Animal reactions

rickbecker2020

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
I live in the mountains of Northern CA so deer along/on the highway are a constant. Has anyone experienced how the car reacts to animals crossing in front??

We have a lot of deer in our area, and given they are "protected" and run free they often cross the roads while grazing. My take is they aren't hearing our Lucid and are not paying attention to us as an on-coming vehicle. I've had to honk or stop to give them the right of way....

Last week, I had taken the Pure up to Yosemite and experienced having some animals crossing the road in front of me, but given the low speeds (40- mph) I was going, I could easily see the creatures crossing ahead in time and slow down.

1) Group of 3 deer crossed in front, car gave me a warning with front cam, but I was going slow enough where I could brake on my own. I think the car was quiet enough where the deer were just crossing at a leisure pace.
2) Small animals (mice, squirrels, fox, and bear cub) didn't get picked up on the cam but crossed rapidly. No reaction from the car.
3) Had Highway Assist in stop and go traffic going average 5 mph and a person crossed in front of the car, but the car didn't seem to slow down and had to hit the brakes myself. Could have been still too far away for the car to give a reaction.

Not much to go off of, but just my experience.

I live in the mountains of Northern CA so deer along/on the highway are a constant. Has anyone experienced how the car reacts to animals crossing in front??
We had a coyote come out from the center divide in the dark. It was instant, the car did not throw any warnings or brake, but honestly we didn't even have time to brake either before he darted across and ended up hitting him with the passenger front corner of the car. He was so fast, he ALMOST made it. The deer in the Nor Cal mountains are even quicker to pop out than the coyote (I grew up in those mountains-Plumas County). Hopefully you stay "deer contact" free and enjoy your car!!

My last car was a BMW 530e with nightvision. That is an infrared camera to spot people and animals ahead. But the take level on nightvision was pretty low so most car companies have stopped offering it.

We live in a forest with lots of roaming deer and other four legged friends(?). We always install deer whistles under the mirrors of our cars. They act like dog whistles and the deer always raise their heads and stare at us as we passed them by. Thus, not only do we get stared at by people trying to figure out what car we are driving but now the deer do the same thing..... LOL!

We live in a forest with lots of roaming deer and other four legged friends(?). We always install deer whistles under the mirrors of our cars. They act like dog whistles and the deer always raise their heads and stare at us as we passed them by. Thus, not only do we get stared at by people trying to figure out what car we are driving but now the deer do the same thing..... LOL!
Where do you buy these things?

We had a coyote come out from the center divide in the dark. It was instant, the car did not throw any warnings or brake, but honestly we didn't even have time to brake either before he darted across and ended up hitting him with the passenger front corner of the car. He was so fast, he ALMOST made it. The deer in the Nor Cal mountains are even quicker to pop out than the coyote (I grew up in those mountains-Plumas County). Hopefully you stay "deer contact" free and enjoy your car!!
I recently had the experience of hitting a deer in a rain downburst. The deer cross the road from my left between oncoming traffic. i did received a warning, but I could not see where it was coming from due to all the traffic on the road just at that moment. All this happen on an open highway in a small mountain range. Now I‘m having problems with insurance for repairs regarding labor charges.

I recently had the experience of hitting a deer in a rain downburst. The deer cross the road from my left between oncoming traffic. i did received a warning, but I could not see where it was coming from due to all the traffic on the road just at that moment. All this happen on an open highway in a small mountain range. Now I‘m having problems with insurance for repairs regarding labor charges.
Sorry that happened! My insurance didn’t dispute the labor charges, but you aren’t the first I’ve heard in that situation so I guess I was lucky! Hopefully it all gets resolved and repaired soon.

Which insurance co? @Bunnylebowski has been having a hell of a time with esurance.

Sorry that happened to you

Yeah who’s your insurance co? This seems to be rapidly emerging pattern of insurance companies refusing to pay labor rates when there’s no alternative option to a certified shop and their rates. Hopefully the litigation in Florida against State Farm will set a precedent to stop this abuse of policy holders.

Back