Airplane Prop Sound at 50 mph

Shuasha

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT
I noticed this once I got my car back from the SC and assumed it was just new tires or something causing it. Whenever I go over 48 or so mph, I get a very slight vibration and sound that's similar to propeller driven airplane in the distance. It almost seems like it goes up and down in pitch with speed, but I can't tell if it's the motor, the tires, or something fluttering in the wind.

Has anybody else had this? I don't want to get a service person out if it's something simple I can just fix.

I wonder if it's the active grill shutters that engage at a certain speed? Otherwise I have no idea.. Never heard this.

I noticed this once I got my car back from the SC and assumed it was just new tires or something causing it. Whenever I go over 48 or so mph, I get a very slight vibration and sound that's similar to propeller driven airplane in the distance. It almost seems like it goes up and down in pitch with speed, but I can't tell if it's the motor, the tires, or something fluttering in the wind.

Has anybody else had this? I don't want to get a service person out if it's something simple I can just fix.
It may be a seal issue, I actually would text service and try to get an appointment. Mine will make a faint buzzing noise that sounds like what you describe if it’s over 72mph and really cold out like 20 degrees. Since it’s a rare occurrence for me only under very specific conditions I’m going to leave it alone cuz I just don’t want to be without the car for weeks waiting for a windshield if it is something like that. But yours sounds more significant given it happens at much lower speeds and probably less cold temperatures?

I wonder if it's the active grill shutters that engage at a certain speed? Otherwise I have no idea.. Never heard this.
Cool, I didn’t know the car had that! Is it in the manual?

Update on this: I had the car at the service center for several issues, this being one. They say they couldn't recreate the problem and to bring it by and show them the sound in person when I'm near the Goose Island SC. I have no plans to be down there for a while, so I'm going to try some things every so often when I get annoyed enough with it.

Yesterday I attached a GoPro to the front of the car to look at the shutters to see if they were making the sound, and to at least get it recorded. In the vid, I start off below where it makes the sound, stay up where it makes it for 10 secs, then slow down.

It didn't seem to be the passenger side shutters, but while I was down there I noticed the metal trim piece that goes around the lip at the bottom of the facia was kind of loose. So I grabbed some gaffers tape, taped it up, and took a test drive. No luck.

Next, I just started poking around different things in the front to see if something is loose. I noticed that the trim inside the driver's side headlight air channel was loose.

So I taped that up and went on a quick drive, no luck there either.

Speaking of the headlight air channels, I noticed that the driver's side has this rubber block in place and it's not there on the passenger side. Can anybody else please look to see if these exist in their cars?
ThingInChannel.jpg

I'm not sure what to test next, maybe tape cardboard over the intakes for both of the sets of slats in the front to at least try to localize the problem. The slats themselves kind of rattle around in their connection points on the sides and I could see the slats themselves potentially vibrate with the air pressure. I can feel the vibration in the accelerator when it's happening, especially at higher speeds so it would need to be something somewhat big.

To circle back on this, I found the culprit by taking my electric leaf blowing and blowing around the front of the car. The problem is the rubber membrane you see in the headlight air channels when you open the frunk. The driver's side is catching air in such a way that it makes the sound, kind of like a whoopie cushion. I'm curious if that rubber block in the pic above has something to do with this. Putting it in to support.

To circle back on this, I found the culprit by taking my electric leaf blowing and blowing around the front of the car. The problem is the rubber membrane you see in the headlight air channels when you open the frunk. The driver's side is catching air in such a way that it makes the sound, kind of like a whoopie cushion. I'm curious if that rubber block in the pic above has something to do with this. Putting it in to support.
The rubber block actually looks like a shipping piece that got left in the car.

The rubber block actually looks like a shipping piece that got left in the car.
My service guy said to leave it and they'll remove it, something about it being part of the light bar. Hopefully it's something that can be done remotely. IIRC, a light bar replacement requires taking the whole front off which requires recalibrating everything at a SC.

Lucid has released a technical service bulletin to address an emanating sound like the one described here. Please contact your service center if you are experiencing this or a similar issue.
Yeah, they're coming out next week, TSB-E0123-001-01. I was told they're going to install some sort of blocks inside the channels which seems odd. I would love to be able to read the TSB.

Yeah, they're coming out next week, TSB-E0123-001-01. I was told they're going to install some sort of blocks inside the channels which seems odd. I would love to be able to read the TSB.
? The tsb as per Riv Beach is for a half shaft left front clicking noise can you verify .......thanks

? The tsb as per Riv Beach is for a half shaft left front clicking noise can you verify .......thanks
That makes no sense since I can recreate this sound with a parked car and a leaf blower... :)

Maybe that was someone else's original complaint and it ended up being the air channel instead.

That makes no sense since I can recreate this sound with a parked car and a leaf blower... :)

Maybe that was someone else's original complaint and it ended up being the air channel instead.

I'm a doubting whether or not the noise is there I'll have the same noise for TSD number which is incorrect I wonder if you have the proper TSB number for the proper repair

Good question, that's the number that was on the sheet they sent me to sign off on the repairs. I guess that doesn't mean it's right, it seems pretty generic actually. 123-01-01? Sounds like a default or something.

Huh that's pretty interesting maybe if you have an opportunity to call your sa and a specifically what they did I would love to get it done to my car I can tell you the noise is bad..... But I've double checked that number is for the front half shaft clicking noise.....

Huh that's pretty interesting maybe if you have an opportunity to call your sa and a specifically what they did I would love to get it done to my car I can tell you the noise is bad..... But I've double checked that number is for the front half shaft clicking noise.....
They're coming out to do the work on Friday so I can ask and document what they're doing.

That's super be a great help I thank you very much at that time you can then verify the service document.... And possibly if you can take a few photographs if you have the time this way I could pass it on to our service center if they're not aware of it and see if it fixes my problem

It took them a whole 5 mins to fix it. All the did is glue small rubber rectangles in place to keep the flaps from vibrating. I haven't driven the car yet, but the leaf blower test was successful.
He also said the rubber block that's in the vent near the headlight (pictured in an earlier post) is to adjust the fitment of one of the parts around there.

Vibration Repair.jpg

It took them a whole 5 mins to fix it. All the did is glue small rubber rectangles in place to keep the flaps from vibrating. I haven't driven the car yet, but the leaf blower test was successful.
He also said the rubber block that's in the vent near the headlight (pictured in an earlier post) is to adjust the fitment of one of the parts around there.

View attachment 10594
My service guy just asked me about this. He was wondering if I had any "propeller" type noises coming from the front hood scoops. I told him I hadn't noticed anything. But he mentioned that they are now adding these little bumpers to prevent the issue. Don't know whether it's a service they will likely perform on any car that comes in moving forward? Or just for those who complain of the issue. Seems like a simple enough thing to just do for every car that comes in, regardless.

Back