[RESOLVED] Does your front footwell woofer work properly?

Can you hear/feel the woofer in the Driver footwell?

• Total voters

windscar911

Verified Owner
Cars
Air, 911
@Bobby showed me that there's a Subwoofer in the driver side footwell. Mine doesn't seem to work, even after a reset.

1. Please play "Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi" on Tidal. Youtube reference -
2. Set the volume to 50%.
3. Put your hand or ear on the little leather panel next to the dead pedal
4. Do you feel the Subwoofer working?

Side note - the speakers in the rear seat sound...surreal. First time I tried sitting back there.

I will check tomorrow. I think I’m at factory settings in treble and bass anyway. Out of curiosity does everyone have to set the volume at 1/2 to 2/3 to get a decent not at all loud volume out of the system?

I will check tomorrow. I think I’m at factory settings in treble and bass anyway. Out of curiosity does everyone have to set the volume at 1/2 to 2/3 to get a decent not at all loud volume out of the system?
On the volume, yes. I think the volume scale might be logarithmic rather than a linear 0-100%.

On the volume, yes. I think the volume scale might be logarithmic rather than a linear 0-100%.
Perhaps, but the max volume is far less than other cars.

@Bobby showed me that there's a Subwoofer in the driver side footwell. Mine doesn't seem to work, even after a reset.

1. Please play "Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi" on Tidal. Youtube reference -
2. Set the volume to 50%.
3. Put your hand or ear on the little leather panel next to the dead pedal
4. Do you feel the Subwoofer working?

Side note - the speakers in the rear seat sound...surreal. First time I tried sitting back there.
I am not audiophile, but I do sense vibration there with that song.

Also not an audiophile, but I do feel something as well. It does feel weak. When putting my ear to it sounds more like a rattle than anything. I don't know how much punch a subwoofer in that small area can provide. Couldn't tell you if it's defective or not.

I will check this out after I return home in a few days . Curious, what made people suspicious of a subwoofer malfunction?
Is it a perceived lack of bass? Bass really cranks with some songs and others not so much.

Also not an audiophile, but I do feel something as well. It does feel weak. When putting my ear to it sounds more like a rattle than anything. I don't know how much punch a subwoofer in that small area can provide. Couldn't tell you if it's defective or not.
A weak vibration would be normal operation I think.
A rattle is not normal though. It should be "tight". Obviously pretty hard to describe here.

I will check this out after I return home in a few days . Curious, what made people suspicious of a subwoofer malfunction?
Is it a perceived lack of bass? Bass really cranks with some songs and others not so much.
I sat in another owner's car and immediately felt that the sound was better. Their car seems to have a loose or blown sub in the front but it still sounded way punchier than mine. Mine just sounds very flat in front. Backseat sounded incredible.
I didn't even know there was a sub there but it was very easy to test if it was working or not. Mine's definitely not.

Which panel are you talking about?
I'll share a picture later tonight.

From my OP - "Put your hand or ear on the little leather panel next to the dead pedal"
It's a little leather panel right next to your ankle if you're resting your foot on the dead pedal. There's a speaker behind it.

Something is wrong with mine, I have to turn it up to 70% volume to hear bass at all, and even then, there's nothing below 90-110Hz

Something is wrong with mine, I have to turn it up to 70% volume to hear bass at all, and even then, there's nothing below 90-110Hz
Same in the back seat? My rear decklid speakers are definitely thumping hard.

Same in the back seat? My rear decklid speakers are definitely thumping hard.
Same in the back, John at Lucid told me he would listen and tell me if it was normal. Hope it is broken so that I won't have to spend a grip to make it right.

Even if it's not, the Lucid will never bump and give you that chest thump that many owners say is lacking. It's just not the way the system was designed because it's tuned for Atmos and you don't find that thunp through your chest bass in Atmos format. Like @bunnylebowski said before, that extra bass is to cover up crappy source material.

Even if it's not, the Lucid will never bump and give you that chest thump that many owners say is lacking. It's just not the way the system was designed because it's tuned for Atmos and you don't find that thunp through your chest bass in Atmos format. Like @bunnylebowski said before, that extra bass is to cover up crappy source material.
I personally disagree with this viewpoint but I understand what is being conveyed.

Atmos isn't designed to render true to life Mastered audio. It's designed to provide a "flavored" listening experience(amazing for movies). It has nothing to do with Bass specifically. The codec just supports positional audio.

I understand that boomy and loud bass is often used to provide an "impressive" feeling in sub par systems. Great audio systems are very balanced and not overly bass heavy. My particular car cannot get to "medium" bass levels and tends to have a very narrow, forward focused soundstage.
I suspect something is wrong because the rear is an entirely different experience.

I have to say, I’ve been thumped by a few tracks.😜😜

Tea
I personally disagree with this viewpoint but I understand what is being conveyed.

Atmos isn't designed to render true to life Mastered audio. It's designed to provide a "flavored" listening experience(amazing for movies). It has nothing to do with Bass specifically. The codec just supports positional audio.

I understand that boomy and loud bass is often used to provide an "impressive" feeling in sub par systems. Great audio systems are very balanced and not overly bass heavy. My particular car cannot get to "medium" bass levels and tends to have a very narrow, forward focused soundstage.
I suspect something is wrong because the rear is an entirely different experience.

Really dumb question. Have you messed with you balance settings in the car?
I put mine slightly toward the back at about 45 front 55 back and I like the way it sounds. Just a personal preference. Also, many recommend turning bass up to +4 or + 6. I also have my treble and mid down just a bit.
For me , depending on the Atmos track, my ears would get blasted in the front, that’s when I moved it ever so slightly back. If you really want to get your ears perked up listen to the beginning of Al Jarreau’s Morning Song. The first few moments are really loud.
You sound like an audio expert so this is probably old news.

hydbob said:

I'm so glad to hear your ultimately correct opinion, and I am so glad I am incorrect about what I prefer, which is to listen to full sounding music at lower volumes like my system at home.

I'll be sure to sell all my home gear and do exactly as you say with my car also.
Okay we should reel this back in 😬
We're just expressing our opinions. I think there's a lot of history in the audio discussion specifically and OGs like hydbob are merely conveying information from other threads.

I'm sure none of us are married to our opinions and are always listening and willing to change them.

Tea

Really dumb question. Have you messed with you balance settings in the car?
I put mine slightly toward the back at about 45 front 55 back and I like the way it sounds. Just a personal preference. Also, many recommend turning bass up to +4 or + 6. I also have my treble and mid down just a bit.
For me , depending on the Atmos track, my ears would get blasted in the front, that’s when I moved it ever so slightly back. If you really want to get your ears perked up listen to the beginning of Al Jarreau’s morning song. The first few moments are really loud.
You sound like an audio expert so this is probably old news.
I've left the balance centered actually. I do have bass set to +5(1 less than max).

You might not already know this but Atmos completely ignores your balance preferences. That's kinda Atmos' whole deal. It's spacial audio.

Back