Financing

zkhan2

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Just an FYI - When I received my VIN assignment, my DA called to inform me prior to me getting the official email. That was super nice of him. However, he asked that I get the financing application into BofA that day as well. He send me the email with it the link to BofA for the Lucid financing. He made it seem like financing was a long drawn out process. So, I went online applied and got approved in less than a minute. I let my DA know that it was easy and I am approved. The closing documents link was sent to me the very next day by BofA. However, the BofA loan officer said to sign it once I have a delivery date. So far my DA has been mostly quiet on delivery date or any update other than to say its in Chicago. I feel he has ghosted me.

The issue is that an approved loan is good for 30-days. My approval expires on Wednesday 5/11. I reached out to my DA Friday and again today - no response, no email, including a request to speak to a supervisor (not to get the DA in trouble) but to see if a manager can reach out and get a status on the car.

I finally cold called sales just now and spoke to a very nice person who listened to what I had to say and spoke to a manager. He returned and said the manager will be reaching out to BofA to request a two week extension.

The real issues with the loan approval expiring in 30-days:
1) You have to reapply and there is a hard hit on your credit - my credit was over 825 prior to the loan now its just under 800;
2) Once you sign, you are on the hook to start making payments for a car that you don't have delivery of yet. Let's say they find an issue and the part is 4-6 weeks out as an example; and
3) My personal concern is that, let's just say I work in security, and I am constantly monitored by the government and dramatic increase in credit hit and utilization has a negative and adverse effect that I want to avoid.

I would recommend that, if you decide to finance, wait until at least two weeks from the date of confirmation that your vehicle is in Chicago before financing. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Lol yea BofA is super fast unlike some other places

I am curious as to what your loan interest is. Are you a Platium member of BOA? Or Gold member? I believe Platinum members get a .35% reduction of their interest rate and GOld members get a 25% reduction.

FYI, I discovered that Consumer's Credit Union (Chicago) is giving auto loans at just 1.99%. I applied and told them that I may not know when I get delivery and that I wanted the largest amount they would grant me since with the current stock market situation, I really did not wish to cash out any stocks if avoidable. They were great and authorized a loan of 118K which would included state taxes and fee. There is a 60 day lock on this rate. If I pass the 60 days waiting on delivery, the loan floats but I don't have to reapply and there are no additional fees. The only fees I paid was a $5 deposit to open an account to start my membership and a $5 processing fee. Reilly, my account officer, has be extremely responsive and very nice. I live in Washinton so I believe they cater to people in all states. My loan application was approved last week and so far no hit on my FICA score. Go figure.

San Francisco Credit Union was offering 1.49% according to @copper for members.

San Francisco Credit Union was offering 1.49% according to @copper for members.
Wow. That is remarkable! I looked at their website and discovered the 0.99% is for 12 months or less. However, they also state that they will reduce their interest rate by 1% for EVs, with a 0.99% minimum. Here is their rate schedule that I took from their website.
1-12 Months 0.99%
13-36 Months 2.24%
37-48 Months 2.49%
49-60 Months 2.49%
61-72 Months 2.99%
73-84 Months 3.49%
85-96 Months 5.99%
Consumers Credit Union's rate that I got was for 60 months so SFCU would still be a little bit cheaper with their 1% discount.

My goodness how times have changed. When I applied for the loan on my very first car as a teenager the standard car loan was for 48 months!

Has anyone out of state been able to finance their car thru the San Francisco Credit Union, and if so, how?

I am curious as to what your loan interest is. Are you a Platium member of BOA? Or Gold member? I believe Platinum members get a .35% reduction of their interest rate and GOld members get a 25% reduction.

FYI, I discovered that Consumer's Credit Union (Chicago) is giving auto loans at just 1.99%. I applied and told them that I may not know when I get delivery and that I wanted the largest amount they would grant me since with the current stock market situation, I really did not wish to cash out any stocks if avoidable. They were great and authorized a loan of 118K which would included state taxes and fee. There is a 60 day lock on this rate. If I pass the 60 days waiting on delivery, the loan floats but I don't have to reapply and there are no additional fees. The only fees I paid was a $5 deposit to open an account to start my membership and a $5 processing fee. Reilly, my account officer, has be extremely responsive and very nice. I live in Washinton so I believe they cater to people in all states. My loan application was approved last week and so far no hit on my FICA score. Go figure.
I am not a BofA customer so the discounts won't apply to me. I don't finance much, but like you, with the market volatility, I decided that instead of selling my crypto or stocks I would just finance. My DA recommended BofA. I live in Virginia. I will reach out to Consumer Credit Union and see if I can finance through them. 1.99% is much better than 3.4%. I am financing $100K the remaining balance I have already sent to Lucid.

I am not a BofA customer so the discounts won't apply to me. I don't finance much, but like you, with the market volatility, I decided that instead of selling my crypto or stocks I would just finance. My DA recommended BofA. I live in Virginia. I will reach out to Consumer Credit Union and see if I can finance through them. 1.99% is much better than 3.4%. I am financing $100K the remaining balance I have already sent to Lucid.
You already paid them? My DA said not to pay anything of the non financed balance until the day of delivery. Same with getting financing - told me to wait until the car arrived at the service center due to the possibility of repair delays and not having to pay for a car you don't have possession of.

