Ordering and Delivery: Lucid Air Touring

I have low profile tyres on my S65. Currently a wheel is in for crack repairs. This is the third time in about 60,000 miles - it seems to be an inevitable consequence of a heavy car, low profile tyres and bad roads. For the Touring I will go for the smallest rims and biggest tyres that still give good handling!

Why are so few going with the 21 inch rims?
Personally, I don’t like the 21s. I would have gone with the 20s, but no snow tires are available for the 20s or 21s. And it’s going to be delivered in the middle of winter here.

Thanks for this update. You confirmed my suspicion. I'm in East Coast as well, I couldn't see a logistical possibility of delivering any Touring to East Coast by this year end especially with holidays and winter on top. I had not confirmed my Touring order back in Aug for EV credit so the only other way for me was to get the car delivered this year which I didn't happening for me. So, I'm just sitting on it to see how the roll-out goes.
Yup. I hadn't considered the weather at all and now that I have an understanding of what happens after the car is produced, I now don't expect any East Coast deliveries this year. They gotta ship to Chicago or Michigan. In the middle of winter? Lol yeah, January 2023 at the earliest for us.

I suspect the tire issue. For me it didn't matter, I don't drive my cars in winter or during snow. I have a Scion XB for that and that little box kicks butt in the snow.

Confirmed order online today. Never got an email but it was there waiting for me when I logged into my account.
No problems with the DL upload.
Ordered April 30, 22
Confirmed Nov 1, 22
Black, Mojave, 19”, non-stealth, glass roof, DD Pro, Surreal sound.

Reactions: Joe
Nah. I don’t think that had anything to do with it. I think by the end of today / tomorrow, everyone with an original res date of Feb 2022 or before will be invited. The emails will come.

They are doing 1,000 per week, and last week got them up to June 2021. I figured either this week or next they would get to me, depending on how fast the curve of increase in reservations was between June and Feb. Evidently, it wasn’t that fast.

At this rate, they should get to all Touring res holders in another week or two.

As I’ve said before, there just aren’t that many of us.
This is likely right. Given my 1Q22 rez, and call this week to confirm design, I'm guessing they might have given some preference to the people (me) who when non-refund on the $1000 deposit in Aug, in hope of locking in the 7500 tax credit (which appears to have been an airball)

Personally, I live in a winter climate and don’t want to have to deal with tire changes twice a year. Winter also means pot holes and I have seen too many bent rim images on this forum with the 21s. Finally the increased drive distance with the 19s doesn’t hurt.

Great question! Looking through the discussion threads of the GT owners there wasn't much to go on pertaining to how individuals approached financing. I suspect each future owner will take the necessary steps to acquire funding as is comfortable for them to do so. Because I am not financially positioned to pay cash, over the past month I took steps to compare interest rates between the banks I have a relationship with (e.g., CU, general household management bank, and my savings & investment bank) to determine which one I would acquire a line of credit from. I have a pre-qual letter from each one.
Some of the banks/credit unions will do an extended lock time on a loan if you are ordering one of the direct-manufacture cars from some companies.

Reactions: DTA
All Season tires + added range + not having to deal with different tire sizes in the front and back + gonna save $2K if I can since I'm shelling out money everywhere else on this car.
Down side is handling and brake distance, both of which are theoretically not as good for the 19 inch.
Does it really matter in real life? That‘s the question I’ve been asking.
Borski may have said that he didn’t see much difference on these 2 fronts for his Dream.

Down side is handling and brake distance, both of which are theoretically not as good for the 19 inch.
Does it really matter in real life? That‘s the question I’ve been asking.
Borski may have said that he didn’t see much difference on these 2 fronts for his Dream.
I would say it matters a lot in the winter. :) Have you ever tried to go up a slight incline in 1/4" of snow with summer performance tires?

Sorry if this has been covered or is common knowledge, but what does it mean when I finalize my design?

Is my deposit now non-refundable?
Am I locking a new place in line? (i.e., if I wait a few weeks, am I moving down in line?)

I guess I am just used to the Rivian forums, where you get your "finalize" email, then your guide and then your truck in short order. This seems to be more of a "batch" system, where all the Touring people are getting the option to finalize.

Not sure if I want to finalize and commit to something like DDP, and then have to wait 3 more months.

Thanks.

Sorry if this has been covered or is common knowledge, but what does it mean when I finalize my design?

Is my deposit now non-refundable?
Yes. Once you "finalize" you are committing to having the car put on Lucid's production schedule. Canceling after that would mean Lucid has a car that won't be transferred to anyone. So you forfeit your deposit.

Am I locking a new place in line? (i.e., if I wait a few weeks, am I moving down in line?)
Your original reservation date determines when you will be invited to finalize. Nothing more. You are no longer in "line" at that point until you finalize. So someone who reserved after you but immediately finalizes will now be ahead of you in line.

They can't hold up production for folks who don't commit, after all.

I guess I am just used to the Rivian forums, where you get your "finalize" email, then your guide and then your truck in short order. This seems to be more of a "batch" system, where all the Touring people are getting the option to finalize.

Reservation holders are getting the option to finalize in the order in which they ordered. Not all at once. So there is benefit to having reserved early. But only if you finalize right away.

Not sure if I want to finalize and commit to something like DDP, and then have to wait 3 more months.

The lead times appear to be shrinking. But at this point, all Lucid Airs are still "built to order". They aren't just cranking out cars and then assigning them to people after. So after finalizing, you are probably still talking about 2-4 months before delivery.

Happy to help. Good questions.

Obviously none of us know for sure but since I chose the Stealth option do you think the 1st quarter will happen?
I really don't mind waiting a few months to get the options I want.

Obviously none of us know for sure but since I chose the Stealth option do you think the 1st quarter will happen?
I really don't mind waiting a few months to get the options I want.
Total speculation, of course. But if it's just a matter of when they finish cranking out non-stealth? Probably late Q1 is possible.

What we don't know is whether they plan to just truck through all the Touring cars, and delaying certain options is just a question of batching? Or if there's some other supply chain reason for them not to do some of those options? In other words, is it a situation where they have to "harmonize" colors, as with Cosmos SIlver? Is it a supply chain thing like the 20" wheels? Or is it just that they are cranking out the easiest options first, but they could have technically done any set of options they wanted first? Who knows?

Personally, I'll be surprised if all current Touring reservation holders don't have their cars by mid-year next year. The only thing that would hold that back is some sort of technical issue that prevents them from making a certain option. By then, Pures will be coming off the line regularly, so the metal roof should be a solved problem. Non DDPro shouldn't be an issue. Non Surreal Sound should be solved. Few Pures are going to be equipped with all that.

Stealth is a question mark, given past paint issues. And the fact that it's not offered on Pure. And they probably have some stealth GTs to build by now as well?

It's a tough call. But what I keep thinking is you should buy the car you want. I hate spending this much money and then feeling like I made a bad compromise. Especially if it's only going to be a difference of a few months.

I would say it matters a lot in the winter. :) Have you ever tried to go up a slight incline in 1/4" of snow with summer performance tires?
Even though in warmer climate now, I'd had my share of time in the NE so I know exactly what you're referring to.
I should have qualified my comments for no snow or ice conditions, like where I'm at.
Even in my climate, I'm kind of undecided between the 19 vs 20 or 21, leaning toward the 19 for the versatility and pot hole "protection," but still attracted to the theoretical advantage of the 21 for supposedly better handling and shorter braking distance.

I wonder if Lucid makes more profit on Pure with AWD, DD Pro, SS Pro than base Touring without Glass, DD Pro and SS Pro and ships those first. I think there is more profit in DD Pro for Lucid.

Back