Factory tint

eurekaboo

Cars
Dream R, S Plaid
Anyone know if there's pre-existing tint on the windows or what the VLT, UV or IR rejection of each glass is (on the DE and GT)? I haven't heard back from my delivery guy yet.

I'm guessing no tint, but trying to figure out if I should get it and whether it would look nicer.

The DE folks can confirm, but my DA said the only thing tinted is the glass roof. I know @hydbob tinted all his windows, so he can certainly give more insight.

Not sure on the UV/IR ratings, but I remember reading somewhere on here that it's quite good.

It's more like halfway up the windshield plus the rear roof is tinted. I tinted mine 1) to darken the rear for more privacy and 2) because the side windows didn't have tint and the sun came glaring in the sides.

I can say that I am VERY happy I decided to tint because I think it looks nicer and the heat and glare reduction is quite significant.

When it comes time to get my Lucid, I will be tinting the side windows. I felt like a bit of heat was coming in through the driver's side window (only 60F that day) due to the sun's position in the sky. Even a mildly tinted window with good IR rejection will do the trick.

It's more like halfway up the windshield plus the rear roof is tinted. I tinted mine 1) to darken the rear for more privacy and 2) because the side windows didn't have tint and the sun came glaring in the sides.

I can say that I am VERY happy I decided to tint because I think it looks nicer and the heat and glare reduction is quite significant.
What tinting rating did you end up with?

Hyd

Hydbob, I am intrigued by your comment that tinting has reduced the glare. I’ve noticed when driving in daylight that the glare off the dash is seriously distracting. The dash lines and stitching reflect right in the driver’s line of sight. Did tinting reduce that?

Hyd

Hydbob, I am intrigued by your comment that tinting has reduced the glare. I’ve noticed when driving in daylight that the glare off the dash is seriously distracting. The dash lines and stitching reflect right in the driver’s line of sight. Did tinting reduce that?
Yes it did, it used to be REALLY distracting, but now it's only SEMI distracting, haha. But the glare from above is greatly reduced. I used 3M Crystalline as my tint.

Yes it did, it used to be REALLY distracting, but now it's only SEMI distracting, haha. But the glare from above is greatly reduced. I used 3M Crystalline as my tint.
You remind me of my youth. Kennedy nominated Newton Minow to be the FTC Commissioner. He had previously claimed that television was a "vast wasteland". He was asked if he still stood by his remarks and replied "No...television is a half vast wasteland"".

I was wondering about this myself since I live in NYC, and the sun during the summertime can be really brutal with the heat here in the city. Can you post pictures of how you tinted the roof? Were you able to do a gradient tint on the front portion from the windshield moving backwards? I'm just concerned because I don't really like the look of a sharp line of a tint on the front portion of the glass roof, and was wondering if there was a way to do a gradient tint starting from the windshield and then getting darker as it goes backwards.

I was wondering about this myself since I live in NYC, and the sun during the summertime can be really brutal with the heat here in the city. Can you post pictures of how you tinted the roof? Were you able to do a gradient tint on the front portion from the windshield moving backwards? I'm just concerned because I don't really like the look of a sharp line of a tint on the front portion of the glass roof, and was wondering if there was a way to do a gradient tint starting from the windshield and then getting darker as it goes backwards.
I just threw a 70 tint on the whole windshield which kept the factory gradient the same. Someone else posted where they had 2 tints but it's buried in the forum somewhere...

You can also look at this:

Curious how you did the rear roof...where did you stop it, at the seam or somewhere else? Getting our side windows done today.

I agree with hydbob, I had all of the windows tinted and it made a major difference in look and inside temperature.

So I did Xpel Prime XR Plus 70 on the windshield, 35 on rear top, and 45 side windows and rear window. If I had it to do over I think I would go with 55 on the windshield. The 70 doesn't really do much and I've seen some cars with 55 that look just fine.

So I did Xpel Prime XR Plus 70 on the windshield, 35 on rear top, and 45 side windows and rear window. If I had it to do over I think I would go with 55 on the windshield. The 70 doesn't really do much and I've seen some cars with 55 that look just fine.
Yea I wish I would have gone 50, but was warned against it by the tint shop and after speaking with a CHP friend, they won't pull you over for it, but could tack on an extra ticket if they felt so inclined.

Yea I wish I would have gone 50, but was warned against it by the tint shop and after speaking with a CHP friend, they won't pull you over for it, but could tack on an extra ticket if they felt so inclined.
That's what 11-99 is for!!

The 30 should have given you decent temperature rejection. Are you not getting that from your windshield?

Back