CA front license plate discussion

AIR.LUCID

Cars
‘04 Prius, ‘98 MB SLK230
Can it be driven in California without a front license plate? It doesn’t look like there is a good place for one.

No

Not legally...but I have been without issue lol

Not legally...but I have been without issue lol
$196 + for a ticket if someone decides their town needs extra income

I mean, I have it in the car...haha. I'll just say I haven't gotten it mounted yet =P

You can have a front license plate holder if you want, delivery advisors are asking if you want this or not when you confirm you order. Being in Arizona, I certainly will not get one.

You can take a photo or scan your front plate and print the image onto an OraJet vinyl inkjet glossy (somehow waterproof) adhesive backed (removable in one piece) sheet.

I’ve been in contact with a company called Sto N Sho and I use their product on my Mercedes-Benz GLE450 and it works great. I’m trying to get them to design a system for the Lucid Air, once they do I’m getting one for my GT.

Here's the e-mail I got back regarding timing and the process.

Here's how our process works: Once we receive your order, we will submit the information you provided to the DMV of Sacramento. After validating the information, the DMV of Sacramento will inform us, and we then start the production of your LPW. They will issue a participating letter which confirms you are in the pilot program. The letter will be mailed directly from DMV of Sacramento to the address you provided on your order. The whole process takes 3 to 4 weeks.

So maybe? if your state's DMV is doing the same type of program.

Here's the e-mail I got back regarding timing and the process.

Here's how our process works: Once we receive your order, we will submit the information you provided to the DMV of Sacramento. After validating the information, the DMV of Sacramento will inform us, and we then start the production of your LPW. They will issue a participating letter which confirms you are in the pilot program. The letter will be mailed directly from DMV of Sacramento to the address you provided on your order. The whole process takes 3 to 4 weeks.

So maybe? if your state's DMV is doing the same type of program.
Thanks so much for response. I will probably get Florida plates and then transport car to CT. So probably Florida governs but CT might not accept. Think I will go your route of taking a chance without front plate.

I will probably get Florida plates and then transport car to CT. So probably Florida governs but CT might not accept. Think I will go your route of taking a chance without front plate.

If you own domiciles in both states, you can tag the car under the rules of the the state in which you register it, and no other state can override that.

When I lived in Chicago I drove my cars without front plates. Chicago finally began to crack down, and I got hit with a couple of tickets in quick succession. I checked with my insurance company which said I could garage the cars in a jurisdiction different from where they were registered without jeopardizing my insurance, so I just switched all my car registrations to Florida where I also owned a home. I never got another ticket.

If you own domiciles in both states, you can tag the car under the rules of the the state in which you register it, and no other state can override that.

When I lived in Chicago I drove my cars without front plates. Chicago finally began to crack down, and I got hit with a couple of tickets in quick succession. I checked with my insurance company which said I could garage the cars in a jurisdiction different from where they were registered without jeopardizing my insurance, so I just switched all my car registrations to Florida where I also owned a home. I never got another ticket.
Very helpful. Thanks.

I ordered one of these, just so there is no extra mounting holes.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/shop

They want $85. You can make your own if you have a smartphone or scanner, and a inkjet printer. Printable glossy vinyl sticker sheets by OraJet will work. A little 3M uv spray and done.

True, but is that considered legal? Not sure if sticker plates are legal if not from a licensed retailer or without submitting a form to the DMV. Either way, $85 is cheap.

They want $85. You can make your own if you have a smartphone or scanner, and a inkjet printer. Printable glossy vinyl sticker sheets by OraJet will work. A little 3M uv spray and done.

They’ve taken the work to be legitimately approved by the CA DMV and CHP, so it’s a bit more than just printing your own. Also, $85 isn’t much more than a standard vanity plate.

Can it be driven in California without a front license plate? It doesn’t look like there is a good place for one.
I has a Tesla S in CA for 7 years w/o a front plate. I got one ticket when I was parked on street in San Francisco for a lunch. Evidently one can shoplift, use/sell drugs openly and crap on the street but a missing plate will incur the full wrath of San Francisco law enforcement. We moved to North Carolina which only uses a rear late so I am now off the hook.

Good luck.

Back