5 day road trip

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
The Lucid’s range makes it pretty easy to road trip. It is especially easy when there are Level 3 options. I spent a little time looking at plug share and EA apps before leaving the house, but there were enough options that I felt comfortable without a specific charging plan for this trip. We had three people, 3 carry on bags, 3 backpack/briefcase, 3 race gear bags, 3 helmets, and one cooler. Between the trunk and the frunk we were able to stow everything.

Day 1
Charged to 100% the night before at home.
After a few errands started out at 95%
Greenville to Camden 130 miles
After some additional driving to dinner at hotel at 55%.

Hotel had 4 Tesla destination chargers. I used an adapter and charged overnight to 100%. 9.6kW Free charging. This is my 4th time charging at a Tesla station where there wasn’t a close alternative.

Day 2
Camden to CMP to Charlotte 140 miles
This segment had some acceleration runs at CMP, so while only 140 miles we got to Charlotte pretty low. We were able to park in a garage downtown with free charging. The garage had 10 spots or so with only 2 of them being J1772 the rest being Tesla. The only vehicle there was a Tesla. $28 for overnight parking, free charging. Charged overnight to 100%. 9kW

Day 3
Charlotte to Semora NC 160 miles
Stopped at the EA station in Greensboro after only 90 miles and added 32kW in 30 minutes while we picked up a few items in Walmart. 98%. Battery was pre conditioned and averaged 64kW.
Arrived at our friends house in NC with 77%.

Plugged into the 120 volt 0.8kW to joke how many nights we would need to stay to get to 100%. 54 hours estimate to go 77-100.
Unless you are staying somewhere for days 120 volt charging is not much of a safety blanket.

Day 4
Semora to Virginia International Raceway to Greensboro 70 miles
Arrived at VIR at 74% state of charge. I was going to top off, but all the 14-50 plugs in the paddock were in use so we didn’t worry about it as the days final destination was only 60 miles away. After a day of lapping VIR in BMWs we headed to Greensboro.
Got to our hotel at 47%. No charger at hotel. 47% was right on the edge to get home the next day, but Greensboro has the EA station we had stopped at before so we planned a stop for the next morning.

Day 5
Greensboro to Greenville 160 miles
Left hotel at 47%. Went to the EA station and plugged into a 350kW charger. No preconditioning and the car never pulled over 120kW. We added 41kW in the 25 minutes it took us to walk to Starbucks and get coffee. Average of 98kW. Crossing a Walmart and Lowe’s parking lot to get there. Both parking lots were not that pedestrian friendly. Nice sunny day. No canopy and nothing close these stations leave a lot of room for improvement. Headed for Greenville with 81%. Got home at 25%.
On the road I set my charge limit to 100. I like to have the most flexibility possible in case of something unexpected. This trip there was nothing unexpected so 80% limit would have worked out fine.

Summary

We had no range anxiety or charging worries on this trip. I do wonder with the adoption rate growing, in the future will these hotel chargers be full up if you arrive late? For now my success rate at hotels with chargers having an open spot has been high (with the Tesla adapter). I imagine we will see more chargers at the big chains in the future, but less free charging.

660 miles. About 315kWh of electricity at no charge.
One parking fee of $28. Self parking at the hotel wold have been $24.
Total fuel cost for the trip $4.
Only 900 more trips like this and the Air will pay for itself.
I continue to get ~2.95 miles kWh which translates in the DE to 3.48 miles per 1% state of charge.
My experience so far is the 350kW chargers are frequently down, and rarely faster than the 150s that will deliver up to 175.
Both EA stops the first charger we plugged into worked and the car starting charging in less than 1 minute.
9137 miles so far.

Attachments

• 32CFB4C9-1380-4F29-9068-665B459908BA.jpeg
    32CFB4C9-1380-4F29-9068-665B459908BA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 199
  • 7586FDB5-2485-4213-9865-86BB99984FAC.jpeg
    7586FDB5-2485-4213-9865-86BB99984FAC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 208
  • C9A711B7-8F27-4CBB-BDA8-140A6DB5408E.jpeg
    C9A711B7-8F27-4CBB-BDA8-140A6DB5408E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
Which Telsa adapter are you using?

The Lucid’s range makes it pretty easy to road trip. It is especially easy when there are Level 3 options. I spent a little time looking at plug share and EA apps before leaving the house, but there were enough options that I felt comfortable without a specific charging plan for this trip. We had three people, 3 carry on bags, 3 backpack/briefcase, 3 race gear bags, 3 helmets, and one cooler. Between the trunk and the frunk we were able to stow everything.

