Contactors in the high voltage battery pack

Tony

Cars
Volvo 240
Hello Im new to this forum and have a question about the high voltage battery pack.Are there contactors inside the battery pack or are they in the wonder box.

They use tabs for each connection in each pack. It's a concern using one tab for each cell, SPOF. See the techtalk.

Hello Im new to this forum and have a question about the high voltage battery pack.Are there contactors inside the battery pack or are they in the wonder box.
battery pack.

Yes I have seen that tech talk,very informative. My question would be if I go thu the high voltage disabling procedure would there still be voltage at the receptical on the battery itself

I would be shocked (no pun intended) if the High power relays are not inside the battery pack. I know the Ford Mach-e battery pack is designed with the relay module sitting inside the battery enclosure. Without the 12 V to energize the relays the HV battery Battery terminals remain at zero Volts.

I agree, but watching the tech talk I could not see anything that would disable that connection

Agree.. not in the video. But would be risky to have 900 volts remain active anywhere once first responders cut the 12V feed to the relays.

my point exactly but wait it gets better!

That's why there is the fireman's disconnect!

You would never be at risk. Under the hood, there is the disconnect that is required.

Screenshot_20221007-061310_Lucid.jpg

I still think there is 900 volt at the high voltage battery plug under the vehicle even after that loop is cut.

I still think there is 900 volt at the high voltage battery plug under the vehicle even after that loop is cut.
Possibly, but I'm not even sure what you are asking anymore.

Does the high voltage battery connector under the vehicle go dead when you cut that loop

The underside of the car is sealed from what I remember, why is this even a concern? I don't think anyone here will know. You can email customer care.

Based on that user manual page it sounds like they are using a 12v relay to disable the battery terminals. It is likely cut off at the battery directly, not in the wonderbox. This is an educated guess, but it’s what I would have done for safety reasons.

Also this explains why the 12v battery failing renders the car undrivable. You lose the 12v controlling that relay and the HV battery disabled automatically.

Is this forum affiliated with Lucid Motors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back