Electric water heater credit

EVCar

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT
The new bill supposedly gives $1,750 tax credit for electric water heater.
Any thoughts on this and recommendations?

The new tax credit is for a hybrid (heat pump) electric water heater. I'd go for it if my house had an electric tank water heater. But mine's gas. Not worth running a new heavy circuit to make the switch to electric.

If you plan on installing a new water heater soon, then yes, it’s a great idea.

Natural gas was once considered to be a “clean” energy source, at least with respect to coal. But we’ve learned now that methane is a greenhouse gas, and it’s production is disastrous for the environment. Some municipalities have actually banned the installation of new natural gas appliances altogether, with many sure to follow.

Similar to installing a 220 EV car charger, this upgrade will require en electrician to come and run a new line from the panel. Copper prices are high, so the cost will be entirely dependent on the distance from the breaker. Ask any electrician to come down and give you a quote before committing to the plumbing install.

Good luck.

If I already have a tankless, can I take advantage by buying a new one?

Glad, to have found this thread. I have to check with accountant to see if we'll qualify. Need to put in a pair to increase flow rate. Stiebel Eltron says their unit is "heat pump" but isn't a hybrid so will need to read the language.

Glad, to have found this thread. I have to check with accountant to see if we'll qualify. Need to put in a pair to increase flow rate. Stiebel Eltron says their unit is "heat pump" but isn't a hybrid so will need to read the language.
Please do share what you find out.

Back