EA inconsistency question.

Tesla2.0

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
Does anyone know why one EA stall can handshake another AGT, but mine failed 5 times? It kept referring me to Lucid mobile app. Did I do something wrong? (I went to another stall to pay to charge instead of free charge.)

• Sad
Reactions: NPN
it’s a software problem, not you. I met another lucid near Toronto last night that was able to charge on an Electrify Canada stall that I had just abandoned for not working. There is something wrong that doesn’t seem to be the users fault.

• Sad
Reactions: NPN
Does anyone know why one EA stall can handshake another AGT, but mine failed 5 times? It kept referring me to Lucid mobile app. Did I do something wrong? (I went to another stall to pay to charge instead of free charge.)
I remember @Sandvinsd had an issue after an update that turned off a module that allowed their car to utilize EA handshake. Contacted CC and had it “turned back on.” Now, can’t speak to the consistency only EA afterwards, and my own experience has honestly been really good. Just plugged in 2 min ago at one of my local EA stations and it initiated charging right away like always. I probably have had 98% success with my local stations.

There seems to be two serious EA problems. One is the handshake before charging, and then one is a vehicle protocol error seen on the EA end right after charging has initiated. The one I get 100% of the time at my local station is failure to charge after the handshake. Plug and charge works, it confirms payment, and then it quits 2 seconds after starting charging and the charger port is solid green. I’ve only had the handshake fail a couple times at other EA locations, both times it was resolved by choosing the station number in the Lucid app. Lucid knows about both problems, so does EA, and this has been a major issue for at least two months and there’s still no fix, although Lucid rep did tell me they’re working on an update to address it.
Here’s what they told me: “Yes sir, we're close to finding the culprit in regards to this situation, which will be refined with OTA updates. Moreover, if service is needed to fix this, then we will let you know and book you an apt. Again, thank you for the detailed response. Very resourceful for us to diagnose the issue.”

There seems to be two serious EA problems....
That was my impression after "charging" in South Lake Tahoe - two separate, frequent, show-stopping problems that may or may not be Lucid's bugs. In addition to EA's problem of some of the chargers being out of service.

I’ve only had the handshake fail a couple times at other EA locations, both times it was resolved by choosing the station number in the Lucid app.
Where do I find that Info? Is it as in the diagram? What if Electrify America button never shows up in Lucid mobile app?

E25255D4-584D-46FE-A1D1-18B9ADA6A604.jpeg
386AD68F-F9F7-4902-B347-12206A73D437.jpeg

Where do I find that Info? Is it as in the diagram? What if Electrify America button never shows up in Lucid mobile app?

View attachment 6669View attachment 6670
Sometimes when you plug in you’ll get an alert from the app saying to authenticate via the app, and when you click on the charging icon it will then give you a list of the chargers and you can choose the one you’re connected to. But this happens inconsistently.

And yeah EA is getting worse. Here’s Tom Moloughney today… . There are going to be a LOT of people driving for Thanksgiving, I’m definitely going to have a plan C/D/E cuz the EA I was going to charge at as recommended by ABRP (Crossgates mall in Albany) is actually dismantled and not available at all. I hope it’s just that EA is putting in new ones in time for the holidays.

I remember @Sandvinsd had an issue after an update that turned off a module that allowed their car to utilize EA handshake. Contacted CC and had it “turned back on.” Now, can’t speak to the consistency only EA afterwards, and my own experience has honestly been really good. Just plugged in 2 min ago at one of my local EA stations and it initiated charging right away like always. I probably have had 98% success with my local stations.
Yes. That happened after an update where the payment protocol got “turned off” and the car would not connect. They flipped it on, had me do a power cycle and everything worked flawlessly.

There is also the issue where the plug and play will not work and you have to authenticate through the App. This happens to me occasionally. I make sure I always have my phone available when I plug in so that if I have to open the Lucid App, I can.

The third issue is more concerning. We have a newer EA station - just opened about 2 months ago. That one will not connect to the Lucid - ever. I have had Lucid and EA on a 3-way phone call twice to try and troubleshoot. Older EA stations work , but not this one. I am worried that as the stations get upgraded, whatever hardware or software in them will prevent me from charging. I will continue to test this EA station out until I am able to connect and continue to contact CC and EA about the issues until they solve it. Don’t want to be stranded on a trip.

