Delivery Complete - Cautiously Optimistic

Tailspin74

Verified Owner
While on vacation last week I texted my DA as to the possibility of of changing my specs slightly to assure delivery this year. Within 30 minutes, he had identified one, however I would have to go from QC to Blk, SC from mojave, and 20' from 21". However, the car had arrived at Goose Island an hour ago so delivery was assured. The kicker is it included DDP which was an upgrade from my order and included at no charge for 90 days. I took it immediately. I will give my DA credit. Throughout the process he has been responsive and knowledgeable. The next day I received a PA and wired the money from my phone while swimming in a pool in the Caribbean. Very convenient and smooth.

I showed up to the Goose Island facility Monday to take delivery. There must have been 100+ cars inside and out. All colors and models. I was the only person taking delivery and instead of my DA, I was met by a design engineer from CA who was going to do the delivery. This may have been a blessing in disguise, because things were not as they should be. The deficiencies included:
  1. When opening the frunk, the hood was out of alignment and snapped a small piece of plastic off the LUCID cover plate that meets the hood.
  2. Rubber molding hanging from the rear wheel well.
  3. Front middle display does not retract on command. It's stuck.
  4. Rear display does not come alive when touched.
The engineer was visibly upset/embarrassed but assured me everything would be fixed and he gave me his contact info to follow up not only on the issues at hand, but asked for feedback down the road. The rest of the delivery went fine and I was on my way. The thirty five mile drive home was AWESOME. I'm coming from a 2016 Model S which has 81,000 miles on it and never seen a day in the shop. This car is light years ahead in terms of interior quality and the drive characteristics. Did I mention, it's awesome? The SC interior looks great. It wasn't my first choice given the Chicago winters. I think I have found a solution to keeping the interior looking new.

The next day my wife and I went to Old Orchard for lunch, but really to try out the EA charging capability. Surprisingly, it worked as stated and I charged in 17 degree weather at 110kW. When we came back to the car, my wife open her door and another piece fell off. This time it was a piece of molding. She asked, "how much did you pay for this car?". In the cold I managed to get it back into place to drive home.

Trying to schedule a service has been a bit of an issue. My DA says all service is handled through the 888 number. I called the 888 number and they said the delivery order is still open due to the above items and that the DA has to schedule. Annoying. I'll have to figure it out today. I have already emailed the gent that delivered the car to me.

The car is amazing and presuming I'm through the worst of it with the above minor items, it's going to be a great experience. I'm being patient to give Lucid the benefit of the doubt being a new car company. It's insanely complex and even the established players have QC issues (though I haven't seen that many at one time before). We'll see how the next 1,000/10,000/50,000 miles goes. If it hadn't been for the five QC issues, my feelings would be 1000% positive as the car is that good. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Were you sitting in the backseat? The back display is only active when someone is sitting in the back.
Yes. We both were. It works after tapping it 5-10 times.

I also forgot to mention how surprised I was at the cost of insurance. $904/yr through Hanover. This is less than my Tesla and Navigator.

Yes. We both were. It works after tapping it 5-10 times.

I also forgot to mention how surprised I was at the cost of insurance. $904/yr through Hanover. This is less than my Tesla and Navigator.
Gotcha - figured it was worth making sure! :)

I can understand why the design engineer was embarrassed. My wife would have had the same reaction. Things like that should never have happened in a car like this. QC should have picked up at least some of them.

Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

Back