Apple is opening NFC to 3rd Party Apps (iOS 18.1)

HC_79

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2023 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
AWNJLGKT
Now this could be interesting. Wonder if Lucid has any plans to add NFC support to the Lucid iOS App anytime soon. This might help alleviate those who still have random unlocking issues via the mobile key using Bluetooth.

Now this could be interesting. Wonder if Lucid has any plans to add NFC support to the Lucid iOS App anytime soon. This might help alleviate those who still have random unlocking issues via the mobile key using Bluetooth.

I can hear the conversation in Lucid HQ now... "What a nice Christmas gift NFC functionality would make for our most valued customers! And all we have to do is move Android Auto to the back burner for a few months." AAARRRAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!! :)

I believe this is strictly for NFC tap payments. Not other NFC uses.

SO unless you want Lucid to charge you every time you open your car door, this isn't going to do much for you.

I believe this is strictly for NFC tap payments. Not other NFC uses.

SO unless you want Lucid to charge you every time you open your car door, this isn't going to do much for you.
It literally says car keys

“developers will be able to offer in-app contactless transactions for in-store payments, car keys, closed-loop transit, corporate badges, student IDs, home keys, hotel keys, merchant loyalty and rewards cards, and event tickets, with government IDs to be supported in the future.”

Don’t think people are going to be charged to tap for car keys, home keys, hotel keys etc.

Am I imagining things, or hasn't this been around forever? I thought I remembered using my phone as an NFC device to unlock my Model 3 circa 2018. NFC hotel keys have been in Google Wallet for quite a while, I imagine Apple's too.

Am I imagining things, or hasn't this been around forever? I thought I remembered using my phone as an NFC device to unlock my Model 3 circa 2018. NFC hotel keys have been in Google Wallet for quite a while, I imagine Apple's too.
In the case of the iPhone, it’s always been Bluetooth, not NFC. This is why you have to launch the app or open a wallet pass to get it to work.

NFC on iPhone was strictly limited to Apple Pay and some approved transit cards, such as Clipper here in San Francisco, or the Metro in DC.

They were forced to open up NFC to other payment types by Europe recently. I suppose they decided they might as well do the same here in the US.

In the case of the iPhone, it’s always been Bluetooth, not NFC. This is why you have to launch the app or open a wallet pass to get it to work.

NFC on iPhone was strictly limited to Apple Pay and some approved transit cards, such as Clipper here in San Francisco, or the Metro in DC.
I thought that BMW was using Apple NFC for car keys for a few years now.

It literally says car keys

“developers will be able to offer in-app contactless transactions for in-store payments, car keys, closed-loop transit, corporate badges, student IDs, home keys, hotel keys, merchant loyalty and rewards cards, and event tickets, with government IDs to be supported in the future.”

Don’t think people are going to be charged to tap for car keys, home keys, hotel keys etc.
Ahh. Indeed I missed that.

There is this, however:

“To incorporate this new solution in their iPhone apps, developers will need to enter into a commercial agreement with Apple, request the NFC and SE entitlement, and pay the associated fees.”

So it’s a question of whether Lucid wants to apply for the entitlement, I suppose. I assume the fees do only apply to transactions.

I thought that BMW was using Apple NFC for car keys for a few years now.
They are using Apple Car Key, which I believe uses the Ultra Wideband chip in the phone? Not NFC? Maybe that also incorporates NFC as a backup? I don’t know.

I say this because Lucid can’t add Apple Car Key to the current Air, and the Air has NFC. So I do not think Apple Car Key utilizes NFC. At least not solely.

They are using Apple Car Key, which I believe uses the Ultra Wideband chip in the phone? Not NFC? Maybe that also incorporates NFC as a backup? I don’t know.
I think you may be right but I was thinking BMW was using Apple car key had it before Apple added UWB to their phones.

Update: Car Key can fall back to NFC, in the event your phone battery dies. I do think you are correct that the very first version with BMW was NFC-based. Which is why you had to take your phone out and actually bring it up to the door to open it.

That was an early exclusive partnership, though. I believe all the newer cars use UWB now.

Update: Car Key can fall back to NFC, in the event your phone battery dies. I do think you are correct that the very first version with BMW was NFC-based. Which is why you had to take your phone out and actually bring it up to the door to open it.

That was an early exclusive partnership, though. I believe all the newer cars use UWB now.
This makes sense since both UWB and NFC are using the same Secure Element for security.

iPhone opens the Wallet app when I tap it against the drivers B-pillar. Since the backup key card uses (I presume) standard NFC tech, it should just be an API and some code to make the phone work like the key card, right?

iPhone opens the Wallet app when I tap it against the drivers B-pillar. Since the backup key card uses (I presume) standard NFC tech, it should just be an API and some code to make the phone work like the key card, right?
Famous last words.

Keep in mind, iOS 18.1, where this will first be available, will not ship until about January at the earliest.

Ahh. Indeed I missed that.

There is this, however:

“To incorporate this new solution in their iPhone apps, developers will need to enter into a commercial agreement with Apple, request the NFC and SE entitlement, and pay the associated fees.”

So it’s a question of whether Lucid wants to apply for the entitlement, I suppose. I assume the fees do only apply to transactions.
lol…. There’s always a catch with Apple! :p

Back