Can't Charge Off-Peak

RobM

Cars
Lucid Air & Audi e-Tron
Our Lucid Air GT completed the most current OTA update a couple of days ago. Since then, we continue to get Charging Errors because we have our home chargers set to charge during the most competitive Off-Peak electric hours (12am - 6am PST). As such, I have now called Lucid twice and both Customer Service Technicians have confirmed with their Charging Team, that this capability has been removed from the Lucid software. Our only option now is to charge immediately upon demand. I've escalated the issue as far as I can and thought I'd report the issue on any/all Lucid Forums, as well. I feel Lucid has truly missed the mark on this and should not take away our ability to set charging hours via our home chargers. Please chime in if you agree and hopefully we can get a quick fix/resolution to this issue. Thanks!

Our Lucid Air GT completed the most current OTA update a couple of days ago. Since then, we continue to get Charging Errors because we have our home chargers set to charge during the most competitive Off-Peak electric hours (12am - 6am PST). As such, I have now called Lucid twice and both Customer Service Technicians have confirmed with their Charging Team, that this capability has been removed from the Lucid software. Our only option now is to charge immediately upon demand. I've escalated the issue as far as I can and thought I'd report the issue on any/all Lucid Forums, as well. I feel Lucid has truly missed the mark on this and should not take away our ability to set charging hours via our home chargers. Please chime in if you agree and hopefully we can get a quick fix/resolution to this issue. Thanks!
Yes, I have spoken with them as well about this a couple weeks ago. My understanding is that they will be addressing it in future. It was possible prior to the 2.X update.

I have notified CC as well. They are aware of the issue. The car has stopped throwing charger errors, but won’t start charging after midnight unless I go and wake up the car. Not acceptable and needs to be fixed.

Does it matter which home charger you are using? So, a scheduled ChargePoint session for midnight will not initiate? My car is in the garage in CA for a couple of days and this concerns me.

Does it matter which home charger you are using? So, a scheduled ChargePoint session for midnight will not initiate? My car is in the garage in CA for a couple of days and this concerns me.
Don’t know about other chargers, but likely won’t matter. The scheduled charging will not initiate on the ChargePoint. The car throws connection errors when you plug it in Because it does not detect a current, then goes to sleep. Then I have to wake the car at midnight to initiate the charge. Worked fine before 2.0 software. Not acceptable and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Don’t know about other chargers, but likely won’t matter. The scheduled charging will not initiate on the ChargePoint. The car throws connection errors when you plug it in Because it does not detect a current, then goes to sleep. Then I have to wake the car at midnight to initiate the charge. Worked fine before 2.0 software. Not acceptable and needs to be fixed ASAP.
The Wallbox works fine fwiw, but yes, I agree it’s a bug.

Has anybody heard anything from Lucid regarding the plan to reinstate the ability to schedule a charge? So far, I’m only getting the acknowledgment of the issue and no guidance on if they are prioritizing a fix.

Has anybody heard anything from Lucid regarding the plan to reinstate the ability to schedule a charge? So far, I’m only getting the acknowledgment of the issue and no guidance on if they are prioritizing a fix.
I think maybe a whole rewrite of their software for 2.x probably caused it to stop, but I am getting a juicebox or chargepoint charger which will have the scheduled charging on it, so that'll at least help in the meantime

Just to be clear, Lucid never had the ability to schedule a charge, this was entirely a function of the EVSE and not the car. Lucid has not stated a time frame for the fix on why Chargepoint, specifically, is throwing an error and not allowing the scheduled charging to start. Chargepoint isn't acknowledging it as an issue either, at least in my case.

Just to be clear, Lucid never had the ability to schedule a charge, this was entirely a function of the EVSE and not the car. Lucid has not stated a time frame for the fix on why Chargepoint, specifically, is throwing an error and not allowing the scheduled charging to start. Chargepoint isn't acknowledging it as an issue either, at least in my case.
ah, didn't know that. I thought 1.x had it and it stopped working after 2.x, maybe I misunderstood someone else's comment when that was mentioned

I have the same problem. This is a serious oversight on Lucid's part! The Lucid needs a CHARGING SCHEDULER. Even my lowly Honda Calrity (PHEV) has an internal scheduler to take advantage of TOU charging. Ideally, it should also have programable current limit when using the Lucid provided charging cable. Not all houses have a 50A receptacle.

I have the same problem. This is a serious oversight on Lucid's part! The Lucid needs a CHARGING SCHEDULER. Even my lowly Honda Calrity (PHEV) has an internal scheduler to take advantage of TOU charging. Ideally, it should also have programable current limit when using the Lucid provided charging cable. Not all houses have a 50A receptacle.
You’re not the first one to ask. I’m sure it’s coming soon.

I think maybe a whole rewrite of their software for 2.x probably caused it to stop, but I am getting a juicebox or chargepoint charger which will have the scheduled charging on it, so that'll at least help in the meantime
It won’t work. You can schedule the ChargePoint to charge during off-peak, but the car won’t charge unless you wake it up. Was not the case before the 2.0 update.

Totally agree with your experience. I got my Lucid Air GT on Nov 12 and I am otally flabbergasted by this issue. In reality, there are two issues here.

