Ordering and Delivery: Lucid Air Touring

Just talked with my DA who told me to expect delivery last week of December or first of the year. Said my vehicle was moved back 8 days in the production schedule but no reason. Has anyone else heard anything about Z Red delivery?

Reservation date: 11/19/21
Confirmation 11/2/22
Zenith Red
Tahoe interior
Glass canopy roof
19" wheels
DDP
SSP
Did your DA imply that the entire Zenith batch would be moved back?

Just talked with my DA who told me to expect delivery last week of December or first of the year. Said my vehicle was moved back 8 days in the production schedule but no reason. Has anyone else heard anything about Z Red delivery?

Confirmation 11/2/22
Zenith Red
Tahoe interior
Glass canopy roof
19" wheels
DDP
SSP
Sigh, this leaves me with the same question I still can't find an answer to. Which date will the IRS consider when determining delivery -- the date final payment is made if it's in late December and the car is not delivered by 12/31/22 OR the date the customer takes physical possession which for us Zenith Red folks, is looking like 1st week of January?

Confirmation 11/2/22
Zenith Red
Tahoe interior
Glass canopy roof
19" wheels
DDP
SSP
I heard the same about the timing but was not informed of any production delays. I've mostly resigned myself that I won't get the car until January.

Pete

I get what you are saying. But Lucid tried that with the GT, and it left many customers confused and frustrated to have their VINs assigned and then be left with zero progress indicators for months after until delivery was scheduled.

I think what Lucid is trying to avoid here is false hope. And more accusations of "failed promises."

Many people on the forum have argued Lucid needs more transparency into the process. I somewhat agree. But that process often involves days or weeks of literally nothing happening. A car can roll off the production line, then sit for weeks waiting for the PDI staff to get to it. Then wait more weeks for a carrier to take it to the delivery site. All that waiting is a perfectly natural part of the process, but to a customer with no inside knowledge of how cars are manufactured, it can easily be a source of confusion and frustration. "Why aren't you working on my car every single day?!"

That leads to more angry contact with customer service. Which adds to overhead.

The same goes for the order of reservations, plus finalizations, plus batching. Yes, it sucks that someone who wants Mojave and reserved two years ahead of me won't get their car until months after me. But they have to start with some spec. And they have to batch as many similar cars together as possible in order to deliver as many cars as possible as quickly as possible.

If it weren't for forums like this one tracking orders, most folks would have no idea some who reserved later are getting their cars sooner.

I am convinced almost all of us with hopes of a delivery this year probably have a VIN assigned already internally. Many of those cars are probably already built. But even just getting the handful of DAs on staff to email each of us to inform us of that VIN would likely take many days. (It's still a manual process.) And that's if they were doing nothing but emailing VINs to people and asking to confirm address/phone and other details.

Inevitably, some would take that VIN, apply for financing and insurance, then lose their quote when the car doesn't arrive within 30 days. Leading to more anger and frustration.

If you knew your VIN, would that give you any more knowledge about when your car will actually be delivered? Not really.

My DA still avoided guaranteeing my car will be delivered this year, even after giving me the VIN today. I think it's extremely likely I'll have it in a week or two, but there are still too many variables to sort out between now and then to be 100% sure.

I'm convinced they would not give that number out at all until they were ready for delivery if we didn't need it for insurance and/or financing.

Whatever the thought process, I think Lucid is trying to learn from the past and make corrections in the way they hand out info to customers for this Touring run. Maybe in the end they will decide they over corrected and try and find a better time to give out VINs. I don't know. It's still definitely a flawed system.

Confirmation 11/2/22
Zenith Red
Tahoe interior
Glass canopy roof
19" wheels
DDP
SSP
That is disappointing. Did your DA call you with this update?

How are you guys getting anything from your DA? Mine is either clueless or afraid of saying anything other than the party line. Basically the 1-3 months range back in late october.

I am maybe a week away from getting my car (It’s in Chicago but I am hoping it will be ready for the final leg to NY soon).

My DA has been quite responsive and patient. It is also clear that he has other clients he is working with and even texts me if I call when he is on the line with someone else to let me know that he will get back to me.

So far so good.

Super smooth!
I am interested in downgrading. Please let me know if they honored your old pricing on the Pure and did they accept to use your touring deposit towards the pure or you had to place a new order. Thanks again!

I am maybe a week away from getting my car (It’s in Chicago but I am hoping it will be ready for the final leg to NY soon).

My DA has been quite responsive and patient. It is also clear that he has other clients he is working with and even texts me if I call when he is on the line with someone else to let me know that he will get back to me.

So far so good.
Nice of him, i had to chase mine down. I guess CRM wasn't something they invested in early so no central monitoring of responsiveness. I was trying to think of the early Tesla days. On one hand early days = no structure / metrics but a lot of people who cared about the mission. I visited our service / delivery center and was honestly more struck by how little traffic / activity i was seeing in there. There doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency to fill a crush of orders.

That is disappointing. Did your DA call you with this update?
No, I called to ask about the Lucid Home Charger. I didn't ask about delivery because I'm resigned that it won't be delivered until after year end. He volunteered the info on the delivery. He confirmed that some reds will get delivered before EOY. Luck of the draw!

How are you guys getting anything from your DA? Mine is either clueless or afraid of saying anything other than the party line. Basically the 1-3 months range back in late october.
My DA has been great but I don't call often. When I confirmed Nov 2, 1 - 3 months is what he told me. Today, he was reading from a production schedule (I think) so he knew exactly when my car would be produced. I suspect the DA's all have the same access to info. Also, I'm kind of an outlier here in NC, so more populated markets probably take priority.

Sigh, this leaves me with the same question I still can't find an answer to. Which date will the IRS consider when determining delivery -- the date final payment is made if it's in late December and the car is not delivered by 12/31/22 OR the date the customer takes physical possession which for us Zenith Red folks, is looking like 1st week of January?
IRS form asks "Enter date vehicle was placed in service".

My DA has been great but I don't call often. When I confirmed Nov 2, 1 - 3 months is what he told me. Today, he was reading from a production schedule (I think) so he knew exactly when my car would be produced. I suspect the DA's all have the same access to info. Also, I'm kind of an outlier here in NC, so more populated markets probably take priority.
I guess it's possible the information just got published today. I had to find him in the studio to get a hold of him. (Happened to be in the area) FWIW I have your same build confirmed oct 26th. Will let the board know if i hear anything.

I am interested in downgrading. Please let me know if they honored your old pricing on the Pure and did they accept to use your touring deposit towards the pure or you had to place a new order. Thanks again!
They are honoring old pricing

DA called last night to say the car was on the way to Chicago for PDI, could be delivered next week 🤯

DA called last night to say the car was on the way to Chicago for PDI, could be delivered next week 🤯
I can't wait to start moving more people into that "delivered" section. Woot.

Well perhaps the communication lines are starting to open up a bit... Just heard from my DA who said I should get my VIN assignment for my IB AT nlt 12/16. While it's possible it could be delivered to TX (Houston SC) by the end of the year, he said more likely would be the first two weeks of January (bummer for the EOY miss!). If they can't make it by the EOY, I will have them bring it from Houston to the Plano studio for my final acceptance. My situation is a bit compounded by them reassigning me back to my initial DA who had been out sick. Hope he can keep the pedal to the metal and knows how to use his cellphone!

Back