Extended warranty

KySerenity

Cars
Model S, Pure Reservation
In 2016, I bought 8-year extended warranty and 8-year prepaid service for my Model S. Is extended warranty available with Lucid?

Is annual service expected and what are the costs? Can you obtain prepaid service at reduced rate?

Thanks for your responses.

Not sure about extended but here is the standard warranty which is pretty hefty compared to other car companies for the battery:

1648696192187.png

What is “body and paint repair”?
Not sure that chips apply to that but an example could be that in the Dreams when you close your trunk, the bottom of the trunk rubs against the top of the bumper causing the paint to rub off.

I had some scratches on the black plastic part about the trunk and they replaced that for me.

I had some scratches on the black plastic part about the trunk and they replaced that for me.

They replaced my cantrails and bow due to scratches as well as an interior piece or two.

Replacing my bow cracked the rear glass (sad face) but they’ll fix that too.

They replaced my cantrails and bow due to scratches as well as an interior piece or two.

Replacing my bow cracked the rear glass (sad face) but they’ll fix that too.
My car is in for PPF and ceramic coating and installer called to say there are more scratches than he was expecting and that he can’t get them out due to the thinness of the paint/veneer. I have the Zenith Red. I’ve attached a video he sent. I washed the car by hand once and was pretty careful. What do some of you think? Is this par for the course or should I raise a stink? Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• EBF0EAB1-2FFC-48F7-95F5-13AACD4AAF7B.JPG
    EBF0EAB1-2FFC-48F7-95F5-13AACD4AAF7B.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 303
  • AFA271B9-1F2D-4716-86C1-1F05D490A52B.JPG
    AFA271B9-1F2D-4716-86C1-1F05D490A52B.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 304
My car is in for PPF and ceramic coating and installer called to say there are more scratches than he was expecting and that he can’t get them out due to the thinness of the paint/veneer. I have the Zenith Red. I’ve attached a video he sent. I washed the car by hand once and was pretty careful. What do some of you think? Is this par for the course or should I raise a stink? Thanks for any suggestions.

Pretty apparent scratches for a $140,000 car. I say raise a stink.

Those look pretty easy to spot, did you not notice them at pickup?

I did not notice them at pickup (it was raining pretty hard. As far as the doors, they only replaced the internal trim.
Raise stink. Thin paint may cause more problems a year from now and in other areas.

My car is in for PPF and ceramic coating and installer called to say there are more scratches than he was expecting and that he can’t get them out due to the thinness of the paint/veneer. I have the Zenith Red.

I had my Zenith Red ceramic coated within a week of delivery. The coating person found the paint job to be quite good, requiring no paint correction, and he had no issues in lightly polishing the car to create the bonding surface for the Opti-Coat Pro 3. (Unlike the other colors, the Zenith Red has both a tint coat atop the base color as well as a true clear coat.) However, I had seen some comments that the Air paint is quite soft, as are many modern water-based automotive paints.

Either a paint protection film or a quality ceramic coating would be a very good idea.

I had my Zenith Red ceramic coated within a week of delivery. The coating person found the paint job to be quite good, requiring no paint correction, and he had no issues in lightly polishing the car to create the bonding surface for the Opti-Coat Pro 3. (Unlike the other colors, the Zenith Red has both a tint coat atop the base color as well as a true clear coat.) However, I had seen some comments that the Air paint is quite soft, as are many modern water-based automotive paints.

Either a paint protection film or a quality ceramic coating would be a very good idea.
Thanks. I am putting PPF and ceramic coating on the car. The coating person is the one who pointed out the scratches. He said the clear coat is so thin, he can’t fix the scratches without ruining the paint. He measured the clear coat and said it’s less than half the thickness he usually sees. I have a call out to the service manager in Riviera Beach.

That’s the type of factory paint defect they will fix. Call service. Chevrolet does it for their corvette customers. They know if it’s a factory produced defect under the clear coat or after delivery defects. They will inspect it. Your PPF guys are probably right. All companies struggle with this.

Last edited:
In 2016, I bought 8-year extended warranty and 8-year prepaid service for my Model S. Is extended warranty available with Lucid?

Is annual service expected and what are the costs? Can you obtain prepaid service at reduced rate?

Thanks for your responses.
I was informed by rep yesterday that extended warranty should be available once more data is available on residuals.

Not sure about extended but here is the standard warranty which is pretty hefty compared to other car companies for the battery:

View attachment 1303
8 years/100,000 miles is the minimum federal requirement for EV battery warranty.

For cars sold in California the minimum requirement might be 10yrs/150,000? Not positive about that though:

8 years/100,000 miles is the minimum federal requirement for EV battery warranty.

For cars sold in California the minimum requirement might be 10yrs/150,000? Not positive about that though:

This only applies to PZEVs, aka Hybrid vehicles. There is no federal or California-mandated warranty, to my knowledge, for ZEVs (zero emission vehicles).

I am pretty sure the Federal requirement applies to both (which would make sense to me- it’s not like a BEV battery is less important to the utility of the vehicle compared to a hybrid). I doubt you would be able to find a new EV for sale in the US with less than 8yrs/100,000 miles battery coverage.

I’m not in CA so don’t know much about that but for whatever it’s worth KBB seems to think there is a 10yr/150,000 minimum for both EV and hybrid batteries

Edit: I wonder if CARB treats ZEVs (as they do hybrids) as a subset of PZEVs (ie PZEV requirements apply where relevant, but superseded where more stringent ZEV requirements exist)? As an aside the PZEV warranty requirements for ICE cars with PZEV designation are not widely known. The 15yr/150,000mi fuel system/emissions warranty covers almost everything engine related. I would guess 98% of owners of PZEV ICE cars are not aware of that.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the Federal requirement applies to both (which would make sense to me- it’s not like a BEV battery is less important to the utility of the vehicle compared to a hybrid). I doubt you would be able to find a new EV for sale in the US with less than 8yrs/100,000 miles battery coverage.

I’m not in CA so don’t know much about that but for whatever it’s worth KBB seems to think there is a 10yr/150,000 minimum for both EV and hybrid batteries

Edit: I wonder if CARB treats ZEVs (as they do hybrids) as a subset of PZEVs (ie PZEV requirements apply where relevant, but superseded where more stringent ZEV requirements exist)? As an aside the PZEV warranty requirements for ICE cars with PZEV designation are not widely known. The 15yr/150,000mi fuel system/emissions warranty covers almost everything engine related. I would guess 98% of owners of PZEV ICE cars are not aware of that.
I think @borski is right, PZEV vs ZEV are considered different vehicle types and it would need to specifically state ZEV

Back