Ceramic Coating DIY beginner's experience

noobzilla

It's nerve wracking to do it first time on a $100k car. I started on roof first and then on trunk. I noticed very slight color change, perhaps more so reflective properties. Lost a tiny bit of the glittery brilliance of my fathom blue, so I stopped doing the rest of the car. I did a test on the small rear side window and was satisfactory so I did the whole back glass. Did more testing on the coated glass, then coated my front windshield since I really struggled in the rain on my first day with the Pure (disappointingly so because my mazda3's windshield does better in the rain!)

The next day I took the car out to confirm the slight color change. Looks slightly darker. It rained later the afternoon. Very happy with the results on the glass. Very noticeable improvement on visibility I could even drive without having the wiper on all the time. Downside is the wiper doesnt glide as smoothly anymore as if the windshield has a sticky property to it now. I'll try other sprays brands specifically meant for glass when this one wears out.

Got back home. Used my electric leaf blower to dry out my car. Wow! The water on the roof and trunk just slid away! No need for me to wipe! The non coated parts of the car took longer to blow. I'm sold. Applied ceramic spray on all other exterior painted parts of the car and plastic trims where it's hard to avoid. I had fun doing it so I did the tire rims too lol. Oh I did the plastic area inside the trunk where water drips into when opening the trunk. My mazda3 got notoriously dirty in those spots. Coating should help prevent dirt and watermarks from sticking. May consider it on the frunk area too.

Special thanks to @bunnylebowski for his posts and giving me more info regarding diy ceramic coating spray.

Microfiber Applicator
Microfiber Towels
Adam's Advanced Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating (I used Adam's advanced ceramic coating spray. If it wasnt for long shipping on the regular I would've went with that.)

Hello!! that's great that you are giving it a shot.

Something I will say is that what you are getting is window chatter. That is from the final application not going the proper direction and/or using a ceramic coating that's not for the windows.

When we do ceramic coatings on our customer's cars there is ceramic coating for every part of the application. i.e 1 for body another for windows, wheels, plastic etc.

Hello!! that's great that you are giving it a shot.

Something I will say is that what you are getting is window chatter. That is from the final application not going the proper direction and/or using a ceramic coating that's not for the windows.

When we do ceramic coatings on our customer's cars there is ceramic coating for every part of the application. i.e 1 for body another for windows, wheels, plastic etc.
Thank you for the information! Best for others not to repeat my mistakes. Would this window chatter cause damage to the wiper and/or motor? Any DIY remedies?

Thank you for the information! Best for others not to repeat my mistakes. Would this window chatter cause damage to the wiper and/or motor? Any DIY remedies?
Basically when it comes to window coatings a few things must be done.
1) When we apply a ceramic coating on the windows, we actually use a polish specifically designed for windows. Use that with a polisher and it helps remove any additional contaminants in addition to clay bar etc.

2) Preparation spray such as GTECHNIQ PANEL WIPE **DILUTED** or Carpro eraser

3) VERY VERY IMPORTANT
you can apply the ceramic coating on the windows any way you want. AS LONG AS THE FINAL DIRECTION OF THE COATING YOU APPLY IS A HORIZONTAL PATTERN LIKE IN THE PICTURE.
if you apply any other direction or mixed directions then the wipers will chatter for sure.

4) Any excess on your application pads i would put it on the blades of the wipers as well
Untitled (Postcard) (2).jpg

Now to fix the problem

Depending on what ceramic coating it is for the windows you may or many not have to polish it with a polishing compound but i doubt that to be the case.
Using a one of the above products such as Carpro eraser should give you a clean slate.

The window chatter wont hurt anything its just annoying to hear it

Back