Feature request: disable keyfob proximity sensing

johnjbarton

Support for profile selection by key fob **without** proximity sensing would be awesome. So: double click the fob to unlock and select my--and only my--profile. This would eliminate the "eager puppy" mode where the car flops its mirrors every time you walk by in the drive way. And it would eliminate the passenger-with-a-keyfob-selects-profile problem as well. Really the proximity thing is cute for the first two times, then annoying.

The proximity sensing for the phone is terrible. Yesterday, after a couple of days using 2.0.18, I decided to try relinking my phone-as-key. The rest of my day was busy so I forgot about testing it out. Then in the evening we noticed the car was flashing its lights at us from the driveway. Not a steady flash but occasional and random, a few seconds on then off. As it was dark I did not realize that the mirrors were also unfolding, so this was the "eager puppy" thing that cars do these days. Eventually I drove off to find a charger because I was low and worried that I would not figure out the issue before the battery was too low. I called Customer Care asked about the keyfob and phone. Then I remembered that I had linked the phone. Fortunately I unlinked the phone and the problem goes away. Good riddance.

Support for profile selection by key fob **without** proximity sensing would be awesome. So: double click the fob to unlock and select my--and only my--profile. This would eliminate the "eager puppy" mode where the car flops its mirrors every time you walk by in the drive way. And it would eliminate the passenger-with-a-keyfob-selects-profile problem as well. Really the proximity thing is cute for the first two times, then annoying.

The proximity sensing for the phone is terrible. Yesterday, after a couple of days using 2.0.18, I decided to try relinking my phone-as-key. The rest of my day was busy so I forgot about testing it out. Then in the evening we noticed the car was flashing its lights at us from the driveway. Not a steady flash but occasional and random, a few seconds on then off. As it was dark I did not realize that the mirrors were also unfolding, so this was the "eager puppy" thing that cars do these days. Eventually I drove off to find a charger because I was low and worried that I would not figure out the issue before the battery was too low. I called Customer Care asked about the keyfob and phone. Then I remembered that I had linked the phone. Fortunately I unlinked the phone and the problem goes away. Good riddance.
Turn off “key detection” in your profile settings.

Also, if your car is doing the “eager puppy” thing just lock it once using the fob and it will stop until you are a significant distance away again.

My mobile key has been flawless since 2.0.

But then we won't have profile detection, right? I'm looking for profile detection with a double click of the key fob and no proximity sensing.
Fair point! I don't think that's currently an option.

I too suffer with the Eager Puppy issue and if hubby and I both get in the car and he gets in the drivers side - I want it to recognize his profile, instead it seems to always recognize mine. He has just the mobile key on his phone - leaves the fob at home. I have the mobile key on my phone and the fob somewhere burried in my purse. And half the time when I am by myself I walk up to it and it doesn't unlock, particularly when my hands are full. But sure enough when I walk with my phone into my garden to pick lemons- it opens right up. UGH.

I find now that the car doesn't wake up at all until or unless I actually unlock my phone and fire up the app! Only and if only I exit and enter the car soon after (couple of minutes) does the proximity sensor work. Or else it's back to unlocking phone and firing up the app to wake the car

LOL
I took delivery at home and was so amped I barely remember anything the DA said. My detailer recommended I not drive the car until he could slot me in for film and grease, so I spent the first two weeks camped in the garage and just looking at the car. This is where it got weird. The battery in the key fob died right away but how was I to know this?, so I could not figure out how to work it by looking at the mystic runes and pressing all over the thing. Meanwhile the mobile key on the phone has a 30+ second delay, and I did not know that when the app is signed-in it's a key...with a time delay. I had the app on since delivery, and listen to podcasts as I'm gardening and in and out of the garage all day long.
This is what happened:

When I'd go into the garage, after a few moments It would start humming, flapping it's ears, and lighting up ... responding to the delayed wake-up of the phone app. I did not know this, and did not associate it with the phone app because of the delay (I had the app on all the time). I did remember the DA said to expect a "massive" download(s) so I assumed that's what was happening. I thought the first two weeks my car sat in the garage it was getting updates every time I walked by. I made myself a pest here trying to figure out where to press on the key fob to make it work, and lost any chance of an update after losing my place in line ( you must do the updates as they come or they will stop).

