Ordering and Delivery: Lucid Air Touring

You are right in most of your concerns. However buying a luxury car with resale value in mind may not be a good idea. Tesla's resale value for now may be there because of its unique place as the first to the market, however as more and better EV's come on the road, I doubt that resale value will be there few years down the road.
Tesla's are holding up not just for their cars (though inferior build quality) but for their well maintained charging network and software upgrades over the time which unfortunately the new manufacturers are still catching up! Like, I received an email from Rivian recently that Tesla had like many years ago! :

"Roomy entry and exit lets Rivian drivers set up a personalized profile with their preferred seating and steering wheel position for entering and exiting the vehicle. After the driver parks and unbuckles their seatbelt, the truck or SUV will automatically move to the chosen configuration, staying there until the driver re-enters the vehicle, taps the brake and shifts into gear.
By invitation, friends and family members can also create their own driver profiles with the Rivian app. This way, they can add their preferred seating and steering wheel positions as well."

EV's are considered gadgets these days and best software is the only way to compete.

Tesla's are holding up not just for their cars (though inferior build quality) but for their well maintained charging network and software upgrades over the time which unfortunately the new manufacturers are still catching up! Like, I received an email from Rivian recently that Tesla had like many years ago! :

"Roomy entry and exit lets Rivian drivers set up a personalized profile with their preferred seating and steering wheel position for entering and exiting the vehicle. After the driver parks and unbuckles their seatbelt, the truck or SUV will automatically move to the chosen configuration, staying there until the driver re-enters the vehicle, taps the brake and shifts into gear.
By invitation, friends and family members can also create their own driver profiles with the Rivian app. This way, they can add their preferred seating and steering wheel positions as well."

EV's are considered gadgets these days and best software is the only way to compete.
It took years for Tesla to get there. When I first switched from my i3 to my Model S it was like going back to the dark ages, the software was so basic. You couldn't even maintain cabin temp in the Tesla - something I had used almost daily in San Diego. Was I disappointed, yes, but they eventually came out with it.

Two things that attracted me to Lucid other than the thrilling test drive. Rawlinson for his street creds and Saudis for their money 💰 😆! Not a guarantee, but not a bad start either.
what kind of street creds? i heard mixed reviews about him.

Have you ever had to use the extended warranty? I was always under the impression that these were useless cash grabs by legacy automakers so I've never purchased one.
Yes, I’ve used it for our 2010 Nissan Murano. To me, extended warranties are like insurance - nice to have but you hope you never have to use it. Main concern I have is warranty for the electronics. Replacing a main display can’t be cheap. I’d like to know the fine print on what’s covered. I’m using my ICE point of reference because I’ve never owned an EV.

Principle designer of the Tesla Model S.
Not according to Elon. Peter was just some schmuck who worked in the factory 😂

Not according to Elon. Peter was just some schmuck who worked in the factory 😂
And Twitter was 'trivial to fix' despite every advertiser running away within hours of him buying it, so I mean... I'll take Peter's humility over Elon's arrogance and histrionics any day.

Hearing Peter refer to the Sapphire specs as 'satisfactory' is part of the reason I'm so happy I bought this car. I would prefer someone with honesty and humility talking about their products, rather than 'ludicrous' or 'insane' mode.

Just got back from Millbrae and was able to get a couple pictures of a showroom Touring they now have.
- Touring seats are slightly different than GT's. Leather is different, but also more limited adjustments as seen in the UI. Obviously no massage, and looks like headrest has limited adjustment too.
- Got pic of back seat depth, definitely substantial and looking from driver's side you definitely notice the depth.

Lot of cars in the parking lot, spilling out from the back into the customer area and crammed into the garage.
The leather is different? Thought they are both Nappa leather.

Does anyone have a guess on how many Touring Reservations are out the of the 30 some odd thousand total reservations they announced at the last earnings call?