You already paid them? My DA said not to pay anything of the non financed balance until the day of delivery. Same with getting financing - told me to wait until the car arrived at the service center due to the possibility of repair delays and not having to pay for a car you don't have possession of.
Even though my DA is nice when we do chat - yet, he is non-responsive and in hind sight, has given me instructions that should not have been give. Yes, per the DA's request I paid the cash to Lucid and yes, I got finance approval the day I received my VIN. Both, I would urge no one else to do and follow your advice that was provided by a more responsible DA.

Has anyone out of state been able to finance their car thru the San Francisco Credit Union, and if so, how?
I plan on using SF Fire CU, given their rates seem good, even though I live in CO. But I'm already a member, from back when I lived in SF. So I get a pass on that one.

I got 2.79% with BoA for 72 months. If I did 60 months I could have gotten 2.29%. I'm a Platinum member so secured 0.50% discount.

I got 2.79% with BoA for 72 months. If I did 60 months I could have gotten 2.29%. I'm a Platinum member so secured 0.50% discount.
You must have gotten it a while ago. My platinum member rate was 2.94% and it is up to 3.19% today (3.69% without discounts).

You must have gotten it a while ago. My platinum member rate was 2.94% and it is up to 3.19% today (3.69% without discounts).
Seems to me that it's a better deal just to pay cash at this point the way things are going

Just an FYI - When I received my VIN assignment, my DA called to inform me prior to me getting the official email. That was super nice of him. However, he asked that I get the financing application into BofA that day as well. He send me the email with it the link to BofA for the Lucid financing. He made it seem like financing was a long drawn out process. So, I went online applied and got approved in less than a minute. I let my DA know that it was easy and I am approved. The closing documents link was sent to me the very next day by BofA. However, the BofA loan officer said to sign it once I have a delivery date. So far my DA has been mostly quiet on delivery date or any update other than to say its in Chicago. I feel he has ghosted me.

The issue is that an approved loan is good for 30-days. My approval expires on Wednesday 5/11. I reached out to my DA Friday and again today - no response, no email, including a request to speak to a supervisor (not to get the DA in trouble) but to see if a manager can reach out and get a status on the car.

I finally cold called sales just now and spoke to a very nice person who listened to what I had to say and spoke to a manager. He returned and said the manager will be reaching out to BofA to request a two week extension.

The real issues with the loan approval expiring in 30-days:
1) You have to reapply and there is a hard hit on your credit - my credit was over 825 prior to the loan now its just under 800;
2) Once you sign, you are on the hook to start making payments for a car that you don't have delivery of yet. Let's say they find an issue and the part is 4-6 weeks out as an example; and
3) My personal concern is that, let's just say I work in security, and I am constantly monitored by the government and dramatic increase in credit hit and utilization has a negative and adverse effect that I want to avoid.

I would recommend that, if you decide to finance, wait until at least two weeks from the date of confirmation that your vehicle is in Chicago before financing. Hope this helps.
I would second what zkhan2 said, don't do anything permanent until you get more concrete information. FYI I got my VIN about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from my DA either, in spite of emails etc... once again poor customer service from Lucid.

Seems to me that it's a better deal just to pay cash at this point the way things are going
Everyone lives with, values and makes money differently. Thus, I am in no position to offer any financial advise.
However, I will share my particular logic which has repeatedly worked for my situation. My thinking is I would prefer to place my cash in the market now, buying stock of tried and true companies while their stock is low, so I can reap the benefits when their stock returns to values that are more in line with their true worth. I tend to be a longer term investor and I tend to stay away from high risk stocks. A car loan of just 2 to 3 % over 5 years is very cheap in my way of thinking as I should reap much greater returns on my curent cash in hand over five years. Fingers crossed...and toes too! I am a true believer that it is in recessions where wealth opportunities are created.
With that said, I coould not resist and bought a bunch more Lucid stock yesterday at $16.22. I know some are saying that it could bottom out at around $12. If it does, then I will buy a bunch more as I do believe in the company with its remarkable management team and its even more remarkable product. Plus, I view its financial situation with its Saudi backing as being pretty strong. Or, at least, strong enough. It may take a 3 to 5 years before I see a real return on investment but I believe its future is bright.

There were posts a couple months ago about getting in Lucid stocks at $37 so $16 does sound better

I do not believe Lucid will be another Tesla. However, it is very well positioned into two future growth markets: EVs and energy storage. With a bit of luck and good management, they should do very well given the technology they have created. I view $16 as a real bargain, even though it will most likely drop a bit further until their next quarterly report comes out demonstrating that they can actually produce cars during this difficult supply chain era. Just my thoughts..... with my thoughts and 2 bucks, you might be able to buy a cup of coffee. albiet a small one.

Signed last month

Back