Now I agree with the wise ones who use the fob (and get a Faraday pouch for it or a piece of Al foil wrap) and keep the card in the wallet. Don't even turn on the phone app. Also thanks to Borski for telling me where on the app (it's hidden) I could turn off the phone app: and the car will relax. I did not know you could turn it off...I thought it was off when I could not see it. It's a collision of new technology and old owners. The wipper-snappers here must be rolling their eyes at my posts.

I bet none of you could set points with a matchbook...or use a timing light.

LOL
I took delivery at home and was so amped I barely remember anything the DA said. My detailer recommended I not drive the car until he could slot me in for film and grease, so I spent the first two weeks camped in the garage and just looking at the car. This is where it got weird. The battery in the key fob died right away but how was I to know this?, so I could not figure out how to work it by looking at the mystic runes and pressing all over the thing. Meanwhile the mobile key on the phone has a 30+ second delay, and I did not know that when the app is signed-in it's a key...with a time delay. I had the app on since delivery, and listen to podcasts as I'm gardening and in and out of the garage all day long.
This is what happened:

When I'd go into the garage, after a few moments It would start humming, flapping it's ears, and lighting up ... responding to the delayed wake-up of the phone app. I did not know this, and did not associate it with the phone app because of the delay (I had the app on all the time). I did remember the DA said to expect a "massive" download(s) so I assumed that's what was happening. I thought the first two weeks my car sat in the garage it was getting updates every time I walked by. I made myself a pest here trying to figure out where to press on the key fob to make it work, and lost any chance of an update after losing my place in line ( you must do the updates as they come or they will stop).

Now I agree with the wise ones who use the fob (and get a Faraday pouch for it or a piece of Al foil wrap) and keep the card in the wallet. Don't even turn on the phone app. Also thanks to Borski for telling me where on the app (it's hidden) I could turn off the phone app: and the car will relax. I did not know you could turn it off...I thought it was off when I could not see it. It's a collision of new technology and old owners. The wipper-snappers here must be rolling their eyes at my posts.

“Flapping its ears” made me giggle. Dude, I gotta buy you a beer next time I’m in Philly or you’re in San Diego.

“Flapping its ears” made me giggle. Dude, I gotta buy you a beer next time I’m in Philly or you’re in San Diego.
Right?! Count me in

LOL
Well, young man, if you need to borrow a timing light or feeler gauge, just let me know. I still keep mine around for that Ford N1 tractor in the driveway that's the same age as me.

I too suffer with the Eager Puppy issue and if hubby and I both get in the car and he gets in the drivers side - I want it to recognize his profile, instead it seems to always recognize mine. He has just the mobile key on his phone - leaves the fob at home. I have the mobile key on my phone and the fob somewhere burried in my purse. And half the time when I am by myself I walk up to it and it doesn't unlock, particularly when my hands are full. But sure enough when I walk with my phone into my garden to pick lemons- it opens right up. UGH.
Which side are you approaching with the fob? I noticed the car senses better when either approaching from the front or on the left side. My Model S is similar and simply won't automatically open from the right side where the Lucid takes at least 10 seconds.

Which side are you approaching with the fob? I noticed the car senses better when either approaching from the front or on the left side. My Model S is similar and simply won't automatically open from the right side where the Lucid takes at least 10 seconds.
The way our driveway is oriented we always approach from the rear of the car and walk to the drivers side (which side do you consider the left? - passenger or drivers side?)

Hi Everybody, I'm a brand-new Air GT owner. Bought mine used a few days ago. So far, it's a fantastic car. I love it. I really struggled to put air in the tires, as it was 6 pounds low when I bought it, but thanks to this forum I learned how to pop the plastic aero covers off so I could reach the buried valve stems. Problem solved! Covers are stupid though - should fit standard air inflator.

