Can I use Tesla wheels on the Air?

martinmeyer

Cars
2022 Lucid Air Grand Tour
I just placed my reservation for an Air GT. I'm in Massachusetts, so if I get the 20" or 21" wheels with summer tires I'll certainly need a set of 19's for winter tires. I've been swapping 19's and 21's on my Model S for several years, and don't mind the hassle as a trade off for the nicer look and drive of the 21's. I actually like the slight harshness they bring. Seeing as I'll be selling that Model S soon, I'm going to have to pick which set to sell with it and which to keep/sell separately. This got me thinking though... could I keep the set of 19's and use them on my new Air? I'm not sure what specs determine compatibility for a wheel and car, so I don't know how to check for compatibility.

Has anyone tried using Tesla 19" wheels on an Air, or which which specs I can look up to tell if they would be compatible? It would be really convenient to not have to buy another set of wheels for winter.

Lucid Air 21" Wheel Specs:
Front - 21x8.5 +37 offset
Rear - 21x9.5 +41.75 offset
Bolt Pattern is 5x120mm

Front tires are 245/35/21
Rear tires 265/35/21

I don't know what the center bore of the Lucid 21" wheel is, you will want to ask Lucid. So long as the Tesla center bore is the same or larger than the Lucid you should be OK. In the case the Tesla bore is larger, you will need a hub centering ring. If the center bore of the Lucid is greater than the Tesla, you are out of luck. Or if some kind forum member has a spare set of wheels and a micrometer they can take a quick measurement for you.

As for your Tesla, I think they are 5x120mm. I don't know if that bolt pattern has stayed the same throughout the Model S production, but you should check. If you inspect the wheel, you should be able to find a sticker or a stamping that shows the wheel specs.

If the offsets are significantly different, you may run into clearance issues. You'll want to bolt up the wheel and check to make sure there is no interference. The same applies if your Tesla wheels are wider. IE: They might bolt on because they are 5x120mm and have the right center bore, but because of a difference in offset or tire width, you may run into interference with suspension components or wheel liners at full steering wheel lock. Wider wheels or changes in offset can have a impact on the steering feel of the car, just a FYI.

Lastly, overall diameter circumference of the wheel based on tire specs need to be considered. They may be slightly different, which may throw your speedometer off by a few mph, assuming the Lucid calculates its speed based on a wheel speed.

There are several wheel calculators online that will help you compare wheel diameters, tell you how much your speedo will be off by, and also show you based on wheel specs and offsets if the wheel will sit more inwards or outwards on the hub. However, nothing beats actually putting the wheel on and making sure.

Edit: Forgot to mention brake caliper clearance on the inside of the wheel.

Last edited:
Unplugged Performance has a good record of the tech specs of each stock tire Tesla has used. The tire sizes available for 19" and 21" are the same, so I assume outside diameter will be the same.

It looks like all of them have a 64.1mm center bore, and 40mm offset. Bolt pattern is the standard 5x120.

This is not quite the same as the Air's offsets, and looks like the tire might end up slightly in or slightly out relative to the stock wheels. I need to find out the Air's bore size, and whether the few mm difference in offset would be a problem.

According to this page on Tire Rack, the offset is the offset of the mounting surface from center towards to the street side. So if I have a 40mm offset, the plane that is up against the brake rotor is 40mm closer to the street than the mid point of the wheel's overall width. So an offset of less than 40mm would move the tire inward, more than 40mm would move it outward.

It also strikes me that with staggered wheels, the rear wheels are wider but the offset reported is still 40mm for all of Tesla's wheels. 40mm from center is different when the wheel is 9.5" wide compared to 8.5" wide. Obviously there's some amount of tolerance there. A calculation on Wolfram Alpha shows me that the difference in the offset should effectively be 13mm, if I did this math right. Does this mean that if I were to carefully measure the distance from the inside of the 19"'s edge to the mounting plane and compare that distance to the 21" wheel that I'd find they are 13mm different, to keep things consistent? That's my current understanding, at least.

Based on all this data so far, it looks like the Tesla 19's on the front would be about 3mm further outward than the 21's quoted above, and the rear wheels would be 1.75mm inward. I think it's likely this would be fine, but I will follow up with Lucid to see if they can confirm.

I apologize, I misspoke regarding diameter, I intended to say circumference.

You might these links to be helpful tools:
or this

I didn't realize the Model S wheels were "square", meaning there is no width stagger to them. At least that is what I'm seeing from the Unplugged website. The calculator shows that running the more narrow Tesla rim in the rear will have the wheel sit more recessed in the wheel well, when compared to the Lucid 21. You could try to remedy this by running a wheel space that pushes out the wheel to return it to a more flush or stock position. However, when using a spacer make sure you have enough thread engagement on wheel stud. General rule of thumb is to have the lug nut thread engagement of 1-1.5x the diameter of the stud . IE: a M14x1.75mm wheel stud, will ideally have (14*1.5)/1.75 turns of the wheel lug nut; 12 turns. ***I'm assume the Air doesn't use wheel bolts similar those found on Porsches****

And speaking of stud, you want to make sure the lug nuts from the Air fit the Tesla wheel. Lug nuts can have different seats, See - https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5022/~/lug-nut-seat-type

Lots to think about when just fitting wheels. Unless you are in a huge rush, I'd keep the 19" and test it on the GT when you get it. If it doesn't work, or you don't like the look, I'm sure it won't be hard to unload the set. Or I guess you could make friends with a local Air owner.

