker going off just means the car powered down. It’s just easier to do, and you can do it from inside the car. As for the pilot panel issue, I’d ask service to check it if it ever happens again if the reboot fixed it. It’s never happened once in my car making me think a sensor needs recalibration or the motor that retracts it needs adjusting/replacement.
That’s what I thought too.

I think it’s quite possible to make the user trace some pattern to confirm reset. But that’d require a screen. With so many physical buttons, there got to be a safe combination that can work reliably.

A quick update on the pilot screen issue, I noticed that it's not related to software at all. It's just that sometimes the pilot screen does not retract fully, in those cases, the screen will not correctly come down. If I push it in with a bit of resistance, it will correctly extend.

Is it possible to have a thread with all possible reset steps indicating when to use each...there are so many of these reset steps buried in several posts that it is likely to be hard to retrieve when in situations where one really need to use it. Thanks

Is it possible to have a thread with all possible reset steps indicating when to use each...there are so many of these reset steps buried in several posts that it is likely to be hard to retrieve when in situations where one really need to use it. Thanks
That's sort of what this thread is for. Top of the General forum.

Back