Another Touring order cancellation - here's my reasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCIDTSLA

Cars
Tesla Models S and Y
I signed up in December '21 to buy a Lucid Touring. I have been looking forward to becoming a Lucid owner. But I just chose to cancel my reservation and purchase another vehicle. Here are my reasons why:
  1. I had hoped that by year's end, a 2022 Touring would be delivered to me. As of last week, my delivery associate was unable to confirm a 2022 delivery. Even if I were to accept DD Pro as an (unwanted for me) add-on, there were no guarantees on a 2022 delivery. Vehicle production, while improving, still appears slow. I watched many 'bear' flyovers to try to calm my fears but alas, my Touring was most probably not coming through this year.
  2. Because my car would be delivered in 2023, I would lose the $7500 tax credit. Furthermore, I did not expect to buy DD Pro and spend another $9,000 to get highway assist features. When Lucid announced DD, I was told that DD basic would have lane assist and TACC. I am not ready for full self driving but lane assist is great on our long highway cruises and I want it on my car as well. So next year, my planned Touring would cost me an additional $16,000 over my original cost projection even if I held on to my "old" pricing.
  3. After seeing the S/W issues posted on this site and by driver/ reviewer videos, I was hoping for faster S/W issue resolution. I will agree that these are S/W fixable issues. But to me, the rollout of improvements looks painfully slow for such a currently small fleet of vehicles. This gives me pause.
  4. A few years ago I retired from the world of IT and have since driven our certified-pre-owned 2103 Tesla Model S to all 4 corners of North America. In fact, I found that car so comfy I made long drives a regular feature of our vacations, something we had not done for years. The Tesla supercharging infrastructure is simply fantastic. And while the appeal of free fast charging at EA looks great on paper, the reviews of EA are in and they are not ready for prime time. While I remain hopeful that EA and the other DC fast networks will improve over time, they do not appear ready to currently support long drives without angst.
  5. Not long after I reserved my Lucid, I reserved a LR Tesla Model S as backup and locked in Tesla's "old" pricing. As a Tesla owner, I am well aware of Tesla's strengths, weaknesses and company changes over the years. But after a long wait, I chose delivery of a new 2022 Model S LR over waiting any longer. While the Model S is no longer the new kid on the block, it is still a wonderful vehicle and will take me through the next few years. Perhaps as Lucid matures, I will revisit a Lucid purchase decision down the road.
  6. I want to say thank you to the prolific posters and owners here on this forum. Lucid has some fantastic technology and I hope that your cars perform even beyond the great expectations that we all have of Lucid. Even though I will not be an initial owner, I am rooting for the Lucid team to succeed.

Last edited:
Can you post here the price and options of the model s you decided to get?

Can you post here the price and options of the model s you decided to get?
Our 2022 LR Tesla Model S:

Model S All-Wheel Drive
Deep Blue Metallic (PPSB)
19" Tempest Wheels
Enhanced Autopilot
Cream Premium Interior with Walnut Décor
Pay-as-you-go Supercharging
Price: $105K + CA tax

Last edited:
Our 2022 LR Tesla Model S:

Model S All-Wheel Drive
Deep Blue Metallic (PPSB)
19" Tempest Wheels
Enhanced Autopilot
Cream Premium Interior with Walnut Décor
Pay-as-you-go Supercharging
Price: $105K + CA tax
Very interesting. Because of the old price, the total for Pure AWD DDP SSP 19" is 97k and the first deliveries seem to be planned for Dec 17th. I assume the range of your Model S is the same. However, I can see that with the new pricing and potential Q2 delivery, the same Pure would be about $111k which is still not bad. I can see how touring can be over priced relative to your Tesla and why so many people do not want Touring. Enjoy your car. The 3yr free EA charging for us Lucid early adapters seems to be over rated anyway. Since you chose not to get FSD Beta, you know what you are getting and where you can charge. Happy holidays. Welcome to the forum and also good wishes.

I signed up in December '21 to buy a Lucid Touring. I have been looking forward to becoming a Lucid owner. But I just chose to cancel my reservation and purchase another vehicle. Here are my reasons why:
  1. I had hoped that by year's end, a 2022 Touring would be delivered to me. As of last week, my delivery associate was unable to confirm a 2022 delivery. Even if I were to accept DD Pro as an (unwanted for me) add-on, there were no guarantees on a 2022 delivery. Vehicle production, while improving, still appears slow. I watched many 'bear' flyovers to try to calm my fears but alas, my Touring was most probably not coming through this year.
  2. Because my car would be delivered in 2023, I would lose the $7500 tax credit. Furthermore, I did not expect to buy DD Pro and spend another $9,000 to get highway assist features. When Lucid announced DD, I was told that DD basic would have lane assist and TACC. I am not ready for full self driving but lane assist is great on our long highway cruises and I want it on my car as well. So next year, my planned Touring would cost me an additional $16,000 over my original cost projection even if I held on to my "old" pricing.
  3. After seeing the S/W issues posted on this site and by driver/ reviewer videos, I was hoping for faster S/W issue resolution. I will agree that these are S/W fixable issues. But to me, the rollout of improvements looks painfully slow for such a currently small fleet of vehicles. This gives me pause.
  4. A few years ago I retired from the world of IT and have since driven our certified-pre-owned 2103 Tesla Model S to all 4 corners of North America. In fact, I found that car so comfy I made long drives a regular feature of our vacations, something we had not done for years. The Tesla supercharging infrastructure is simply fantastic. And while the appeal of free fast charging at EA looks great on paper, the reviews of EA are in and they are not ready for prime time. While I remain hopeful that EA and the other DC fast networks will improve over time, they do not appear ready to currently support long drives without angst.
  5. Not long after I reserved my Lucid, I reserved a LR Tesla Model S as backup and locked in Tesla's "old" pricing. As a Tesla owner, I am well aware of Tesla's strengths, weaknesses and company changes over the years. But after a long wait, I chose delivery of a new 2022 Model S LR over waiting any longer. While the Model S is no longer the new kid on the block, it is still a wonderful vehicle and will take me through the next few years. Perhaps as Lucid matures, I will revisit a Lucid purchase decision down the road.
  6. I want to say thank you to the prolific posters and owners here on this forum. Lucid has some fantastic technology and I hope that your cars perform even beyond the great expectations that we all have of Lucid. Even though I will not be an initial owner, I am rooting for the Lucid team to succeed.
Perfectly sound reasoning. Best of luck with your Model S.

