Advice needed for solar roof installation

Tesla2.0

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
I called Costco past weekend to schedule appointment for solar roof installation. They use SunRun company. Are they reputable? Is Tesla solar roof reputable? I am conflicted if I’m getting charged right if I signed this contract.

B7B7DA72-FF24-4D9D-BAD4-9B20A3C09F75.jpeg

I know there are regional pricing difference. What I got quoted was for 20.5kW for 23,973kWh annual estimate + 1 battery. Then I was told by my brother to check Tesla and I got this just by putting parameters on Tesla website.

7AFDF2A0-8820-4A27-BFC3-1CAB4493FE49.png

It seems Tesla as 3.5kW and 1 more battery wall for merely 2k more. Is Tesla giving lower grade equipment than Costco or am I looking at excessive installation cost? Any one with EC experience to comment is welcome!

Tesla bought SolarCity from his cousins (basically to rescue them from bankruptcy) and turned it into Tesla Energy. Tesla has their own plant manufacturing panels and other components so they are not paying middleman costs for their equipment. Their panels are pretty industry standard in terms of performance. In terms of installation and after install support, I wouldn't use Tesla. Too many horror stories like @GEWC where Tesla screwed up the install. I would get a couple of quotes from local companies that are highly rated for service. And the brother that told you to get a quote from Tesla is the same one that told you to buy a car from Tesla right?

There isn't enough information to evaluate one against the other. Is one using string/central inverter versus microinverters? If I was putting in solar today, I would opt for the more expensive microinverters over the string inverter I have and pay the higher upfront cost.

I called Costco past weekend to schedule appointment for solar roof installation. They use SunRun company. Are they reputable? Is Tesla solar roof reputable? I am conflicted if I’m getting charged right if I signed this contract.

View attachment 3518

I know there are regional pricing difference. What I got quoted was for 20.5kW for 23,973kWh annual estimate + 1 battery. Then I was told by my brother to check Tesla and I got this just by putting parameters on Tesla website.

View attachment 3519

It seems Tesla as 3.5kW and 1 more battery wall for merely 2k more. Is Tesla giving lower grade equipment than Costco or am I looking at excessive installation cost? Any one with EC experience to comment is welcome!
Holy crap, that's expensive!

That is an ENORMOUS system! How did you determine you wanted a system that sizable. (That is roughly 4-5x the "typical" system). Mind you, if you are in a Villa in Arizona and want to be totally off the grid, I suppose this is ballpark to what you want. For my place (1500 sq ft town home) our normal usage + 7,500 mile (assumes 50% charging at home) Lucid a 4 kW system should do.

The power walls are only 10kwh each right?

Lucid is a bargain! 11 powerwalls!

Their panels are pretty industry standard in terms of performance. In terms of installation and after install support, I wouldn't use Tesla. Too many horror stories like @GEWC where Tesla screwed up the install. I would get a couple of quotes from local companies that are highly rated for service. And the brother that told you to get a quote from Tesla is the same one that told you to buy a car from Tesla right?

There isn't enough information to evaluate one against the other. Is one using string/central inverter versus microinverters? If I was putting in solar today, I would opt for the more expensive microinverters over the string inverter I have and pay the higher upfront cost.
Yes, it’s my brother who is looking out for me as Tesla Evangelist. 🧐

You are right not not enough information. I have no information about inverter mark up, but is look into it.
Sun Run is a reputable national company. That's who our solar was installed through about 10 years ago. I can't speak to their solar roofs though.
I researched them, the quote guy is dispatched from SF HQ now living around my neighborhood. According to them, they are national’s largest. I thought that title belong to Tesla Solar.
That is an ENORMOUS system! How did you determine you wanted a system that sizable. (That is roughly 4-5x the "typical" system). Mind you, if you are in a Villa in Arizona and want to be totally off the grid, I suppose this is ballpark to what you want. For my place (1500 sq ft town home) our normal usage + 7,500 mile (assumes 50% charging at home) Lucid a 4 kW system should do.
Lucid has a solar system? Does Lucid Motors own them????
I got essentially the same quotes for the Powerwall.
Yes, $11,500 for 1 PowerWall vs $11,500 TeslaWall.

Yes, I have Texas size home. And this is based on $300/monthly consumption. I want enough to sell back to grid and/or transition to more EV down the road. Lucid Air converted me as EV and renewable is way to go.
The power walls are only 10kwh each right?

Lucid is a bargain! 11 powerwalls!
Tesla Wall is 12.2 kW, Costco is 13.5 kW
They are same $11,500 per wall. Tesla regressively charge less if multiple walls are ordered.