Yes. That happened after an update where the payment protocol got “turned off” and the car would not connect. They flipped it on, had me do a power cycle and everything worked flawlessly.

There is also the issue where the plug and play will not work and you have to authenticate through the App. This happens to me occasionally. I make sure I always have my phone available when I plug in so that if I have to open the Lucid App, I can.

The third issue is more concerning. We have a newer EA station - just opened about 2 months ago. That one will not connect to the Lucid - ever. I have had Lucid and EA on a 3-way phone call twice to try and troubleshoot. Older EA stations work , but not this one. I am worried that as the stations get upgraded, whatever hardware or software in them will prevent me from charging. I will continue to test this EA station out until I am able to connect and continue to contact CC and EA about the issues until they solve it. Don’t want to be stranded on a trip.
Damn, I didn’t realize your issue was on a new EA unit. Those are the ones Kyle got 351kw on. They just replaced all the chargers at a site I’m planning on charging at on an upcoming road trip with few options in between, hope it works! I just DCFC at a EA signet unit at a mall in New Hampshire and it worked great. Got 134kw at 39% SOC on preconditioned battery but it was 38 degrees out so I’ll accept it.

It's possible this question has been answered, but I couldn't find it after a brief search.

ON some EA stations, I'm seeing the power levels, as reported on my dash "cycling" from 50 kW to 100 kW pretty rapidly (like every 30~60 seconds). I don't see that on my wife's Ioniq 5 on the same DCFC. WTF....? Any clues out there? That's can't be good for either the DCFC nor the car.

It's possible this question has been answered, but I couldn't find it after a brief search.

ON some EA stations, I'm seeing the power levels, as reported on my dash "cycling" from 50 kW to 100 kW pretty rapidly (like every 30~60 seconds). I don't see that on my wife's Ioniq 5 on the same DCFC. WTF....? Any clues out there? That's can't be good for either the DCFC nor the car.
It is a known problem for EA Signet chargers and cars with 800 or 900 volt batteries. EA is working on a fix. The problem is voltage dependent and comes and goes as a SOC (battery voltage) increases during charging.

Thanks. Anywhere I can go to get more info? Interesting I haven't noticed this on my wife's I5.... I'm trying to think if the dash displays power like the Air does? Not sure now.

Thanks. Anywhere I can go to get more info? Interesting I haven't noticed this on my wife's I5.... I'm trying to think if the dash displays power like the Air does? Not sure now.
EA isn't talking about it publicly. You can search for "Signet surge" and Kyle Connor on Twitter.

I plugged in at 35% and was pulling about ~115 KWh and I went inside Walmart. Upon returning, I saw Rivian next to me at about 30% SOC and was pulling ~ 215 KWh.

We were the only ones at 350KWh right next to each other. I hope EA/Lucid fixes this soon..

I plugged in at 35% and was pulling about ~115 KWh and I went inside Walmart. Upon returning, I saw Rivian next to me at about 30% SOC and was pulling ~ 215 KWh.

We were the only ones at 350KWh right next to each other. I hope EA/Lucid fixes this soon..
Try the other cable next time

Try the other cable next time
Will do. But what’s the reasoning behind using the other cable?
We both charged on left side of the cables, they were not next to each other.

Will do. But what’s the reasoning behind using the other cable?
We both charged on left side of the cables, they were not next to each other.
Each cable is controlled by its own set of modules. So if something is wrong with one set the other set may be better. I've seen a difference of 40 kw before just by swapping cables.

Each cable is controlled by its own set of modules. So if something is wrong with one set the other set may be better. I've seen a difference of 40 kw before just by swapping cables.
I've also seen one cable simply not work, while the other one works fine. Weird, but it happens.

Each cable has its own temperature sensor and cooling loop. If either of those isn't working, you'll get much lower power from that cable. Of course, this only applies to the older two-cable units.

Of course the other day I tried both cables and got exactly 72kW on a 150 charger @30% SOC with a preconditioned battery. Not acceptable

Back