Does anyone asked Lucid Engineers the same question?

Lucid will be ready to reply, if it is not feasible!

Lucid Air 21" Wheel Specs:
Front - 21x8.5 +37 offset
Rear - 21x9.5 +41.75 offset
Bolt Pattern is 5x120mm

Front tires are 245/35/21
Rear tires 265/35/21

I don't know what the center bore of the Lucid 21" wheel is, you will want to ask Lucid. So long as the Tesla center bore is the same or larger than the Lucid you should be OK. In the case the Tesla bore is larger, you will need a hub centering ring. If the center bore of the Lucid is greater than the Tesla, you are out of luck. Or if some kind forum member has a spare set of wheels and a micrometer they can take a quick measurement for you.

As for your Tesla, I think they are 5x120mm. I don't know if that bolt pattern has stayed the same throughout the Model S production, but you should check. If you inspect the wheel, you should be able to find a sticker or a stamping that shows the wheel specs.

If the offsets are significantly different, you may run into clearance issues. You'll want to bolt up the wheel and check to make sure there is no interference. The same applies if your Tesla wheels are wider. IE: They might bolt on because they are 5x120mm and have the right center bore, but because of a difference in offset or tire width, you may run into interference with suspension components or wheel liners at full steering wheel lock. Wider wheels or changes in offset can have a impact on the steering feel of the car, just a FYI.

Lastly, overall diameter circumference of the wheel based on tire specs need to be considered. They may be slightly different, which may throw your speedometer off by a few mph, assuming the Lucid calculates its speed based on a wheel speed.

There are several wheel calculators online that will help you compare wheel diameters, tell you how much your speedo will be off by, and also show you based on wheel specs and offsets if the wheel will sit more inwards or outwards on the hub. However, nothing beats actually putting the wheel on and making sure.

Edit: Forgot to mention brake caliper clearance on the inside of the wheel.
Where did you get this info...Im looking for the same detailed info for the 19" THanks!!

Where did you get this info...Im looking for the same detailed info for the 19" THanks!!
It was awhile, I totally don't remember. Try asking someone in service, I bet they can pull this up for you EZ PZ. Otherwise, I would wager that its stamped on the wheel somewhere.

The 21" aftermarket wheels for Tesla Model S 2012-2020 works. Probably the 19" also. We are willing to sell a set with discount to test this. This is the 21". But we have 19" in the same design.
glossytitanium.jpg

The 21" aftermarket wheels for Tesla Model S 2012-2020 works. Probably the 19" also. We are willing to sell a set with discount to test this. This is the 21". But we have 19" in the same design.
View attachment 9948
What is the price for 4 wheels with tires to fit Lucid Air Dream Edition? and how to contact you? Thanks.

What is the price for 4 wheels with tires to fit Lucid Air Dream Edition? and how to contact you? Thanks.
Hi! I will set up a thread in the vendors section. But meanwhile: order from thenewaero.com and use the coupon code "lucidowners" for 10% discount. In the checkout you will see all costs specified including shipping and your state tax. From what I can see the Dream Edition is delivered with 21" so you can actually swap the tires from them to our wheels.

Link to the specific set in the picture 21" Glossy Titanium. We only sell the rims. If you are located in California or Florida we have some resellers but not in other states.

Hi! I will set up a thread in the vendors section. But meanwhile: order from thenewaero.com and use the coupon code "lucidowners" for 10% discount. In the checkout you will see all costs specified including shipping and your state tax. From what I can see the Dream Edition is delivered with 21" so you can actually swap the tires from them to our wheels.

Link to the specific set in the picture 21" Glossy Titanium. We only sell the rims. If you are located in California or Florida we have some resellers but not in other states.
Actually I am looking for 19" wheels with tire for DE.

Ok, I can not say if they clear the brake calipers. What we can do is I ship them first, and you try them. If they fit we process the payment. If not we return them.
Our 19x8,5" for Model S is the one we should try. Tires 245/45-19. We have Satin black and dark silver colored.

Hi! We know that they fit now so the offer is no longer valid. Regiular price 2299 $ per set + tax and shipping

Have you compared the efficiency of your 19 rims to the stock OEM 19 rims with aero covers? Interested to see if your rims would affect range.. Thanks
The range will be the same. 19" makes very little difference whatever style. Max 3% and since both our and the oem 19" covers are efficient the difference is basically 0.

Back