Lucid AGT = 112 kW, so Lucid AGT = 9.1 TeslaWall = 8.3 PowerWall by Costco.

Along with 900V architecture, this makes Lucid a very monster luxury power storage.

I think Tesla2.0 wants to fully charge his GT in under 90 seconds! 😇
Holy crap, that's expensive!
I’ve learned Federal tax credit is 26% this year and going to 22% next year. Inflation isn’t slow down any time soon, record breaking high temperature globally and as people transition to EVs with so many legacy automakers coming out EVs, the load demand on the power grid will increase yearly and we may be at earlier part of exponential power demand curve. (My own assumption)

Yes, I have Texas size home. And this is based on $300/monthly consumption. I want enough to sell back to grid and/or transition to more EV down the road. Lucid Air converted me as EV and renewable is way to go.

Tesla Wall is 12.2 kW, Costco is 13.5 kW
They are same $11,500 per wall. Tesla regressively charge less if multiple walls are ordered.

Lucid AGT = 112 kW, so Lucid AGT = 9.1 TeslaWall = 8.3 PowerWall by Costco.

Along with 900V architecture, this makes Lucid a very monster luxury power storage.

I’ve learned Federal tax credit is 26% this year and going to 22% next year. Inflation isn’t slow down any time soon, record breaking high temperature globally and as people transition to EVs with so many legacy automakers coming out EVs, the load demand on the power grid will increase yearly and we may be at earlier part of exponential power demand curve. (My own assumption)
Yes it will and I would think it's more critical in TX seeing that most of the state (ERCOT) is not connected to a regional grid.

I have 12.4 kW of solar panels. House has 4 HVACS. I have 2 Powerwalls, but wish I had 3. The issue isn’t PowerWall power storage, but power output. PW can output 5kW continuously, 6.5 kW for a short bust. Doesn’t take much to draw 5 kW. An electric oven is about 4kW. 3 ton HVAC is around 3 kW. Coffee Maker 1.5 kW. You will be price raped if you try to add another PW in the future. OBTW, in a power failure, your panels will only charge the PW. Once charged, the PW shuts down the panels. With 1 PW, you will be restricted to just 5kW of power for your house.

Yes it will and I would think it's more critical in TX seeing that most of the state (ERCOT) is not connected to a regional grid.
ERCOT manages 75% of Texas and all major Texas cities.

I have 12.4 kW of solar panels. House has 4 HVACS. I have 2 Powerwalls, but wish I had 3. The issue isn’t PowerWall power storage, but power output. PW can output 5kW continuously, 6.5 kW for a short bust. Doesn’t take much to draw 5 kW. An electric oven is about 4kW. 3 ton HVAC is around 3 kW. Coffee Maker 1.5 kW. You will be price raped if you try to add another PW in the future. OBTW, in a power failure, your panels will only charge the PW. Once charged, the PW shuts down the panels. With 1 PW, you will be restricted to just 5kW of power for your house.
Yes, which I understand that. I want to 2 PowerWall. He was trying to sell me without PowerWall. He said, I can just get it from grid at night in off-peak hours rate and sell excessive power at peak-power rate. I told him but I need it for rain storm to keep my house and internet uninterrupted. He reluctantly put 1 PowerWall in but told me cannot put 2 PW bc supply chain bottle issue I have to add it later; and it takes long time for them to get more PW. I wasn’t sure if he was BS or he was afraid to lose me as customer if I get shocked by too much equipment cost.

Yes, which I understand that. I want to 2 PowerWall. He was trying to sell me without PowerWall. He said, I can just get it from grid at night in off-peak hours rate and sell excessive power at peak-power rate. I told him but I need it for rain storm to keep my house and internet uninterrupted. He reluctantly put 1 PowerWall in but told me cannot put 2 PW bc supply chain bottle issue I have to add it later; and it takes long time for them to get more PW. I wasn’t sure if he was BS or he was afraid to lose me as customer if I get shocked by too much equipment cost.
I was also told about the
same supply chain issue.

I was also told about the
same supply chain issue.
But you were still able to get 2 from start?

Curiously, which part of country? When and how much you paid? I just want to know if the price is fair for me.

But you were still able to get 2 from start?

Curiously, which part of country? When and how much you paid? I just want to know if the price is fair for me.
No, I haven’t bought them yet. Only got a quote and sitting on it. I’m in Scottsdale. 30k for 3, after all the rebates.

No, I haven’t bought them yet. Only got a quote and sitting on it. I’m in Scottsdale. 30k for 3, after all the rebates.
You mean the Federal 26% tax credit rebate?

Back