Almost four months later, I finally got to 1k miles (a review)

mac26mac

Cars
Audi Etron
DE Number
I've had my car since late December. But due to a multitude of factors (wrong tires for the snowy winter, busy schedule, holidays, no reliable preconditioning of the cabin), it took a while to put 1k miles on it. I finally put 1k miles on my car (Dream Edition P). So I figure I can share some insights to contribute to the greater good.

TLDR:
This is a very nice car that makes me appreciate just how special my Etron is to me. I'm glad I bought my Air. And I hope they improve.

Background.

I own a 2019 ETron Edition 1. I took delivery in May, 2019, IIRC. It was the first one in my state. I settled on the Etron for two reasons. I am a big Volkswagen Auto Group fan. This was my 19th VAG car. Second, I wanted a car, not a piece of technology. In other words, VAG knows how to build cars (unlike the Tesla Model 3 I had reserved). And the Etron is primarily a car and works just like a car (that's powered by batteries). The Etron just works. It has some software glitches like all modern cars. But ultimately, it works nicely. It has a nice, modern interior. And all the familiar VAG things that I like.

Tech

The Air is a piece of technology that does a very, very good, very believable impression of a car. Its "post-modern" interior is nice and hits a nice balance between car and tablet. The app's inability to connect to the car on demand is utterly frustrating and effectively renders many of its 'cool' features moot for me. (I live in a very cold climate, so not being able to preheat the car in winter influenced my decision to take the Etron 10 times out of 10). If Lucid can fix that, I think they'd have a very good car. (I'm more than happy to pay a monthly fee for it. I do it for my all my other cars).

The Air is probably not a good fit if this is your first electric, IMHO. Many of the eccentricities of driving electric are very pronounced with the Air. And, to effectively drive it (and achieve close to the stated range), you really need to re-learn how to drive. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to most people as their first electric. It just requires a bit of re-training for most people (as do ALL electrics).

Dreamdrive is disappointing and very lackluster. I certainly hope that we can move to a hands-free or at least semi-autonomous like my etron. The distracted driver warning system is awful. It won't let me look at my mirrors without sounding an alarm. I have a hard time trusting the software if it can't tell the difference between me looking at my mirrors.

Range
I have no idea. I only have 1k miles on it. I've only had to charge a handful of times, so I guess that says something. I have only done one acceleration run with launch mode. It was fast. But I'm not really into driving like an asshole on public streets, so I'll save that for a track some time.

Service

Service has been great. I live in a less populated area. I have my tech's cell number. If I have an issue, I just send him a message and he's responsive. I work close to where he lives, so it is easy to meet up. He is kind, likable, and has done a great job so far. That's not sustainable as a company, of course. But I love it and will take advantage of it as long as I can. (My area just got its very first Tesla center a couple of months ago, so I hope it lasts a while).

Overall

I like my Air. I like being one of the early adopters. I think it's pretty neat. They just really, really need to fix some of the tech issues. Lucid has been very receptive and willing to listen to what I have to say. I had a great buying experience and my advisor was very responsive. Customer care has been great. Not sure if this level of service is scalable. But at least for us early adopters, it has been great to receive personalized service.

I've had my car since late December. But due to a multitude of factors (wrong tires for the snowy winter, busy schedule, holidays, no reliable preconditioning of the cabin), it took a while to put 1k miles on it. I finally put 1k miles on my car (Dream Edition P). So I figure I can share some insights to contribute to the greater good.

TLDR:
This is a very nice car that makes me appreciate just how special my Etron is to me. I'm glad I bought my Air. And I hope they improve.

Background.
I own a 2019 ETron Edition 1. I took delivery in May, 2019, IIRC. It was the first one in my state. I settled on the Etron for two reasons. I am a big Volkswagen Auto Group fan. This was my 19th VAG car. Second, I wanted a car, not a piece of technology. In other words, VAG knows how to build cars (unlike the Tesla Model 3 I had reserved). And the Etron is primarily a car and works just like a car (that's powered by batteries). The Etron just works. It has some software glitches like all modern cars. But ultimately, it works nicely. It has a nice, modern interior. And all the familiar VAG things that I like.

Tech
The Air is a piece of technology that does a very, very good, very believable impression of a car. Its "post-modern" interior is nice and hits a nice balance between car and tablet. The app's inability to connect to the car on demand is utterly frustrating and effectively renders many of its 'cool' features moot for me. (I live in a very cold climate, so not being able to preheat the car in winter influenced my decision to take the Etron 10 times out of 10). If Lucid can fix that, I think they'd have a very good car. (I'm more than happy to pay a monthly fee for it. I do it for my all my other cars).

The Air is probably not a good fit if this is your first electric, IMHO. Many of the eccentricities of driving electric are very pronounced with the Air. And, to effectively drive it (and achieve close to the stated range), you really need to re-learn how to drive. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to most people as their first electric. It just requires a bit of re-training for most people (as do ALL electrics).

Dreamdrive is disappointing and very lackluster. I certainly hope that we can move to a hands-free or at least semi-autonomous like my etron. The distracted driver warning system is awful. It won't let me look at my mirrors without sounding an alarm. I have a hard time trusting the software if it can't tell the difference between me looking at my mirrors.

Range
I have no idea. I only have 1k miles on it. I've only had to charge a handful of times, so I guess that says something. I have only done one acceleration run with launch mode. It was fast. But I'm not really into driving like an asshole on public streets, so I'll save that for a track some time.

Service
Service has been great. I live in a less populated area. I have my tech's cell number. If I have an issue, I just send him a message and he's responsive. I work close to where he lives, so it is easy to meet up. He is kind, likable, and has done a great job so far. That's not sustainable as a company, of course. But I love it and will take advantage of it as long as I can. (My area just got its very first Tesla center a couple of months ago, so I hope it lasts a while).

