CarPlay is here! - Megathread

The fact Apple didn't list anyone that it had partnered with for the initial launch
There was a list of at least 12 automakers on a slide they showed. So, the opposite of what you said.

Not until next year is accurate, however. This was a sneak preview of what’s coming only.

I've read a couple of articles now that say not to expect this to happen for years if at all. The fact Apple didn't list anyone that it had partnered with for the initial launch and when press has spoken to automakers the general response is "we'll look at it". There seems to be alot of resistance to automakers giving access to the cars computer in order to present the stats CarPlay needs for this to work. Apple announced EV Routing in Apple Maps 2 or 3 years ago and as of today, Ford and BMW are the only ones that support it

This should show you how reluctant automakers are to hand over the keys to the kingdom so this new CarPlay could be dead on arrival. As much as everyone wants CarPlay in the Lucid, Maps and Google Maps will be useless (unless Lucid follows Ford and BMW) to you unless you plan on entering charging stops manually and bank on the weather being perfect to get from charger A to charger B because if you hit a headwind or increase elevation that drops the range significantly then you'll be dead in the water because those mapping systems won't know the car doesn't have enough range to make it.
Well, it's a good thing the new NAV update is pretty accurate with SOC%!

Well, it's a good thing the new NAV update is pretty accurate with SOC%!
Exactly! CarPlay aint the be all and end all, especially for EV's. You can't just use the navigation and get off at any exit to charge like you can with an ICE vehicle so it's imperative that car companies actually focus on delivering a good navigation system with a good route planner for EV's. Lucid's latest update to the nav is a solid improvement and being able to sort and filter the chargers is an awesome addition. Seeing the SOC% the time to charge at your next stop etc. is valuable information and will change depending on how you're driving etc. which you won't get with Apple/Google Maps.

The Lucid navigation may not be the prettiest but it works. There was an accident on the I5 in SoCal that had just happened. Within minutes, Apple Maps, Google Maps and Lucid's navigation were all re-routing to get around the accident and taking the same path so the inbuilt system does actually work like it's established brands.

Polestar had an OTA update today that brings Apple carplay to their cars. When's our turn?
Within 3 months! August was thrown around as a rumor. It also puts it into perspective for me. Polestar has Volvo backing and STILL took them this long to implement CarPlay. It's not so bad for Lucid.

Polestar had an OTA update today that brings Apple carplay to their cars. When's our turn?

Rivian and Lucid are now last of the major EV makers to implement CarPlay among those that have said they will support it.

Rivian and Lucid are now last of the major EV makers to implement CarPlay among those that have said they will support it.
I thought Rivian said they weren't supporting CarPlay?

I thought Rivian said they weren't supporting CarPlay?
Correct, my understanding is that Rivian isn’t getting it due to the conflict with Amazon streaming.

Is the Polestar dash display better suited to CarPlay?

You and hydbob must be talking to different "little birds". Hopefully hydbob's bird is closer to the actual situation???

I think I found the aforementioned birds .....

6fca71ff991d05613bfbf4ef83633f80.jpg

Ben Sullins, formerly of “Teslanomics“ youtube fame, posted his video review of his Rivian. He had lots and lots of complaints about the user interface and the lack of Apple CarPlay.

If it’s any consolation, Lucid isn’t the only EV maker making a total screw up of the UI and related software. To paraphrase Ben, “all these EV makers like Tesla and Rivian go their own way because they think they can do it better. Sorry, guys, you can’t.”

Ben Sullins, formerly of “Teslanomics“ youtube fame, posted his video review of his Rivian. He had lots and lots of complaints about the user interface and the lack of Apple CarPlay.

If it’s any consolation, Lucid isn’t the only EV maker making a total screw up of the UI and related software. To paraphrase Ben, “all these EV makers like Tesla and Rivian go their own way because they think they can do it better. Sorry, guys, you can’t.”
I watched that review and thought it was well done. When a reviewer calls out the pros and cons those are the ones I like as all I keep hearing about Rivian is how great it is and everything is perfect on it. It's not perfect and seems to be having similar issues to what Lucid is experiencing when it comes to the software with just little quirks.

Polestar 2 has an iPad like screen which is similar to the Lucid Pilot Panel.

View attachment 2969

I can appreciate the utility of Apple CarPlay, it certainly makes life easier in rental cars. However, as conceptualised here, it looks too, um…utilitarian. Like the Apple Politburo designed it. Would it that Lucid hire software designers who could design software that would not only look organically Lucid-premium beautiful, but equally as useful as CarPlay. If only…

I can appreciate the utility of Apple CarPlay, it certainly makes life easier in rental cars. However, as conceptualised here, it looks too, um…utilitarian. Like the Apple Politburo designed it. Would it that Lucid hire software designers who could design software that would not only look organically Lucid-premium beautiful, but equally as useful as CarPlay. If only…
I totally agree. It is a bland interface. However I do appreciate the Siri integration, sirius XM and the WiFi connection that allows more data to flow between phone and car which gives us access to the Apple Music library of atmos music. It’s unfortunately that lucid didn’t build in some sort of higher data connection in their interface. I also trust google / apple to update their maps regularly. I’m not sure if that is the case with Lucid? Perhaps it os since if I understand correctly it’s an online map that you can opt to download portions of….

As someone who is waiting for a Lucid Air to arrive, let me say that if Lucid can't get CarPlay to work when others can, what doe that say about Lucid? I mean, come on. It is clear that CarPlay is the most requested feature and Lucid has been dragging their feet all this time.

As someone who is waiting for a Lucid Air to arrive, let me say that if Lucid can't get CarPlay to work when others can, what doe that say about Lucid? I mean, come on. It is clear that CarPlay is the most requested feature and Lucid has been dragging their feet all this time.
It took Polestar 2 years of promising to implement so settle down. Do you see it in a Tesla or Rivian? No!

I don't think that Lucid is dragging their feet on CarPlay or Android Auto or any other missing features. IMHO, they botched the entire software platform and are trying to recover and this will take time.

Back