ChargePoint Home Flex

SubSailor

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Tesla M3, AirGT
My Cosmos Silver, 20 inch wheels and Tahoe interior GT is being confirmed this week. I am still confused over charging...if I buy the ChargePoint Home Flex to replace my Tesla wall charger (60 amp ckt) and hardwire it, I should be able to charge at 48amp. My question...what plug do you need to fit the Lucid? I assume the Lucid is CSS but the ChargePoint home unit seem to only come with a J1772 plug. I prefer not to use an adapter.

Lucid uses a J1772 for the chargepoint

The CCS connector is used for level 3 fast charging at EA station.

The Chargepoint homeflex that see come with a plug. Don’t see a hardwire option. Are you getting it custom hardwired?

Last edited:
My Cosmos Silver, 20 inch wheels and Tahoe interior GT is being confirmed this week. I am still confused over charging...if I buy the ChargePoint Home Flex to replace my Tesla wall charger (60 amp ckt) and hardwire it, I should be able to charge at 48amp. My question...what plug do you need to fit the Lucid? I assume the Lucid is CSS but the ChargePoint home unit seem to only come with a J1772 plug. I prefer not to use an adapter.
the J1772 plug is the standard for everyone BUT Tesla. It is smaller than the CCS plug and just doesn't use all the holes. The CCS is only for Level 3 charging. The J1772 is for Level 2.

The Chargepoint homeflex that see come with a plug. Don’t see a hardwire option. Are you getting it custom hardwired?
To hardwire, the electrician will just cut off the plug.

Actually do it the homeflex you have to wire up the plug to use it. By default, the unit come ready to Hardwire and there are instructions inside for both methods

Seems like people are more interesting correcting a comment I made than answering the original question.

I was trying to keep it simple bc the OP asked a simple questions. Now everyone is correcting me about Chargepoint details. Lol

I said custom bc I didn’t know the OP knew what to do.

Here's a handy link:

Essentially, at least to my limited understanding, the round element at the top of the CCS 'Combo' plug is a J1772 connector. So you're fine with the ChargePoint. Although, and I know you said you didn't want to use an adapter, you could just keep your existing wall connecter and get a TeslaTap Mini? That's what I intend doing if they ever build my Air Pure.

To all
Thanks for all the info on the charger. I plan to have the same electrician that did my solar, tesla wall charger and tesla powerwalls remove the tesla charger and install the chargepoint charger. It will be hardwired directly to the existing dedicated 60 amp circuit. Now I just have to wait for silver color and 20 inch wheels before car will be in the queue. Already lining up buyers for Tesla M3LR

Did anyone figure out where to get a cover for the 2 direct current plugs on the bottom of the Combined Charging System (CCS) Combo Type 1 (J1772) on the Lucid? Thanks.
It doesn't come with a captive cover? I've never seen a CCS car without it. Could be because I've only seen my Volvo and a friend's i3 ;) .

Last edited:
It doesn't come with a captive cover? I've never seen a CCS car without it. Could be because I've only seen my Volvo and a friend's i3 ;) .
Mine didn’t and I think I remember a thread where someone (maybe @Paladin732) had a suggestion. I searched the forum but couldn’t find it.

Very easy to hardwire the home flex. As @hydbob says, it comes ready to be hardwired. You have to attach the plug if you want to plug it in to a 14-50 outlet.
Thanks to all on charging help. Decided to try the J1772 adapter and use my Tesla Level 2 Wall charger....it is hardwired and gives me 48 amps. Thanks to hydrobob....and all for your suggestions. SA and I confirming GT on Wed. I am changing to Quantum Gray but still on the fence with 20 vs 18 wheels due to the delivery delay.

You are good. ALL cars EXCEPT Tesla use the J1772 plug for level 2 charging.

Thanks to all on charging help. Decided to try the J1772 adapter and use my Tesla Level 2 Wall charger....it is hardwired and gives me 48 amps. Thanks to hydrobob....and all for your suggestions. SA and I confirming GT on Wed. I am changing to Quantum Gray but still on the fence with 20 vs 18 wheels due to the delivery delay.
I was all set to replace my tesla charger too. I decided to try the teslatap and it worked out great. (I got the 80amp adapter) No electrician, no new charger, works faster on the Lucid than the tesla. Since I kept my tesla I can easily charge both vehicles (not at the same time 🙂).

Not sure why Lucid sales tried to steer me away from using the tesla home charger.

I was all set to replace my tesla charger too. I decided to try the teslatap and it worked out great. (I got the 80amp adapter) No electrician, no new charger, works faster on the Lucid than the tesla. Since I kept my tesla I can easily charge both vehicles (not at the same time 🙂).

Not sure why Lucid sales tried to steer me away from using the tesla home charger.
I did hear today that Tesla is out of Tesla Nema 14-50 plugs and new cars are being delivered without them.

They're just trying to minimize the possibility of problems and any resulting confusion and fingerpointing. It's reasonable.

Which adapter did you buy? I have a Tesla Wall Connector installed (and drawing 48Amps); would love to use it for the Lucid Air (when it comes in). Thanks

Which adapter did you buy? I have a Tesla Wall Connector installed (and drawing 48Amps); would love to use it for the Lucid Air (when it comes in). Thanks
Lectron [Only for J1772 EVs] Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter, Max 48A & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors (Black) https://a.co/d/hir96vk

Back