Overall
I like my Air. I like being one of the early adopters. I think it's pretty neat. They just really, really need to fix some of the tech issues. Lucid has been very receptive and willing to listen to what I have to say. I had a great buying experience and my advisor was very responsive. Customer care has been great. Not sure if this level of service is scalable. But at least for us early adopters, it has been great to receive personalized service.
Great feedback, the app connecting to your car is entirely reliant on how good the cell service is. And we all know how long it takes the Air to wake up, but otherwise I've not had any issues to precondition the cabin temp.

Great feedback, the app connecting to your car is entirely reliant on how good the cell service is. And we all know how long it takes the Air to wake up, but otherwise I've not had any issues to precondition the cabin temp.

Same. Zero issues connecting to the car from the app.

Agreed on how it makes you relearn how to drive, at least for the high regen setting. Getting back in my Mazda is… jarring now haha.

Disagreed on DD; at least adaptive cruise control has been *spectacular* for me. Like, genuinely better than I expected.

I also haven’t had any issues with false alerts from distracted driver, etc, even when looking at mirrors; but I know a few other folks on the forum have complained about this so I might just be lucky.

The one DD feature I’m not in love with is lane departure warning as I find it too aggressive. Everything else has been great.

Great review! Thank you!

So… I knew full dreamdrive pro was not available before my car even shipped so my expectations were set

I have loved the adaptive cruise control - though still learning the art of coming off ACC onto manual control - I tend to still jerk the passengers 30% of the time

The distracted driver was an issue for me the day I picked up my car. I registered my face without glasses/sunglasses, and then proceeded to drive 30miles with very good sunglasses on. Oh boy that got tiring.

Since then, changing out my sunglasses I want to say I have been notified 3-5 times in 1000miles.
but that first day was 3-5 times a minute.

So… I knew full dreamdrive pro was not available before my car even shipped so my expectations were set

I have loved the adaptive cruise control - though still learning the art of coming off ACC onto manual control - I tend to still jerk the passengers 30% of the time

The distracted driver was an issue for me the day I picked up my car. I registered my face without glasses/sunglasses, and then proceeded to drive 30miles with very good sunglasses on. Oh boy that got tiring.

Since then, changing out my sunglasses I want to say I have been notified 3-5 times in 1000miles.
but that first day was 3-5 times a minute.
Yea...don't drive with a different look than what you registered on facial rec

Really, does just putting on sunglasses throws it for a loop? That is a major problem. Can you turn distracted driver off? I would say I have sunglasses on around 75% of the time. Is it a specific type of sunglasses?

Last edited:
Really, does just putting on sunglasses throw it for a loop? That is a major problem. Can you turn distracted driver off? I would say I have sunglasses on around 75% of the time. Is it a specific type of sunglasses?
Mine was warning me about every 30 seconds. After reading this post, it dawned on me that it might be the sunglasses. It is very easy to turn off, and I have not tried it yet sans-shades.

Mine was warning me about every 30 seconds. After reading this post, it dawned on me that it might be the sunglasses. It is very easy to turn off, and I have not tried it yet sans-shades.
I turned it off since it goes off every time I drive into the sun. Mine acts the same with and without sun glasses on.

Well, as long as I can turn it off.:):)

I mean, I don't know how the facial rec works or how sensitive the camera is or what it looks for, but there's a reason people use sunglasses to alter their appearance...

In all seriousness, I wonder if it has something to do with skin color? (It's my understanding that some facial recognition software has a harder time with those of us with darker skin).

I tend to think that it tracks the eyes. Simple experiment is to just look left or right for a while without moving your head and see if it warns you. I don't have an issue with mine because when it warns me I know I've been looking away, feels like I got caught being bad.

Like in grade school being sent to the Principals office!

You can set two looks for facial recognition; I have set one with my polarized sunglasses and one without, and it’s been fine.

And yes, you can turn off the warning.

Thank you for the summary of your experience through 1K miles. Regarding preheating the car, and assuming the app / functionality works as intended... Can you set a preheat schedule so the car preheats automatically the same time each day? If yes, can you schedule it for just weekdays? And/or Sat & Sun? Thank you.

Thank you for the summary of your experience through 1K miles. Regarding preheating the car, and assuming the app / functionality works as intended... Can you set a preheat schedule so the car preheats automatically the same time each day? If yes, can you schedule it for just weekdays? And/or Sat & Sun? Thank you.
Not right now, unless you can somehow do it through smart device integration.

Might be possible using Google Home setting up a routine.

For example,

At 6am every day routine triggers and I'd have it do something like "Hey Google, ask Lucid Motors to set climate to 70 degrees"

I bet @borski would have a better idea on how to do this

Not right now, unless you can somehow do it through smart device integration.

Might be possible using Google Home setting up a routine.

For example,

At 6am every day routine triggers and I'd have it do something like "Hey Google, ask Lucid Motors to set climate to 70 degrees"

I bet @borski would have a better idea on how to do this

I bet you could set the temperature with just an Alexa routine, but I don’t know if the car would need to be awake…

I bet you could set the temperature with just an Alexa routine, but I don’t know if the car would need to be awake…
Do you know if you can wake the car by pinging it with a routine or command and then setting up the cabin command after that? If so...how?...

Do you know if you can wake the car by pinging it with a routine or command and then setting up the cabin command after that? If so...how?...

I don’t know yet, and haven’t reversed the API… yet. :)

Will play!

TLDR:

Background.

Tech

Range

Service

Overall
Really helpful feedback...I'm far down the queue for a Touring and continues to flirt with eTron and eTron GT. I've had may Audis and remain a big fam

Back