EZPass with Lucid Air

steveairgt

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
Hi
I have a Tesla Model X where the EZPass transponders don’t work due to the windshield design. Anyone with a Lucid Air using an EZPass? Does it work fastened to the inside of the windshield ?
Thanks

Lucid left the metallic coating off a small patch on the lower right-hand (passenger) side of the windshield for equipment that needs to transmit/receive an RF signal, as it won't pass through the main windshield. They should be able to point that area out to you during delivery.

I am hoping to avoid having to use an EZPass transponder altogether in my AGT and rather use the Uproad app on my phone: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/uproad-toll-road-payment/id1456650478. I think I first read about it on one of the threads here. I have now trialed it a few times over the past month (here in MA) in my Audi eTron, which also has a built-in toll transponder, and then compared the charges and it seems to work great. So I plan to ditch using EZpass when I get my AGT.

Last edited:
Lucid left the metallic coating off a small patch on the lower right-hand (passenger) side of the windshield for equipment that needs to transmit/receive an RF signal, as it won't pass through the main windshield. They should be able to point that area out to you during delivery.

Cool, I have to have them show me this. I just hope the right side is OK for EZ-Pass system here in the Midwest.

My car was delivered with the original windshield that fully blocked transponders. Since I raised the concern Lucid changed my windshield in February for one that has a cutout window for the EZPass in the bottom right corner. See white tag in the picture. Unfortunately, for some reason in this location the transponder is only recognized by the toll reader about half of the time (at least in the tolls where I can see that it says toll unpaid) and I purposely try to go slow to give it time. The high speed ones may be more sensitive. Since my license plate is registered with EZPass, I never get the violations. So, bottom line, I don't think it matters as long as you register your license plate in the system. The cutout of the metal coating is very obvious and I am not thrilled with the highly visible location, but I guess there is no better place and it works sometimes. If you have a front license plate you can use an external transponder.
IMG_6640.jpeg
IMG_6320.jpeg

Last edited:
One time I lost my transponder on a trip and figured I didn’t need one bc ezpass has my license plate info.

After about 2 weeks they sent me a letter and said I needed a transponder in my car otherwise they would stop automatically charging my license plate after a month.

So you have some time. As long as it works once every month you should be fine! Lol.

My car was delivered with the original windshield that fully blocked transponders. Since I raised the concern Lucid changed my windshield in February for one that has a cutout window for the EZPass in the bottom right corner. See white tag in the picture. Unfortunately, for some reason in this location the transponder is only recognized by the toll reader about half of the time (at least in the tolls where I can see that it says toll unpaid) and I purposely try to go slow to give it time. The high speed ones may be more sensitive. Since my license plate is registered with EZPass, I never get the violations. So, bottom line, I don't think it matters as long as you register your license plate in the system. The cutout of the metal coating is very obvious and I am not thrilled with the highly visible location, but I guess there is no better place and it works sometimes. If you have a front license plate you can use an external transponder.
View attachment 1824View attachment 1825
Millbrae service walked me through the fact that there are three iterations of the windshield. The third (current) where the “cutout” is not visible - but is there

I am hoping to avoid having to use an EZPass transponder altogether in my AGT and rather use the Uproad app on my phone: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/uproad-toll-road-payment/id1456650478. I think I first read about it on one of the threads here. I have now trialed it a few times over the past month (here in MA) in my Audi eTron, which also has a built-in toll transponder, and then compared the charges and it seems to work great. So I plan to ditch using EZpass when I get my AGT.
Never knew there was an app that works with California Fastrak. I’ll definitely try it out.

Never knew there was an app that works with California Fastrak. I’ll definitely try it out.

Is there an app for Florida tolls?, How does it work on iPhone? It foes through apple account or Sunpass account?

Is there an app for Florida tolls?, How does it work on iPhone? It foes through apple account or Sunpass account?
There is a SunPass app available for iPhones, but it gets terrible reviews, so I probably wouldn't install it.

I just downloaded Uproad, looks good but there are monthly fees on top of the toll fees. Is it really the same cost as using an E-Z Pass? I do like that it works across so many states and even where E-Z pass does not work. Would be awesome if you can use it with rental cars, although, I am not sure if that would work...

If you’re “lucky” enough to live in a state that requires a front license plate, you can get the license plate mounted EZPass transponder. I did that in my Model X because I didn’t want the transponder on the windshield.

I just downloaded Uproad, looks good but there are monthly fees on top of the toll fees. Is it really the same cost as using an E-Z Pass? I do like that it works across so many states and even where E-Z pass does not work. Would be awesome if you can use it with rental cars, although, I am not sure if that would work...
I wonder what would happen if both passengers had the app installed on their phones and they are both in the same car. Would you be charged double when going through a toll?

I don’t see how this is worth it if you’re still paying the EZPass toll fees.

I know in some cases you get a better rate if you go through a toll in your home state vs another state. How do you know what you’ll be charged with this uproad.

Researching more. Lots of bad reviews.

I think I’ll stick with the transponder.

Back