Electric Rates, Let’s Share

Boomer AZ

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
Here are my latest Electric Rates from APS here in Northern Arizona. I have solar and Tesla batteries so I never buy power during peak periods, so no peak demand charges. I sell power back to APS for .104/kWh, a pretty sweet deal. So off-peak I sell all the power I generate. In a couple of months our peak rate period narrows to just 4PM to 7PM.

1647964070328.jpeg

These are the rates unless you are grandfathered into an old plan.

Screenshot_20220322-090214_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220322-090220_Chrome.jpg

I am at just under $.09 flat rate.

(I don't actually pay these, because with solar, all my electricity is covered)
Tucson Electric Power (TEP) for Residential Time of Use:

Energy Charges (per kWh):
0 - 500. $0.082115
501 - 1,000 $0.093374
Over 1,000 $0.099703​
Power Supply Charge (per kWh):
Summer (May – September)​
Base Power Supply On-Peak $0.059449​
Base Power Supply Off-Peak $0.023516​
Winter (October – April)​
Base Power Supply On-Peak $0.029083​
Base Power Supply Off-Peak $0.022908​
TIME-OF-USE TIME PERIODS
The Summer On-Peak period is 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day).​
The Winter On-Peak periods are 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day).​

SDG&E gives you the most expensive rates in the country! For EV owners, the best rate is the TOU5 plan which costs $16 per months but gets ‘cheap‘ electricity for 6 hours a day at the LOW rate of only 10.842 cents per kWh. Otherwise it is 65 cents.

Attachments

• 748EECC0-C7F6-4B2B-8555-D08583CECE38.jpeg
    748EECC0-C7F6-4B2B-8555-D08583CECE38.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 104
SDG&E gives you the most expensive rates in the country! For EV owners, the best rate is the TOU5 plan which costs $16 per months but gets ‘cheap‘ electricity for 6 hours a day at the LOW rate of only 10.842 cents per kWh. Otherwise it is 65 cents.
Oh my, quite the case for Solar.

Otherwise it is 65 cents
This is why I'm staying on flat rate of $0.39 for tier 1. I live in Esco so AC in the summer is required unlike on the coast where a lot of folks don't even have AC installed. For the first 3 years, I figure on using EA to get to 80% once or twice a month and topping off at home if required. Tesla battery degradation studies seem to indicate that kind of frequency of fast charging doesn't impact battery life/capacity. Solar covers almost all my demand except for summer AC use and 1 month of winter. Once EA free charging expires, I may have to reconsider which rate plan I use.

Our rate with SCE (We live in the OC, SoCal) ranges from $0.28 to $0.46, depending on the total monthly usage. We have solar, hence just net-meter, and aren't charged based on TOU (Time Of Usage).

We just upgraded our solar system, from 25 panels to 40 panels (were debating between the Tesla battery and the additional solar panels and went with the latter). On a typical sunny day, if we don't use AC or charge our Teslas, our system can pump as much as 60kWh back into the SCE grid. But with heavy EV usage (especially the upcoming Lucid and Rivian), we think we'll net even.

We never use the Tesla superchargers and don't think we'll use the EA that much either. Having solar to charge the EV at home help to elevate the ownership experience. Still use our Escalade ESV for long trips and don't plan to change.

UuGhFia.jpg

0K8Few3.jpg

This is why I'm staying on flat rate of $0.39 for tier 1. I live in Esco so AC in the summer is required unlike on the coast where a lot of folks don't even have AC installed. For the first 3 years, I figure on using EA to get to 80% once or twice a month and topping off at home if required. Tesla battery degradation studies seem to indicate that kind of frequency of fast charging doesn't impact battery life/capacity. Solar covers almost all my demand except for summer AC use and 1 month of winter. Once EA free charging expires, I may have to reconsider which rate plan I use.
We have a Nissan Leaf for daily use and charge every overnight. Last year at True-up, we had average $50 per month on this rate plan (TOU5). It absolutely makes sense For us. Might want to do the math. For us, it would have made sense to switch to that even if we were not charging the EV and just had the solar. We run the dishwasher overnight at the cheap rate. Ditto for the washing machine and dryer. We have very little on peak use and the solar gives us a lot of Credits to pay for that On peak use. Typical recent day for us:

Attachments

• 854BB1BD-2236-41F0-86B2-2F1D2F3D355D.jpeg
    854BB1BD-2236-41F0-86B2-2F1D2F3D355D.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Our rate with SCE (We live in the OC, SoCal) ranges from $0.28 to $0.46, depending on the total monthly usage. We have solar, hence just net-meter, and aren't charged based on TOU (Time Of Usage).

We just upgraded our solar system, from 25 panels to 40 panels (were debating between the Tesla battery and the additional solar panels and went with the latter). On a typical sunny day, if we don't use AC or charge our Teslas, our system can pump as much as 60kWh back into the SCE grid. But with heavy EV usage (especially the upcoming Lucid and Rivian), we think we'll net even.

We never use the Tesla superchargers and don't think we'll use the EA that much either. Having solar to charge the EV at home help to elevate the ownership experience. Still use our Escalade ESV for long trips and don't plan to change.

UuGhFia.jpg

0K8Few3.jpg
How are you not in TOU plan? SCE forced me into TOU when I installed solar last year.

SDG&E is really bad. If you have existing solar you are grandfathered to the tier system but the duration is limited. Most will expire over the next few years. All new solar and most other residential users in CA are required to go to TOU. No brainer to go solar here in South OC. 75 panels (about 20 Kw) and 4 Tesla power walls. Haven't paid for electricity in 15 years. We drive alot, so the EVs will tax the system. Likely have to buy a little after the free EA expires. Power so cheap in AZ we can't get that to pencil out, so we just use TOU there.

Way up here in northwest Washington, we just pay a flat rate of $0.0755/Kwh. This does not change regarding off peak or peak hours. However, we also pay a residential electrical base of $6.73 plus a tax of $3.86. Thus, when you add it all up and divide it by the 763 Kwh I used last month, the actual cost that I pay is $0.0894/Kwh. While we do have some solar way up here, we mostly have lots of hyrdoelectric dams which keeps our costs so low. I guess there is some benefit for all the rain we get.....🌂

Houston/Katy Texas
$0.12/kWh last year
$0.13/kWh this year

Was at Hawaii few months ago. $0.34/kWh nonsense there.

At London now…

it’s 28p/kWh or $0.36/kWh

Gasoline is £1.7/Litter or $6.4/Gallon

Last edited:
DFW area....just switched plans two days ago following install of solar....

$0.136 kWh - rate I pay to electric company for power coming in from the grid
$0.0389 kWh - rate I pay to distribution (lines, etc) company for power coming in from the grid
$0.136 kWh - credit rate for power returned to the grid, no monthly rollover of credit if I sell more than I buy
$5.00/mo - Service Fee to electric company
$3.42/mo - Service Fee Distribution company

So the least I will pay per month will be $5.00 + $3.42 + .0389kWh for incoming power only. I designed the system to (a) be 110% of yearly needs after arrival of the GT and (b) run off battery during the night. Of course, weather and seasonal variation (daylight hours) will drive actual cost.

The purpose of the Air bi-directional charging will be to get us through multiple days of no grid power and limited sunshine.

Back