Cancelling my Air Pure order, here's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRoussel

Cars
Tesla M3P
Hello,

Let me start by saying that I believe the Lucid Air is overall an excellent car and the company is really pushing it in terms of efficiency and packaging.

My decision is centered around one major item.

At 118,000$ (in Canadian dollars), I can't accept that it has no lane centering. And the only way to get it is a 12,000$ option, bringing the total to a whopping 130 grands, before all taxes.

I wished Lucid had offered this feature as either standard with DreamDrive (as was supposed to be the case originally), or as an affordable option, like for example 2,000$.

The problem with getting the car without this capability, beside not being able to use it myself, is that it will affect the resale value of the car. I tend to keep my cars 3-4 years. I can't imagine trying to sell a luxury car in 2027 without what will be a common feature, even in the cheapest cars.

So as it stands 130k$ is just too much for what this car is worth IMHO. And note that this is the pre-hike price which I benefit from. If you reserve one today, the same configuration is 148,000$.

I would also add that the sales people here in Montreal didn't help much. I had explicitly mentioned the need to drive the car on the highway before my second test drive. It's only once I reached the service center that they mentioned it would not be possible.

I'll pass on the Lucid and wait for something else. Competition is slowly coming from other manufacturers.

Reactions: DBV
Hello,

Let me start by saying that I believe the Lucid Air is overall an excellent car and the company is really pushing it in terms of efficiency and packaging.

At 118,000$ (in Canadian dollars), I can't accept that it has no lane centering. And the only way to get it is a 12,000$ option, bringing the total to a whopping 130 grands, before all taxes.

I wished Lucid had offered this feature as either standard with DreamDrive (as was supposed to be the case originally), or as an affordable option, like for example 2,000$.

The problem with getting the car without this capability, beside not being able to use it myself, is that it will affect the resale value of the car. I tend to keep my cars 3-4 years. I can't imagine trying to sell a luxury car in 2027 without what will be a common feature, even in the cheapest cars.

So as it stands 130k$ is just too much for what this car is worth IMHO. And note that this is the pre-hike price which I benefit from. If you reserve one today, the same configuration is 148,000$.

I would also add that the sales people here in Montreal didn't help much. I had explicitly mentioned the need to drive the car on the highway before my second test drive. It's only once I reached the service center that they mentioned it would not be possible.

I'll pass on the Lucid and wait for something else. Competition is slowly coming from other manufacturers.
I wish I could remove the lane centering from my car and give it to you. I leave it and HA off. I like to drive the car, not have it drive me. All the best in the future.

Also, I'm unsure how lane centering works in Canada since it's geofenced. Better to wait.

I believe lane centering is on authorized mapped freeways only. There are certain freeways even in Texas I can’t use lane centering HA. That is not really a missed feature for me even if I can use it. The car itself is a dream driving machine.

You should test drive a car with the lane centering for more than 10 miles and see if your thinking is the same. I truly believe you will find you’re good without it.

I drove with HA for the first time today. Ugh. I’m an old dog. I like driving. I did racing with the BMW Car Club for years. I cannot understand why anyone would want to drive a car this wonderful and not actively drive the car. I love this car and I love driving this car. Sorry that anyone bowed out without actually experiencing what a great car this is.

Hello,

This post is sort of weird. At most design studios, the staff encourage test drivers to take it on the highway. I wonder if it is a Canadian thing.

The two items that are most often mentioned in this forum as being in DD Pro but not DD are 360 cameras and HA. As noted above, these are features that are very common on cars, usually don't require an upgrade and, if they do, not $9K. DD Pro should have to stand on its ability to do Level 3 or 4 automation, not by slipping some ordinary ADAS functions into the option package.
I wish I could remove the lane centering from my car and give it to you. I leave it and HA off. I like to drive the car, not have it drive me. All the best in the future.
Me too. That is the first thing I have turned off in every car I had that used it.

In NY, test drivers were also prohibited from taking the car on the highway. To make matters worse, the highway is approximately 300 yards from where the test drives are started. Go figure.

Weird. Our test drive included a decent stretch of highway, including playing with the highway assist. The sales chap seemed in no real hurry to get back to the store, which was a good thing because we were enjoying the awesomeness of the Air so much we went well past his usual turn-around point (and detoured onto some fun twisties). He did sit in the front all the time but that gave both my wife and me the opportunity to experience the vastness of the rear legroom (we're not tall people ... :D )

Anyway, sorry to see you cancel, @HRoussel - I hope you find the right vehicle for you.

I drove with HA for the first time today. Ugh. I’m an old dog. I like driving. I did racing with the BMW Car Club for years. I cannot understand why anyone would want to drive a car this wonderful and not actively drive the car. I love this car and I love driving this car. Sorry that anyone bowed out without actually experiencing what a great car this is.
I drove from DC to Utah and there's plenty of long stretches where HA was super helpful and made the journey much easier than it would've been

I drove from DC to Utah and there's plenty of long stretches where HA was super helpful and made the journey much easier than it would've been
On my long drives I enjoy ACC but not HA. I guess I’m old-school, I just like to steer the car for myself.

Weird. Our test drive included a decent stretch of highway, including playing with the highway assist. The sales chap seemed in no real hurry to get back to the store, which was a good thing because we were enjoying the awesomeness of the Air so much we went well past his usual turn-around point (and detoured onto some fun twisties). He did sit in the front all the time but that gave both my wife and me the opportunity to experience the vastness of the rear legroom (we're not tall people ... :D )

Anyway, sorry to see you cancel, @HRoussel - I hope you find the right vehicle for you.
Well the story is not over yet!

The studio manager called me yesterday to apologize about the disappointing test drive. She even offered to take the vehicle to my home so I could try it out correctly.

So I might give it another try possibly this Friday.

There's still the question of HA. According to her it's included in standard DreamDrive. I'm trying to find out more about this (will call Lucid USA if required).

I agree that their attempt at "tiering" the different trim levels sucks.

My $115k Touring doesn't get massage seats? But my $70k Genesis has them.

I would think that the battery/power increments were enough. All the luxury items should still be available. Even if it's an option.

I would think that the battery/power increments were enough. All the luxury items should still be available. Even if it's an option.
That has been one of my complaints about high end car makers for years. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Cadillac, etc.). They force you to go up in model without even offering an option at the lower trim level. For example, I like a smaller car but got a BMW 5 series because I couldn't get the features I wanted on a 3 series.

Sigh… Can’t make everyone happy.

(Maybe that’s why Porsche has 50+ add-on options)

That’s what literally every car does.

... For example, I like a smaller car but got a BMW 5 series because I couldn't get the features I wanted on a 3 series.
Same here, I looked briefly at Audi's Q4 e-tron - but no 360 cams are available at any trim level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back