Commonly Charging Rate at EA

sicsyman

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Wondering what is the charging rate members getting from EA. Most of the time I am getting 60 to 80kW while pulling in with 50% battery level. This is from past couple of months and with many different 150kW chargers. I did try couple of times with EVgo, it did get much better rate up to 250kW.

For me it has depended entirely on which dispenser I've plugged into. Four of eight may offer 50kW, the others 125-150kW.

Just charged today on brand new BTC units that opened 4 days ago in SR. I was excited as they are all 350s. I preconditioned for 20 min and rolled in with 7% SoC. Plugged in, and the highest I saw was 180kW. Sadly, these are power share units since they are new and every stall was being used. That is now the new bane of my existence, power share units, essentially every 350 is less likely to achieve that unless I’m the only car on the paired stall. On the upside, I plugged in and it recognized my PnC and started right away.
Oh, and I was charging at 100kW @ 61% SoC, so it stayed up for quite a while.

I guess on the power-shared "balanced" units you can't be too upset at seeing a Bolt plugged into a 350kW charger, or an ID.4 pulling 10kW on their way to 100%.

Last edited:
I guess one the power-shared "balanced" units you can't be too upset at seeing a Bolt plugged into a 350kW charger, or an ID.4 pulling 10kW on their way to 100%.
Sadly, this crossed my mind too 😂

I usually see just under 50% of the rated power output. So for 150kW chargers, I would get around 75kW, and for 350KW, probably like 175kW. EA claims there's no issues with the charger, and the chargers are just giving the car what it "asks" for, suggesting that the lucid is only requesting 75kW or 175kW, but when asked why a car would ask for different amounts from different chargers, EA was at a loss to explain it, which feels to me like their usual tactic of pushing off responsibility onto other parties is what's at play here.

First time using EA just to experiment. 30% SOC going to 75%. I was the only person at a Walmart with 9 EA stations. At a 350KW unit I pulled 125 KW for 6 minutes then it became unstable and slowed to 45-60 KW. After 16 minutes I unplugged and went to a 150KW station. It pulled at a consistent 95 KW. Overall I charged 42 KWH in 32 minutes which is 80 KW average. Not very good but the connection and authentication worked smoothly.

I get really good performance on the 150s. I did notice a strange thing happening in the middle of the charge where it was being limited by the charger and the power level was fluctuating between 40 and 50 KW. Just before I unplugged to move to a different charge it went to 90 and held. Here is a screen shot from early in the charge:
IMG_7906.jpeg

Almost everyone is seeing fluctuations, even non Lucid vehicles. Best advise is ride out the fluctuations and you will given stable speed afterwards.

It seems that 800-900 volt EVs in particular are experiencing wide fluctuations in charging power with older Signet EA charging stations. This would include Lucid, Taycan, E-GMP cars, etc.

Charged yesterday at my local EA 350kW station. Started at 13% SOC, preconditioned for 22 minutes. Saw my highest charge rate of 270kW to start! Took 37 minutes to add 80kWh (Up to 80% SOC).

I've seen this as well at EA chargers from Philly to NH. Unstable for the first few minutes but settles to a reasonable rate and holds to the charge curve posted here by others. Pulled 177 Kw from a 150 charger and 322 from a 350 charger with warm battery at low SOC, but generally in the low 100s. Every one that has bounced in the 50s has settled down after a few minutes and delivered a reasonable charge rate. Connection and initiation has not been a problem. Out of service chargers are to be expected. Think of all the moving parts inside that case (there are none) that can wear-out and break. It's like a toaster. Think how often toasters just warm the toast over a period of hours, or don't work at all. Electricity is hard. I was at my local station when the service guys were there to change the potatoes. They can't always get the Idaho / Oregon spuds and have to use Maine Russetts, which are high in iron but wormy.
iu

Biggest problem with chargers located off the interstates is all the newbees who don't know what they are doing, and that we haven't established charger etiquette. People are used to "filling-the-tank" at a gas station. We need to learn that "filling-the-tank" on an EV is rude; that charging to 80% or less when people are waiting is good manners, and that the 350 chargers are for Lucids.

Back