Driving To San Francisco from Laguna Hills

avadera

Cars
Grand Touring Air
DE Number
Driving to San Francisco from Laguna Hills. I own Grand Touring Air with 519 miles range with 19" wheel. How far can I reach before charging? Is Electrify America Chargers reliable on the way?

There is an extensive thread about this here:

Driving to San Francisco from Laguna Hills. I own Grand Touring Air with 519 miles range with 19" wheel. How far can I reach before charging? Is Electrify America Chargers reliable on the way?
And a very good thread here:

i used the new EA chargers in Kettleman City and they were flawless. @hydbob 's dad had some issues there but worked for me when i was there. in fact, all of the newly upgraded EA chargers have been flawless. i think the EA chargers at Harris Ranch is more popular among folks here.

I do UCLA to Palo Alto almost weekly. I have the same car specifications as you. My drive distance is 350 miles. I can get there on one charge but will have just 50-20 miles or so left. So, I take I-5 and top up in Kettleman. It's a great EA station close to a fantastic burrito place. I have never had to wait or failed to charge. If you go US 101 way, it's much longer but there are quite a few smaller EA places. I use Paso Robles. BTW, I drive 75mph.

Hello neighbor! We’ve made that same trip 3 times. I cannot make the entire trip in one stop due to human fatigue. As mentioned, Harris Ranch is a decent stop.

I do UCLA to Palo Alto almost weekly. I have the same car specifications as you. My drive distance is 350 miles. I can get there on one charge but will have just 50-20 miles or so left. So, I take I-5 and top up in Kettleman. It's a great EA station close to a fantastic burrito place. I have never had to wait or failed to charge. If you go US 101 way, it's much longer but there are quite a few smaller EA places. I use Paso Robles. BTW, I drive 75mph.
Also on 101… Bob’s Well Bread in Los Alamos. Plug in EA…. Run across the street and enjoy while you admire your car across the field 😊

Hello neighbor! We’ve made that same trip 3 times. I cannot make the entire trip in one stop due to human fatigue. As mentioned, Harris Ranch is a decent stop.
Agree, we do plan on stopping for bio and coffee. I am glad to see that we can make there in one charge. Although, we will fully charge on the way so that we are not scrambling at SFO.

i used the new EA chargers in Kettleman City and they were flawless. @hydbob 's dad had some issues there but worked for me when i was there. in fact, all of the newly upgraded EA chargers have been flawless. i think the EA chargers at Harris Ranch is more popular among folks here.
Thay are ALL not working now

Thay are ALL not working now
Hard to say - EA's app shows them offline, but as of Feb 6 a couple people mentioned them working OK on Plugshare.

Hard to say - EA's app shows them offline, but as of Feb 6 a couple people mentioned them working OK on Plugshare.
Hard to tell, indeed! They weren't working on the 5th when I was there. I just spoke to EA, and they say they are down for software maintenance. No estimate of when they will be up again. But, yes, they may be up, and no one told the staff. I am just unsure and worried about taking the chance to find out for myself again.

Hard to tell, indeed! They weren't working on the 5th when I was there. I just spoke to EA, and they say they are down for software maintenance. No estimate of when they will be up again. But, yes, they may be up, and no one told the staff. I am just unsure and worried about taking the chance to find out for myself again.
I just read on PlugShare that the Kettleman City and Harris Ranch EA stations are up and working even though the EA app says they ain't. I called EA who again told me that Kettlema City was all down. I doubt the users on the PlugShare app are lying so... confused. Has anyone been there actually in the past couple of days?

Anecdotal evidence but the Ontario Mills EA chargers all said offline last weekend and I charged there 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nicely put. 350mi at 70mph avg is 5 hrs driving time. 2 stops for 20 min at a time are my preference to avoid getting tired. ACC at 70 vs driving at 75 and slowing down for others makes little difference. It is an interesting trade off and no right or wrong answer. 5mph in 5 hrs saves you max 25min but probably 15min. I like to arrive 15 min late but very relaxed and have some more range left over.

Back