Delivery of Lucid Air when you live in Michigan

RAK

Cars
Ordered Lucid Air Touring
Will someone from Michigan who owns a Lucid Air please respond to my question about taking delivery here in Michigan? I am not real clear what and where this can happen.

Will someone from Michigan who owns a Lucid Air please respond to my question about taking delivery here in Michigan? I am not real clear what and where this can happen.
I am not familiar with Michigan but from the news, we know that cars without a dealership can't be legally sold there thanks to people who voted for the Republicans. However, once people voted in a Democratic Governor, she's able to get a settlement for the loophole to sell Tesla there.

With this current law, I guess Michiganians will have to buy a Lucid from out of state then import it to Michigan to enjoy the car because Lucid was not in that settlement.

Before that, Tesla owners used to have to travel to Chicago or Ohio to bring their cars home in Michigan.

If Lucid hasn't found a better way, that will be how you will get a Lucid.

Voting a Democratic Governor is only the beginning. Now, Michigan needs to change the law. With the current Republican legislators in Michigan, the chance is slim. The voters need to vote them out so a Lucid direct sales model will be codified as law in Michigan.

Good luck!

I am not familiar with Michigan but from the news, we know that cars without a dealership can't be legally sold there thanks to people who voted for the Republicans. However, once people voted in a Democratic Governor, she's able to get a settlement for the loophole to sell Tesla there.

With this current law, I guess Michiganians will have to buy a Lucid from out of state then import it to Michigan to enjoy the car because Lucid was not in that settlement.

Before that, Tesla owners used to have to travel to Chicago or Ohio to bring their cars home in Michigan.

If Lucid hasn't found a better way, that will be how you will get a Lucid.

Voting a Democratic Governor is only the beginning. Now, Michigan needs to change the law. With the current Republican legislators in Michigan, the chance is slim. The voters need to vote them out so a Lucid direct sales model will be codified as law in Michigan.

Good luck!
Blah - one of the worst Gov in the Nation. Unbelievable she got voted in again. Complete joke.

My car was delivered in May to my home in Michigan. Box trailer with a single vehicle. I'm not aware of any laws one way of the other. The car is also registered in Michigan. No questions were ever raised to me about feasibility.

Coldwater MI service center is (I think ) the only physical location in the state.

My car was delivered in May to my home in Michigan. Box trailer with a single vehicle. I'm not aware of any laws one way of the other. The car is also registered in Michigan. No questions were ever raised to me about feasibility.

Coldwater MI service center is (I think ) the only physical location in the state.

Thanks for the update. That means Lucid owners are doing much better than Tesla owners before the Tesla exception loopholes. More significantly, Lucid now has a physical Service Center when Tesla was forbidden to have one. Tesla prevention annual service or broken ones used to have to be done out of state.

Michigan legislators tried to reverse Tesla exception but failed and Lucid issued the statement:

"We expect this issue to continue to be deliberated when the legislature starts its session next year. Even so, we remain confident that state leaders will make the right decisions for their constituents and to encourage economic growth. For those reasons, we did now slow our efforts to establish a strong presence in the state of Michigan. This includes a service center in Coldwater that is near opening with additional retail and service locations planned in the future.”"

Again, I am not familiar with Michigan but I can read the news.

It's possible that owners in dealership-only states like Michigan and Texas don't have to travel out-of-state to buy their cars but must pay in advance to prove that they comply with the law as the payments are received out-of-state (the buying transaction doesn't physically happen in-state).

That alone is a big improvement from the day of Governor Rick Snyder's law: "not only does it further ensure that company cannot sell directly to consumers in the state, it goes so far as to prohibit Tesla from displaying its cars to and communicating with potential customers in Michigan."

In general, paying in advance is fine, except some would like to have an option available in other EV-direct-sales states that allow customers to pay in person, in-state, at the delivery because they want to make sure the car is fine before paying for it just like the way it should be at a traditional dealer.

So, congratulations to Lucid owners in Michigan, you don't have to travel out of state anymore!

I had my Lucid AGT delivered last week of September 2022. Came in box trailer from Coldwater MI. Delivery associate Michelle kept me updated. Very smooth and satisfying process. Gave me all the lowdown on car very well. Responded promptly for questions regarding registration and Lucid delivered my plates and registration in 8-10 weeks. Till then temp AZ registration.
Love the car! Enjoying every bit of it.
Lucid service associate Jason has been awesome in addressing questions.
Overall 10/10 experience!

Reactions: RAK
I had my Lucid AGT delivered last week of September 2022. Came in box trailer from Coldwater MI. Delivery associate Michelle kept me updated. Very smooth and satisfying process. Gave me all the lowdown on car very well. Responded promptly for questions regarding registration and Lucid delivered my plates and registration in 8-10 weeks. Till then temp AZ registration.
Love the car! Enjoying every bit of it.
Lucid service associate Jason has been awesome in addressing questions.
Overall 10/10 experience!
Thank You for responding. I got my Vin number a few days ago. About delivery, it sounded like I may be taking delivery in Coldwater, I don't know for sure. Now that I have found you here in Michigan I wonder if I could ask you about your insurance? I am 77 years old drive very few miles and live twenty minutes north of Ann Arbor . I have stayed with the same insurance for over forty years with very few claims and an excellent driving record. When I ask about insurance for my upcoming Lucid Air Touring they didn't even know what it was until I told them it was a Luxury EV. She needed to check with the company. They then mentioned they may not even insure the car. She said they won't insure Teslas. I have had homeowners or content insurance and two cars insured for forty with them. If you would tell me what insurance company you used and roughly how much for six months for your Lucid Air GT maybe I can check it out. RAK

@RAK I had a similar issue. I have all of my insurance with Grange here in Ohio but had to insure the Lucid through Progressive as Grange doesn't cover Lucid yet. I paid $600 for 6 months, which is quite a bit higher than my Tesla but I didn't want to move my house and other cars to the Progressive to get a lower rate as Grange told my agent they'd likely cover Lucid by spring.

Thank You for responding. I got my Vin number a few days ago. About delivery, it sounded like I may be taking delivery in Coldwater, I don't know for sure. Now that I have found you here in Michigan I wonder if I could ask you about your insurance? I am 77 years old drive very few miles and live twenty minutes north of Ann Arbor . I have stayed with the same insurance for over forty years with very few claims and an excellent driving record. When I ask about insurance for my upcoming Lucid Air Touring they didn't even know what it was until I told them it was a Luxury EV. She needed to check with the company. They then mentioned they may not even insure the car. She said they won't insure Teslas. I have had homeowners or content insurance and two cars insured for forty with them. If you would tell me what insurance company you used and roughly how much for six months for your Lucid Air GT maybe I can check it out. RAK
Farm Bureau Insurance of MI , $1200/yr. I have multiple policies including Homeowners with them.

Reactions: RAK
This is an older thread, but I thought it'd be helpful for anyone else in Michigan contemplating a Lucid to comment on my experience. Here's how smooth it was for me:
1) Schedule test drive at Saks 5th avenue - very knowlegable staff, choice of two cars to drive. Great idea, because the wife has a chance to see it, touch it, etc before it arrives
2) Order and pay online
3) Caravana comes to pick up the outgoing Tesla from my house
4) Lucid delivers the Pure AWD to my house in an enclosed trailer (on a Sunday!) and my delivery team do a walk through with me over the phone

Apparently with the new tech center in Southfield MI there may be some additional mobile service capacity coming to the area. Overall my ownership experience is off to a great start, kudos to the Chicago based team that helped through the process!

Back