Cybertruck structure vs accident safety

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
I brought this exact issue up on Reddit months ago and was downvoted into oblivion. I bet these vehicles will become uninsurable

I've been curious about crash test performance for vehicle occupants. And how do you repair that thing. Is there a single certified body shop now ready for stainless steel repair. Silly vehicle, but marketing genius.

I've been curious about crash test performance for vehicle occupants. And how do you repair that thing. Is there a single certified body shop now ready for stainless steel repair. Silly vehicle, but marketing genius.
Time will tell, but it sounds like crashing the Cybertruck will be relatively good for vehicle occupants (unless crashing in to an immovable object like an overpass abutment), but bad for drivers in other vehicles and particularly bad for pedestrians.

No reason to draw that conclusion from what I can tell. Based on the geometry of the front wheels/chassis relative to the passenger compartment and the inherent forces and loads on the frame I suspect the CT will never pass any crash test and will not see wide spread commercial sales thereafter. Furthermore, insurance cost will be astronomical because the body will be essentially irreparable.

I am in awe of Elon Musk. I wish I could create such market froth over something so inherently flawed.

Tesla is well known for making vehicles unable to pass homologation test and be sold legally anywhere. VinFast laps Tesla in safety engineering.

Ford made an aluminum body truck at a time when only a handful of shops in large metro areas across America where repairing aluminum bodied Audi A8s and Jaguar XJs.

Now, Nowheresville, USA has at least two body shops to repair your aluminum bodied F-150 truck.

"Tesla is well known for making vehicles unable to pass homologation test" - where are you getting this from? Every manufacturer adjusts their cars for the markets they sell in. Please review the NHTSA and Euro NCAP ratings. Tesla has a reputation of making some of the safest vehicles in the world. I own both a Tesla and a Lucid. I am far more confident that a Tesla will be one of the safest cars on the road than Lucid, which has never been crash tested even though it has been out for over 2 years. Based on track records, CT is likely to a very safe vehicle.

"Tesla is well known for making vehicles unable to pass homologation test" - where are you getting this from? Every manufacturer adjusts their cars for the markets they sell in. Please review the NHTSA and Euro NCAP ratings. Tesla has a reputation of making some of the safest vehicles in the world. I own both a Tesla and a Lucid. I am far more confident that a Tesla will be one of the safest cars on the road than Lucid, which has never been crash tested even though it has been out for over 2 years. Based on track records, CT is likely to a very safe vehicle.
Well you are just plain wrong as the lucid HAS been crash tested. The fact you are confident the Tesla will be safer is weird to me, and the ct being a safe vehicle for others is a funny joke.

I believe that the Lucid Air has been tested and did very well:

Back