Back in the saddle...

Snafu

Verified Owner
Cars
2000 RAV4, AGT/Zen Red
NH owner here, and after getting broadsided back in early November, I’ve been lurking on the forum to see what has been updated, is or is not working better for folks, and waiting see for myself how things would be once I got my car back. After a complicated dance between insurance company issues (delays with adjustors, etc.), some delays in getting parts, the discovery of additional damages as repairs progressed, getting more parts, and general Karma, it ended up being 3.5 months in the shop. Hollis Auto Body in Ashland, MA, did excellent work once all the pieces were in place, the paint on all the replaced panels matches perfectly, and they detailed her and sent her on to the LUCID Service Center in Natick, MA, where all the updates were installed, the calibrations for all the sensors and cameras were done, and a few minor fixes were made to items the techs found unrelated to the accident, as well as a final spit and polish. When I walked in, I thought it was a display car sitting in the spotlight, and she was gorgeous… definitely looked brand new. Steve, the manager set me up for the ride home, but the tech (Mark) who had worked on the car and kept me in the loop was unfortunately home sick, so I couldn’t thank him in person. They seemed pretty busy prepping cars for delivery, etc.

The ride home was amazing. After being in a crappy rental that floated along the roads, it was great to sit in a car where I could actually feel the road (and not hear it), had great control of the steering, and was instantly responsive to driving situations. I vaguely remembered I thought the visibility through the back window and such wasn’t great from before, but during the ride the turn cameras and mirrors seemed to give me an excellent view of the environment surrounding the car. It was a bit rough getting used to the aggressive regen braking again, but within a half hour, it all came back. (I would still like to see something on the cockpit showing me when my brakes come on, especially while in traffic.) My cameras were all instant (or near-instant) on, with no blackouts, and Alexa only had the occasional glitch. Even the NAV was cooperating. Although I would like the option of seeing both NAV and entertainment, I do also like seeing the close-in as well as full-trip screens, so no real complaints. (I do miss my current mi/kWh info) I checked out the ACC and the Highway Assist, and the latter really worked better than when I last tried it out: really kept centered in the lanes, even on curves, and using the directional meant no tugging the wheel to change lanes, and it seamless settled into the new lane once I had made the change. Happily, all my profile settings had survived, and the fob and my phone stayed connected to the car. It was about 120 miles home, and I was not driving as laid-back as usual, but I still ended up with 3.7 efficiency (speeds between 70 and 80), so not too shabby – weather was in the 50s and breezy. I did plug the car in when I got home and got the “error” from my HomeFlex Charger, but we’ll see if my usual fix (just wait till the scheduled 9:00PM, which is off-peak charging rates time, and go out and plug her in) still works. I have it set to stop charging at 80%. Hopefully an update will fix that at some point.

Road trip time tomorrow – checking out points West and heading to Vermont.

Thanks to everyone for their comments (good and bad) on software progress (or not) on the car, and tips on things to look out for, but this is definitely a different car than the one I first drove home from the Boston Studio in September.

Glad you are ok. How did the car perform in the accident?

Glad you are ok. How did the car perform in the accident?
The safety cage really did it's job. I was in the front l passenger seat, and the driver and I just felt the rough bump. The rear passenger (luckily on the opposite side of the car from the direct impact) did get a bit of neck whiplash from the side hit, but PT took care of that within a few weeks. Not a scratch on any of us, so I was very pleased.

NH owner here, and after getting broadsided back in early November, I’ve been lurking on the forum to see what has been updated, is or is not working better for folks, and waiting see for myself how things would be once I got my car back. After a complicated dance between insurance company issues (delays with adjustors, etc.), some delays in getting parts, the discovery of additional damages as repairs progressed, getting more parts, and general Karma, it ended up being 3.5 months in the shop. Hollis Auto Body in Ashland, MA, did excellent work once all the pieces were in place, the paint on all the replaced panels matches perfectly, and they detailed her and sent her on to the LUCID Service Center in Natick, MA, where all the updates were installed, the calibrations for all the sensors and cameras were done, and a few minor fixes were made to items the techs found unrelated to the accident, as well as a final spit and polish. When I walked in, I thought it was a display car sitting in the spotlight, and she was gorgeous… definitely looked brand new. Steve, the manager set me up for the ride home, but the tech (Mark) who had worked on the car and kept me in the loop was unfortunately home sick, so I couldn’t thank him in person. They seemed pretty busy prepping cars for delivery, etc.

The ride home was amazing. After being in a crappy rental that floated along the roads, it was great to sit in a car where I could actually feel the road (and not hear it), had great control of the steering, and was instantly responsive to driving situations. I vaguely remembered I thought the visibility through the back window and such wasn’t great from before, but during the ride the turn cameras and mirrors seemed to give me an excellent view of the environment surrounding the car. It was a bit rough getting used to the aggressive regen braking again, but within a half hour, it all came back. (I would still like to see something on the cockpit showing me when my brakes come on, especially while in traffic.) My cameras were all instant (or near-instant) on, with no blackouts, and Alexa only had the occasional glitch. Even the NAV was cooperating. Although I would like the option of seeing both NAV and entertainment, I do also like seeing the close-in as well as full-trip screens, so no real complaints. (I do miss my current mi/kWh info) I checked out the ACC and the Highway Assist, and the latter really worked better than when I last tried it out: really kept centered in the lanes, even on curves, and using the directional meant no tugging the wheel to change lanes, and it seamless settled into the new lane once I had made the change. Happily, all my profile settings had survived, and the fob and my phone stayed connected to the car. It was about 120 miles home, and I was not driving as laid-back as usual, but I still ended up with 3.7 efficiency (speeds between 70 and 80), so not too shabby – weather was in the 50s and breezy. I did plug the car in when I got home and got the “error” from my HomeFlex Charger, but we’ll see if my usual fix (just wait till the scheduled 9:00PM, which is off-peak charging rates time, and go out and plug her in) still works. I have it set to stop charging at 80%. Hopefully an update will fix that at some point.

