Cold Weather Battery Management

Westchester Air

Active Member

Verified Owner
Joined
Mar 7, 2025
Messages
205
Reaction score
263
Location
Westchester, NY
Cars
25 AT, 23 Subaru Ascent
Referral Code
8W0TRV52
Interestingly, for the first time, I'm seeing my '25 AT sipping power all day long while plugged in. See attached pic, pulled from one of the apps monitoring this draw. This is almost certainly due to the insanely cold temperatures in the Northeast the last week or two. Over the last few days, the temps have ranged from 0F to 20F.

When asking ChatGPT about this, the response was as follows:
1770650479286.webp


All in line with expectations, and my understanding of what the Lucid does to keep the car driveable in these insane single-digit temps. Although intuitively I knew Lucid's instructions to "keep the car plugged in when not in use" was partly for battery management, this is the first time I've seen what it's doing...



Screenshot 2026-02-09 at 10.16.36 AM.webp
 
When I was shopping for LFP batteries for my camper one of the things built in was a BMS that used some of the battery's power to keep the liquid electrolyte warm in cold weather. The battery could be charged at any time by the converter and only effectively above a certain temperature. The 12V system in the Lucid is probably like this.
 
Mine was unplugged in VT over the weekend. With temperatures never coming above zero and bottoming at -15f. While parked I lost almost nothing.
Of course two short trips on Saturday evening used alot of energy.
 
Mine was unplugged in VT over the weekend. With temperatures never coming above zero and bottoming at -15f. While parked I lost almost nothing.
Of course two short trips on Saturday evening used alot of energy.
Makes sense. I would assume of course it's more ideal to keep the batteries at some minimum temperature. Better for the battery health and probably better Mi/KwH when driving. But not entirely necessary.
 
Back
Top