Clunking creaking sound while driving

REHPortland

Cars
AGT, MB S560
I have a new problem...the car makes loud clunking/creaking sounds constantly while driving over any uneven pavement. Like something is loose. I see nothing hanging/detached from underneath the car, and nothing is loose with the front bumper or side molding. But it is NOT right! Un-acceptable. My first car was a '55 Chevy pickup and it made the same sounds...OMG!

This is my second bummer experience. The first was a warning light and a dead in the middle of the road issue with the brakes that required a trailer tow to the remote repair location. The repair took several days. The problem was a "over lubed" wheel shaft that caused a speed sensor to fail. Assembly issue, they determined. I asked if they checked the other three shafts and they said no...thinking, I guess, that they all were not over lubed at the assembly process...goodness, I hope they are right.

I really like the car. Our first EV. The thing is very cool. But I'm not happy at the moment. This is by far the most troublesome "new" vehicle I have owned. Not the most expensive, but the most troublesome. I was willing to deal with some issues...but I hope this thing isn't a lemon.

Sorry to report.

I've got 4,000 miles on mine and it sounds like the same issue. Chatting with support now and they said "it sounds like the half shaft may need to be lubricated". They're stating they'll pick it up on the 12th of Feb. 1 day of transport. 2 days to repair. I agree with you on it sounding like an old car or something with blown suspension.

I have a new problem...the car makes loud clunking/creaking sounds constantly while driving over any uneven pavement. Like something is loose. I see nothing hanging/detached from underneath the car, and nothing is loose with the front bumper or side molding. But it is NOT right! Un-acceptable. My first car was a '55 Chevy pickup and it made the same sounds...OMG!

This is my second bummer experience. The first was a warning light and a dead in the middle of the road issue with the brakes that required a trailer tow to the remote repair location. The repair took several days. The problem was a "over lubed" wheel shaft that caused a speed sensor to fail. Assembly issue, they determined. I asked if they checked the other three shafts and they said no...thinking, I guess, that they all were not over lubed at the assembly process...goodness, I hope they are right.

I really like the car. Our first EV. The thing is very cool. But I'm not happy at the moment. This is by far the most troublesome "new" vehicle I have owned. Not the most expensive, but the most troublesome. I was willing to deal with some issues...but I hope this thing isn't a lemon.

Sorry to report.
REHP., I had the exact same problem. It was coming from the front end but pinpointing was real tough. Service tech from Rocklin, CA came out and determined a stabilizing arm nut had come loose. It is a nylon lock nut that they torque down to a particular ft lb spec. He tightened it and the problem went away. To be sure, they ordered new nuts and replaced them in the shop a couple weeks later. no issues since...

REHP., I had the exact same problem. It was coming from the front end but pinpointing was real tough. Service tech from Rocklin, CA came out and determined a stabilizing arm nut had come loose. It is a nylon lock nut that they torque down to a particular ft lb spec. He tightened it and the problem went away. To be sure, they ordered new nuts and replaced them in the shop a couple weeks later. no issues since...
Thanks for your reply. Same diagnosis and fix…they checked the other fasteners and said they were good. I haven’t driven the car much since the fix, so I hope this is a permanent fix. I have another creaking/clinking in the back seat area. They said they found it, but they hadn’t. It’s livable for now, but eventually the car needs to be quiet and as Lucid wants it to be. My Merc S560 is far more refined and sorted out. Glad I kept it…oh well.

Hi @Reh, was the loud clunk a single noise going over something or more continuous like a rattle?

I'm noticing when I turn tightly into something with a small ramp like into a parking lot over a curb ramp or something there is a very loud clunk coming from the front as I go over. Wondering if it's the same...

Also had a similar situation - a rattle from the left front suspension, which was most noticeable on rough pavement when making gentle right turns (partially loading left side suspension). Remote service tech (Andy) came out and found a nut on the left tie-rod end loose. Tightened it up and test drove and the rattle was gone. Andy got approval for LUCID to pay for an alignment - so taking it to the local BMW dealer to do so. They confirmed that they have LUCID programmed in their (Hunter?) alignment machine. Has anyone had an alignment done and/or know whether the settings vary by model (Pure vs. Touring vs. Grand Touring) or by wheel size (19,20,21) ? ?

Back