Issue #1:

Issue #1, I got my Lucid Air GT on Nov 12, with the 2.0 software already installed. According to other Lucid owners who owned their Lucids PRIOR to the 2.0 update, thie feature for off-ppeak charging used to work but, as you found out, was removed by Lucid in the 2.0 OTA update. So, when I tried to schedule my Lucid Air to delaycharging until TOU, it doesn't work. The Lucid will go to sleep in the meanwhile and when my L2 charger kicks in at 9PM (TOU time), the Lucid won't be awake. Another user suggest you can try "automation" via your phone. I tried that but have not been successful. The automation seems to work (i.e., triggers a lunch of the Lucid App at 9PM to wake up the car) but then the Lucid will post a "Charging Error" and requires a PHYSICAL disconnect and reconnect the charge plu to continue. This is utterly ridiculous. We need to keep bugging Lucid to fix these problems.Seems like no one thought about "delayed charging" when they changed the 2.0 software. I find this alarming....don't these Lucid folks charge during TOU or do they all get free charging at work or via EA and don't care about the tariff?! Lucid seem s oblivious to the delay charging/TOU issue. It is also an environmental issue as TOU reduces the need to build more power generation plants and make better use of the installed capacity.

Issue #2: I was blown away when I found out the Lucid has no built-in charging SCHEDULER. My Honda Clarity (PHEV) has such a scheduler built into the car to take advantage of TOU charging. I believe many other EVs/PHEVs also have a scheduler built-in. Why the Lucid doesn't have it is totally beyond me! Lucid needs to take this matter seriously and develop a scheduler.

I spent my whole career developing leading-edge high-tech technologies and products. I understand that sometimes the developer makes changes to the product (HW/SW) and craete unintended consequences. We have very extensive VALIDATION procedures before we release a new product or a software update. These VALIDATIONS scripts involve running suites of customer usage sceanrios and corner-cases in order to ensure we don't miss anything or have unintended effects we didn't anticipate. Does Lucid do VALIDATIONS before they release new HW/SW? If not, they should!

...These VALIDATIONS scripts involve running suites of customer usage sceanrios and corner-cases in order to ensure we don't miss anything or have unintended effects we didn't anticipate. Does Lucid do VALIDATIONS before they release new HW/SW? If not, they should!
It takes a while to build out a comprehensive set of regression tests. And every once in a while you find out it's not enough.

Yes, it takes a while to build up a comprehensive validation regession script. And it is a never ending process.
That said, I'd expect TOU charging to be a very basic one. It is not an obscure issues. Lucid should be well aware of such a need and tested their 2.0 software before releasing it.

Yes, it takes a while to build up a comprehensive validation regession script. And it is a never ending process.
That said, I'd expect TOU charging to be a very basic one. It is not an obscure issues. Lucid should be well aware of such a need and tested their 2.0 software before releasing it.
“Should” tends to be a bad word. People (and companies) make mistakes; learning from them is the important part.

I don’t get the error on 2.0.28 anymore, fyi.

Issue #1, I got my Lucid Air GT on Nov 12, with the 2.0 software already installed. According to other Lucid owners who owned their Lucids PRIOR to the 2.0 update, thie feature for off-ppeak charging used to work but, as you found out, was removed by Lucid in the 2.0 OTA update. So, when I tried to schedule my Lucid Air to delaycharging until TOU, it doesn't work. The Lucid will go to sleep in the meanwhile and when my L2 charger kicks in at 9PM (TOU time), the Lucid won't be awake. Another user suggest you can try "automation" via your phone. I tried that but have not been successful. The automation seems to work (i.e., triggers a lunch of the Lucid App at 9PM to wake up the car) but then the Lucid will post a "Charging Error" and requires a PHYSICAL disconnect and reconnect the charge plu to continue. This is utterly ridiculous. We need to keep bugging Lucid to fix these problems.Seems like no one thought about "delayed charging" when they changed the 2.0 software. I find this alarming....don't these Lucid folks charge during TOU or do they all get free charging at work or via EA and don't care about the tariff?! Lucid seem s oblivious to the delay charging/TOU issue. It is also an environmental issue as TOU reduces the need to build more power generation plants and make better use of the installed capacity.

Issue #2: I was blown away when I found out the Lucid has no built-in charging SCHEDULER. My Honda Clarity (PHEV) has such a scheduler built into the car to take advantage of TOU charging. I believe many other EVs/PHEVs also have a scheduler built-in. Why the Lucid doesn't have it is totally beyond me! Lucid needs to take this matter seriously and develop a scheduler.

I spent my whole career developing leading-edge high-tech technologies and products. I understand that sometimes the developer makes changes to the product (HW/SW) and craete unintended consequences. We have very extensive VALIDATION procedures before we release a new product or a software update. These VALIDATIONS scripts involve running suites of customer usage sceanrios and corner-cases in order to ensure we don't miss anything or have unintended effects we didn't anticipate. Does Lucid do VALIDATIONS before they release new HW/SW? If not, they should!
This seems like a very important feature to you. Perhaps you should have checked for it before you purchased the car.

People from Lucid do lurk on these forums. Perhaps we’ll be lucky enough to have them see your post, and then they’ll get to work adding a charging scheduler via a software update. Not only could it happen, I’d rate it as very likely, the more so if they see multiple posts like yours demanding that feature.

Back