Just one "problem" at the moment - I can't figure out how to turn off "key detection". Every time I walk into my garage, or even the laundry room next to my garage, the car wakes up and the mirrors fold out and the door handles pop open - and worst of all, my music starts streaming from my phone in the car. I don't want the car to do this just because I am throwing socks in the laundry room and the key is in my pocket!

But I can't find where to turn this off! Downloaded latest update but cannot find the setting to turn this off. Where is it?

Thanks!

Hi Everybody, I'm a brand-new Air GT owner. Bought mine used a few days ago. So far, it's a fantastic car. I love it. I really struggled to put air in the tires, as it was 6 pounds low when I bought it, but thanks to this forum I learned how to pop the plastic aero covers off so I could reach the buried valve stems. Problem solved! Covers are stupid though - should fit standard air inflator.

Just one "problem" at the moment - I can't figure out how to turn off "key detection". Every time I walk into my garage, or even the laundry room next to my garage, the car wakes up and the mirrors fold out and the door handles pop open - and worst of all, my music starts streaming from my phone in the car. I don't want the car to do this just because I am throwing socks in the laundry room and the key is in my pocket!

But I can't find where to turn this off! Downloaded latest update but cannot find the setting to turn this off. Where is it?

Thanks!
There is not currently a setting for this, unfortunately. You have 3 options: delete the phone key and use the fob only, turn off your phone's Bluetooth at home, or live with it.

I'm in the third camp because I don't want to use the fob and I have a smartwatch, so I can't turn off my Bluetooth. Hopefully Lucid implements the ability to geofence and selectively turn off phone detection at home sometime soon.

There is not currently a setting for this, unfortunately. You have 3 options: delete the phone key and use the fob only, turn off your phone's Bluetooth at home, or live with it.

I'm in the third camp because I don't want to use the fob and I have a smartwatch, so I can't turn off my Bluetooth. Hopefully Lucid implements the ability to geofence and selectively turn off phone detection at home sometime soon.
Thanks for the response. It's not the phone doing this, it is the regular key fob. Just having the fob in my pocket within 30 feet or so wakes the car up. Dozens of times a day... I really want to just press the fob to lock or unlock, not have it unlock for me and start playing music streaming from my phone. If my phone is not in bluetooth range the car still wakes up, but it won't play the music as well.

I want to lock the car and have it stay asleep until I press the fob to unlock and wake it up. Too much is happening automatically.

Thanks for the response. It's not the phone doing this, it is the regular key fob. Just having the fob in my pocket within 30 feet or so wakes the car up. Dozens of times a day... I really want to just press the fob to lock or unlock, not have it unlock for me and start playing music streaming from my phone. If my phone is not in bluetooth range the car still wakes up, but it won't play the music as well.

I want to lock the car and have it stay asleep until I press the fob to unlock and wake it up. Too much is happening automatically.
Unfortunately there is no setting to put it in fob button only mode. You might consider leaving your fob in a place further from the garage putting it in a faraday pouch. I put my fob away long ago and I only use the mobile key on my phone.

Unfortunately there is no setting to put it in fob button only mode. You might consider leaving your fob in a place further from the garage putting it in a faraday pouch. I put my fob away long ago and I only use the mobile key on my phone.
I'll try that - I assumed the phone would do the same thing as the fob but have not tested that. Thanks!

I think older versions of the software did support turning off Key Detection, but the feature appears to be missing now.

I'll try that - I assumed the phone would do the same thing as the fob but have not tested that. Thanks!

I think older versions of the software did support turning off Key Detection, but the feature appears to be missing now.
If you lock the car using your fob, it'll turn off proximity sensing for an indeterminate amount of time, maybe 10 min?

If you lock the car using your fob, it'll turn off proximity sensing for an indeterminate amount of time, maybe 10 min?
Correct, and same for the key card. I think he is looking for more of a Geo fenced or location-based locking paradigm where the car will not use proximity sensing. This is already a feature request from the mega-poll.

Yes, I want to disable proximity sensing at least while home. I would be happy to turn it off completely, not even Geo-fence based. It's easy enough to unlock the car with a quick press on the key fob. Thanks for the responses.

Back