Day 1

Hotel had 4 Tesla destination chargers. I used an adapter and charged overnight to 100%. 9.6kW Free charging. This is my 4th time charging at a Tesla station where there wasn’t a close alternative.

Day 2
This segment had some acceleration runs at CMP, so while only 140 miles we got to Charlotte pretty low. We were able to park in a garage downtown with free charging. The garage had 10 spots or so with only 2 of them being J1772 the rest being Tesla. The only vehicle there was a Tesla. $28 for overnight parking, free charging. Charged overnight to 100%. 9kW

Day 3
Stopped at the EA station in Greensboro after only 90 miles and added 32kW in 30 minutes while we picked up a few items in Walmart. 98%. Battery was pre conditioned and averaged 64kW.

Plugged into the 120 volt 0.8kW to joke how many nights we would need to stay to get to 100%. 54 hours estimate to go 77-100.
Unless you are staying somewhere for days 120 volt charging is not much of a safety blanket.

Day 4
Arrived at VIR at 74% state of charge. I was going to top off, but all the 14-50 plugs in the paddock were in use so we didn’t worry about it as the days final destination was only 60 miles away. After a day of lapping VIR in BMWs we headed to Greensboro.
Got to our hotel at 47%. No charger at hotel. 47% was right on the edge to get home the next day, but Greensboro has the EA station we had stopped at before so we planned a stop for the next morning.

Day 5
Left hotel at 47%. Went to the EA station and plugged into a 350kW charger. No preconditioning and the car never pulled over 120kW. We added 41kW in the 25 minutes it took us to walk to Starbucks and get coffee. Average of 98kW. Crossing a Walmart and Lowe’s parking lot to get there. Both parking lots were not that pedestrian friendly. Nice sunny day. No canopy and nothing close these stations leave a lot of room for improvement. Headed for Greenville with 81%. Got home at 25%.
On the road I set my charge limit to 100. I like to have the most flexibility possible in case of something unexpected. This trip there was nothing unexpected so 80% limit would have worked out fine.

Summary

We had no range anxiety or charging worries on this trip. I do wonder with the adoption rate growing, in the future will these hotel chargers be full up if you arrive late? For now my success rate at hotels with chargers having an open spot has been high (with the Tesla adapter). I imagine we will see more chargers at the big chains in the future, but less free charging.

I continue to get ~2.95 miles kWh which translates in the DE to 3.48 miles per 1% state of charge.
My experience so far is the 350kW chargers are frequently down, and rarely faster than the 150s that will deliver up to 175.
Both EA stops the first charger we plugged into worked and the car starting charging in less than 1 minute.
9137 miles so far.

Not really a reply, but a question: where does one find a Tesla adapter and do you need to do anything at the Tesla charger to utilize it?

I use it to charge at a friend's house while my garage completes construction. It full charged overnight no problem. His is 50amp

Not really a reply, but a question: where does one find a Tesla adapter and do you need to do anything at the Tesla charger to utilize it?
No. Just the adapter. This is for level 2 destination chargers only.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Summary

9137 miles so far.
I live near charlotte so it was cool to see you going places I know. Question, which Tesla tap did you get? Do I need the 80 amp version to get the fastest charge when at the right charging station?

I live near charlotte so it was cool to see you going places I know. Question, which Tesla tap did you get? Do I need the 80 amp version to get the fastest charge when at the right charging station?
Bigger is no issue, so you can use an 80 on a 40amp charger. But if you use a 40a at an 80a it will only give you 40a, or may not work at all, I’m not sure.

That said, most are 40-60amp, so just up to you re: how safe you want to be.

I am not a Tesla destination charger expert by any means. My understanding is they are mostly 208/240 v on 60amp breakers. Delivering a little over 9kW or 11kW respectively. (48 amps)
For either of those the 60 amp is fine.

If you plug into a 80amp outlet the Wunderbox can pull 19.2kW and if you have an adapter smaller than 80amps it could overheat. That’s why some people advise against using these adapters.

I have had both 9kW and 11kW from a Tesla plug. I have not experienced anything higher.

If I plugged in with the 60amp adapter and the car started pulling 19kW I would immediately stop charging.

The 80amp was on back order when I bought the 60amp or I would have bought the 80 amp.

With the 80amp you should be covered.

Not affiliated with or recommending any products.

Thank you so much for sharing your journey and pics!

Back