426 Mile Great Lakes Road Trip Report

Daniel2022AT

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
I travled to/from Milwaukee to Detroit, 426 miles each way, going out Friday and returned Sunday. My goal was to hypermile but to do so driving at reasonable speeds. Vehicle is a Touring, 1,200 miles at the beginning of the trip.

My philosophy was to travel at the speed limit or no more than +2 mph above. Much of the travel around Chicagoland was only 60-62 mph due to traffic and generally I was cruising at 72-73 mph on I-94 for the majority of the trip. I traveled in the right lane and utilized ACC. Most trucks travel at about 68, so the ACC gently moderated my speed coming up to a semi. When the left lane was very clear, I would change lanes and the ACC would gently bring the speed back up to 72-73 for a smooth passing.

Using this approach, I achieved 4.5 mi/KWh for the journey. See photo.

1684770498596.jpeg

I charged once in each direction. The EA charges worked quite well, starting at about 160 KW and dropping down to about 88 KW when nearing the 85% SOC set limit. The EA stations had about 5-6 units at each, once with 2 other vehicles charging, and once I was alone. Overall I averaged about 100 KW during the charges. I think that is reasonable performance. Connecting to EA was seamless. I preconditioned once and I did not notice any significant difference by doing so.

1684770750419.jpeg

The Nav system needs some work. The charge stops picked for me were, strangely, not EA. When I slid the menu button to limit it to EA only, the Nav system found none. On the return trip, the Nav system routed me to a Rivian exclsuive charging station in western Michgan ("Rivian Adventure Network"). I did my homework previously using the EA app and also PlugShare so I already knew where I was headed.

Interesting that for the return trip, I was heading directly into gusty headwinds and the efficiency dropped to 4.1 mi/KWh. About a 10% reduction but still more than adequate to enjoy an anxiety free trip.

Back