Hope you stick around and continue to follow the community here. Maybe next time you are in the market for a car Lucid will have addressed many of these issues for you.

As the Klingons say... Quapla

"I want to say thank you to the prolific posters and owners here on this forum."

I'm a little confused, since your profile indicates you joined the forum today:

"I want to say thank you to the prolific posters and owners here on this forum."

I'm a little confused, since your profile indicates you joined the forum today:

LCIDTSLA

New Member​

Joined Nov 26, 2022 Messages 2 Cars Tesla Models S and Y

Good luck with your new vehicle!! Sincerely hope to see you back one day.😉

There are many lurkers on the forum who are not registered. They could have been around for awhile and decided to join today and make their post.
Got it, Joe. I was just confused. Thank you!

Reactions: Joe

1. It is a lot of if’s if they can get it to you with 5 weeks left for the year despite they are pushing much faster, but holiday truck drivers are all fully booked.

2. You can opted out DDP and still get it early Touring in 2023, you save $9,000, but lost $7500 tax credit. I don’t know how much Model-S price has increased in last 12 months. The locked in Lucid 10k before price increase is a wash there with multiple price increase of Tesla.

Both Model-S and Lucid AT are great cars. Each has its own pros and cons. It all depends on what matters to you the most.

For our family, we have a Pure order of locked in early price. We couldn’t wait that long, we went ahead to get Polestar 2 instead for 4 months wait delivery, then we found we were able to get one immediately in PS Space parking lot. PS2 is really a great car. Everything just works without glitches to reboot and is solid! But when Pure is really delivered to us, we most likely will let go PS2 for it. Once you drive Air, the bar is just set so high to disappointment when you get into other EVs.

I just read in another thread people are already getting Pure delivery on Dec 17th, can pick up directly from Casa Grande factory to make to 2022. They key is get in that DDPro option batch assembly.

Sorry to hear! That new EV credit update and uncertainty if delivered in 2023 has really been screwing both Lucid and customers. I cancelled my Touring too because it's too expensive adding in DDP just to try getting the 2022 delivery.

There are many lurkers on the forum who are not registered. They could have been around for awhile and decided to join today and make their post.
Thanks Joe. I have been following along all year since the earliest Hydbob and other owners' posts. As I wasn't yet an owner and delivery was delayed, I did not post until yesterday. FWIW, I test drove in Beverly Hills in the summer but others had posted their similar observations. Perhaps I will be a Lucid owner further on down the road. Best to all. Cheers

Personally, I would have just gotten the Lucid instead of going for the outdated Model S. Lucid is superior in many ways. I dont trust FSD. Tesla makes a 30% profit margin on cars, the cheapness shows. But I don't drive long distances. If that was the case, I might swallow the bullet and buy a Elon Musk made Tesla.

Personally, I would have just gotten the Lucid instead of going for the outdated Model S. Lucid is superior in many ways. I dont trust FSD. Tesla makes a 30% profit margin on cars, the cheapness shows. But I don't drive long distances. If that was the case, I might swallow the bullet and buy a Elon Musk made Tesla.
Not sure why you think the Model S is outdated, as I think it still looks awesome and is still one of the better looking cars on the road. Maybe because it is my first Tesla and you just don’t see a lot of refresh Model S in Ohio area.

I just don’t get some of the Tesla negativism on this forum. Gets really old. The refresh Model S is still a great EV, especially when you travel a lot like I do.

I get every one has different opinions, but every car has its pluses and minuses including Lucid. 🙂

Not sure why you think the Model S is outdated, as I think it still looks awesome and is still one of the better looking cars on the road. Maybe because it is my first Tesla and you just don’t see a lot of refresh Model S in Ohio area.

I just don’t get some of the Tesla negativism on this forum. Gets really old. The refresh Model S is still a great EV, especially when you travel a lot like I do.

I get every one has different opinions, but every car has its pluses and minuses including Lucid. 🙂

Agree
Well said 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back