Road trip time tomorrow – checking out points West and heading to Vermont.

Thanks to everyone for their comments (good and bad) on software progress (or not) on the car, and tips on things to look out for, but this is definitely a different car than the one I first drove home from the Boston Studio in September.
Congratulations! Wishing you lodes of happy rides and memories ahead. Your experience after 3.5 months reminds us all that things are improving with software at a faster pace than sometimes everyone realizes.

I hit a deer on 11/20. Same issues going back and forth with insurance and lucid. Car is finally in shop, disassembled but still no parts in. Any advice on how to put the pressure on lucid for parts? I miss my car.

I hit a deer on 11/20. Same issues going back and forth with insurance and lucid. Car is finally in shop, disassembled but still no parts in. Any advice on how to put the pressure on lucid for parts? I miss my car.
This is what's keeping a friend of mine from buying most any EV. He's deathly afraid of having an accident and waiting for months for body parts. He's not that wrong. :(

This is what's keeping a friend of mine from buying most any EV. He's deathly afraid of having an accident and waiting for months for body parts. He's not that wrong. :(
That's not specific to EV's. Took 5 months to get parts for my BMW motorcycle after getting hit last summer. The repair shop has tons of boxes of parts that are partial orders for bikes in their shop where they are waiting for the critical parts to be delivered before starting a tear-down.

I mean, if you are afraid of having an accident should you really be driving? My opinion. And also EVs and gas cars are equally affected by the chip shortage.

I mean, if you are afraid of having an accident should you really be driving? My opinion. And also EVs and gas cars are equally affected by the chip shortage.
Let's be honest, some accidents are unavoidable and so repair issues and wait times are a legitimate concern. It might not have affected someone like me who's now on their 4th EV, but I can see some being skittish. I do agree though the chip shortage affects all cars pretty much equally.

That's not specific to EV's. Took 5 months to get parts for my BMW motorcycle after getting hit last summer. The repair shop has tons of boxes of parts that are partial orders for bikes in their shop where they are waiting for the critical parts to be delivered before starting a tear-down.
It can be specific to low volume cars and many EVs are low volume. I've been on multiple EV forums and it seems to me, at least anecdotally, that wait times for body repair are longer than for say a Toyota. Add to that the fact that many body shops aren't either equipped for it or won't touch EVs due to the high voltage battery and you can see why it's often not as simple a task to get an EV repaired.

It can be specific to low volume cars and many EVs are low volume. I've been on multiple EV forums and it seems to me, at least anecdotally, that wait times for body repair are longer than for say a Toyota. Add to that the fact that many body shops aren't either equipped for it or won't touch EVs due to the high voltage battery and you can see why it's often not as simple a task to get an EV repaired.
But if we compared it to an s class..

Ronwiv,
Can you PM me? For some reason I could not start a conversation with you...

The Hollis auto body shop in MA worked closely with the LUCID service folks to be trained on repairing LUCIDs, and they deal with not just high-end cars, but also with Tesla as well as LUCID EVs. There are more shops looking to the future and expanding to EV repair. My concern had been the towing/transport of my vehicle from the accident scene to the auto body shop recommended by LUCID Customer Service. LUCID contacted a tow company which had been specifically trained by them on proper transport procedures, and he was meticulous. I was notified as soon as the car had safely reached the shop. What gave me warm fuzzies was that one of the techs who had made two mobile service calls to my house was present when the car was towed into the shop, recognized my plate, and called to make sure I and my passengers were all ok. It was a long, painful process, but for the most part I live in the real world and realize things are not yet "back to normal". The "low volume" can work both for and against you.

when the regen braking is on, do the brake lights come on? Never followed myself, so I can't tell

when the regen braking is on, do the brake lights come on? Never followed myself, so I can't tell
I had this question too and I asked the sales guy during my test drive and he said yes since the car is actually braking.

I had this question too and I asked the sales guy during my test drive and he said yes since the car is actually braking.
Does the light come on as soon as the pressure is let off the pedal, or at some point later? I think there may have been some discussion about this way back but I forgot what the answer was.

This has always been my issue. I always keep an eye on the rearview mirror, and it seems that those behind be seem to brake fairly late - not sure if they're just bad drivers or they are not seeing the brake lights on my car. Having a light come on somewhere on the dash to let me know my brake lights come on would go a long way to feeling that getting rear-ended is not something I could inadvertently contribute to.

This has always been my issue. I always keep an eye on the rearview mirror, and it seems that those behind be seem to brake fairly late - not sure if they're just bad drivers or they are not seeing the brake lights on my car. Having a light come on somewhere on the dash to let me know my brake lights come on would go a long way to feeling that getting rear-ended is not something I could inadvertently contribute to.
I agree, the UI should indicate somehow when the brake lights are on.

But my understanding is that it’s based on rate of deceleration, not the position of the brake pedal, or lack of pressure on the accelerator, etc. It’s a threshold of how quickly you are slowing down that triggers the lights. Which makes sense. You wouldn’t want the brake lights coming on every time you set ACC and take your foot off the pedal entirely.

Not really…3 months in the body shop for a 2021 Corolla waiting for parts. Some parts are readily available while others are not.

Back