Driving an EV in HOV Lane?

Keithmaj

Verified Owner
Cars
RX350, IB/Tahoe Touring
Referral Code
6EDNB149
I was juicing early this morning at a Cinemark theater (had to), when I noticed an ad on their electronic billboard stating something about "... 13 states now allow EVs to drive in an HOV lane with only the driver in the car". I did a Google search and it appears that is now the case for TX EV drivers. You might check your state's law as having an HOV/Carpool sticker may no longer be required for EVs...

Thats one of the reasons we have 2 EV's in our household.

California is phasing this out at the end of Sep 2025, due to large numbers of vehicles in HOV lanes reducing speeds/carrying capacity to that of adjacent lanes or below. A good percentage of solo drivers in HOV lanes were there illegally, driving a gas powered vehicle or a BEV with missing or expired HOV stickers. It's difficult to enforce HOV lanes when a budget-limited police force is busy with more critical duties. So the former HOV lanes are being turned into electronic express tollways, with a discount for HOV and BEVs. No free rides for EVs any more as they rapidly increase in numbers in California - nearly 25% of new car sales currently.

California is phasing this out at the end of Sep 2025, due to large numbers of vehicles in HOV lanes reducing speeds/carrying capacity to that of adjacent lanes or below. A good percentage of solo drivers in HOV lanes were there illegally, driving a gas powered vehicle or a BEV with missing or expired HOV stickers. It's difficult to enforce HOV lanes when a budget-limited police force is busy with more critical duties. So the former HOV lanes are being turned into electronic express tollways, with a discount for HOV and BEVs. No free rides for EVs any more as they rapidly increase in numbers in California - nearly 25% of new car sales currently.
In the Denver Metro area, all HOV lanes work similarly. Three people to a vehicle get the lane for free; everyone else can pay their way into using the lane if they really need to go faster. No special access or discounts for EVs at all.

I actually think it works pretty well. And I'm happy to pay on those occasions when I'm really in a hurry. And bonus: No ugly stickers on my car.

Utah allows it. And, Salt Lake City has free metered parking for EVs.

Back