It took years for Tesla to get there. When I first switched from my i3 to my Model S it was like going back to the dark ages, the software was so basic. You couldn't even maintain cabin temp in the Tesla - something I had used almost daily in San Diego. Was I disappointed, yes, but they eventually came out with it.
I won't start writing an application today from scratch like reinvent the wheel. Rivian and other EV manufacturers should have the existing EV industry standard software features already included and more to compete, not catching up! Lucid and Rivian still doesn't have Dashcam options. Btw, I had a 2013 Model S and the software was pretty advanced enough at that time compared to legacy automakers. Not sure what dark ages you're referring to! Didn't experience any issues with cabin temperature but my most pressing concern was range in cold temperatures. Sure, Tesla had many issues that were resolved over the years but there were numerous features introduced that were next level.

I'm so ready to get my VIN. I'm obsessively checking my order on the LUCID website. I have a Cosmos Silver, Santa Cruz with all options and 20" wheels so I feel like it should be soon. I would love to get it in December. I'm ready to join the club! It's been a long time since I reserved in March!
Ah. Now you got my attention! I was told that the DA would call me with a VIN for the Derek Jenkins Pure when the time comes. I had no idea that it will be on the order.

I won't start writing an application today from scratch like reinvent the wheel. Rivian and other EV manufacturers should have the existing EV industry standard software features already included and more to compete, not catching up! Lucid and Rivian still doesn't have Dashcam options. Btw, I had a 2013 Model S and the software was pretty advanced enough at that time compared to legacy automakers. Not sure what dark ages you're referring to! Didn't experience any issues with cabin temperature but my most pressing concern was range in cold temperatures. Sure, Tesla had many issues that were resolved over the years but there were numerous features introduced that were next level.
Existing EV industry standard? There is no such thing.

Wait, you think when all software gets written, it’s just freely publicly available to anyone else who wants it?

Yes, open source is a thing, but if you think Tesla is open sourcing anything you are sadly very mistaken.

Anyone else get the impression that progress has slowed? In the last two days there haven’t been many new VINS or delivery updates on this tracker. I’m concerned that the EOY delivery prospects are dimming. Hopefully this isn’t another case of over promising and under performing.

Existing EV industry standard? There is no such thing.

Wait, you think when all software gets written, it’s just freely publicly available to anyone else who wants it?

Yes, open source is a thing, but if you think Tesla is open sourcing anything you are sadly very mistaken.

"Existing EV industry standard? There is no such thing."
In layman terms, features we take for granted these days. I can name hundreds of them from basics to advanced but no point arguing on that.

"Wait, you think when all software gets written, it’s just freely publicly available to anyone else who wants it?"
Not sure if you understood what I meant by writing from scratch. I won't start writing an operating system with MS-DOS in mind rather my thought process would be "How to write a better/more advanced operating system than UNIX/MAC/windows or others existing in the industry".

"Open source is a thing, but if you think Tesla is open sourcing anything you are sadly very mistaken"
Just a quick review of open source patents from Tesla and patent pledge agreement will reveal everything there is! But your interpretation is sadly your opinion not a fact. Many startups can benefit from it and it'll be a win-win situation. That's my opinion.

Your comparison of i3 software to Tesla regarding cabin temperature is something very vague. If i3 was that superior, I wonder its non-existence. Not saying you didn't have an issue with Tesla but that's not the discussion here. No one wants cars manufacturers to start with tapes and slowly move on to wireless CarPlay or Android Auto... I can take tons of examples.

There's no point trolling me. Let's make it constructive for the forum.

Anyone else get the impression that progress has slowed? In the last two days there haven’t been many new VINS or delivery updates on this tracker. I’m concerned that the EOY delivery prospects are dimming. Hopefully this isn’t another case of over promising and under performing.
Yeah, I've pretty much given up on EOY delivery for Quantum Grey Touring due to Silver and White seeming to be the initial delivery colors and not a great deal of activity on here recently about VIN assignments or deliveries in those colors. Hoping there's some sort of EOY delivery metric they're trying to hit that may accelerate this in the next couple of weeks.

Back