3 months 2100 miles

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
I had a couple weeks away from the car and returned to build 1.1.91. My concerns are about the same. My concerns are still how annoying (to me) some basic functionality is.
Unlock/Lock, Homelink, Park distance Cameras. Never had a complaint with these systems in any other car.
For me the Air is only a few fixes from being a truly great car. Frustrating that my complaints are with systems that are no brainers in even a 25K vehicle from Mitsubishi.

My short wish list first, with more details and a comparison to a recent rental below.

1. Unlock/Lock Is still so inconsistant with no customization
  • Customization of Unlock/Lock is standard for this segment. Really any segment today.
  • Proximity lock - on/off
  • Unlock - Driver door/all doors
  • A way to turn off the car (Press park a second time)
  • Comfort access (seat moves back for exit) This helps many drivers with exit and helps if drivers of significant height differences share the car.
I think those 4 items would be enough, provided every time the owner presses a door handle with key fob in their possession the car must unlock/lock immediately. Every time. This is so basic it is almost inconceivable that it is an issue.

2. Homelink can take 5 screen presses to shut one door
  • Add bottom navigation and a side panel with Homelink buttons to the pilot panel Park/Camera screen
This would make those buttons readily available at the right time for many users and only one button press away on the larger pilot panel in a worst case.

3. Park distance / cameras I find to be the worst of any car I have ever driven
  • This system needs a significant review and redesign using any of the Legacy car manufacturers as a benchmark. My reasons below.
4. Music / Nav / Phone are fixed with a solid Carplay / Android Auto implementation

The right cockpit panel is not easy to use while driving. Items are layers deep, not intuitive. The Pilot Panel UI/UX is far superior to anything on the right cockpit panel.
The Pilot Panel only has Music, Nav, Phone as a pull down from the Cockpit panel.

I compare the Air to my rental a $25K Mitsubishi Outlander with a CVT. It could do 0-60 in the 1/2 mile and 0-80 going downhill.

After loading my luggage and inspecting the car.

Upon getting in the vehicle, I adjusted the seat. Got a lightning cable and my sunglasses out of my briefcase. Plugged in the iPhone. Adjusted the mirrors, mirror controls on the door same as 90+% of cars on the road. Looked at the controls, lights on the left, wipers on the right, AC on Auto. Started the Car, Audio was on Sirius, which was active, great, confirm use of carplay on the car screen, confirm on the iPhone. Press go on the destination already entered on my phone. Shift in to reverse, park distance/camera easy to use and understand. Back out. Drive off.
Less the loading of luggage and inspection, all of this was done in less time than it takes the Air to Boot and play the radio.

Who even knew Mitsubishi was still selling cars in the US?

Outlander Unlock/Lock
Upon approach, courtesy lighting came on, one touch to the handle unlocked driver door, a second touch would unlock the rest of the doors. Worked exactly the same, every time, first try every time. Upon exiting the vehicle a single touch to the door handle locked all doors. Worked exactly the same, every time, first try every time.

Outlander Park distance cameras Smooth image, clean clear graphic, easy to use

Outlander Entertainment system. Fast Boot time. Sirrius, Carplay, radio worked every time, easy to change sources, easy to scan FM.

Outlander Homelink (Did not use)

Outlander Bluetooth (Carplay used)

Outlander Nav (Carplay used)
Air
Unlock

Upon approaching the car, the car may unlock at any distance between about 20 feet and 0 feet, or it may unlock after standing next to the car for a few seconds, or it may require a press of the handle to unlock, or it might require use of the key fob button unlock. Having to get out the key fob to enter only reminds you that the system did not work properly and that the key fob is not very good either.
Locking
Everything in the car will continue to operate including audio books / podcasts, or radio, HVAC, and all displays even after you are in Park and have opened the door. After you exit the vehicle, the Air will lock and turn off these systems. This will happen almost immediately or after an indeterminate amount of time, when you might be 60 feet or more from the car.

There is no customization, the operator can not turn the car “off”, it always unlocks all doors, no option for driver only, no option to turn off proximity, no comfort access, no lighting options, no lights/sounds options, you can try to lock the car by pressing the door handles, it may or may not have any effect.
Inconsistent and frustrating.

Air Cameras / Park Distance
The cameras have a lag. The lag from reality to the screen inside the car is enough to be nauseating. It’s uncomfortable to watch the screen while moving (somewhat the point of the system) due to what is on the screen not matching the information your inner ear is giving your brain.

The graphics overlays cover the portions of the image you most need to see. The car is not represented on the screen accurately to where it is in the outside world. The audio alerts are annoying vs informative and often go to full tone when you are in fact not that close to anything.

The Park distance camera screen UI doesn’t even match up well with the rest of the UI in the car. Lower navigation panel is not there. The Autopark and Surround view links as well as the “x” and “mute” can be easily lost in the image.

Entertainment system
Boot time is long.
Previously connected Bluetooth devices may or may not autoplay
Navigating this system while driving is near impossible
Is a reminder every time that I would rather be using an app on my phone
Homelink
Leaving
  • Press the “X” top of upper Cockpit panel
  • Press the Profile area of Cockpit panel
  • Press Homelink symbol
  • Press “Door” to close. (May or may not work on first try)
  • Press “Park distance” on Pilot panel
5 operations.

Arriving
If Geo fence works press “Door” button. If it does not work or hides before you can press or the press does not open door, see above.

1-6 operations

Phone via Bluetooth

Connection does not work every time
Use occasionally locks up and requires a reboot to use any media
May or may not auto play source that was playing after call ends

Nav

Slow to find destinations
Short interruptions in cell signal confuse or lock up system
No volume control or voice prompt customization (on/off)

I had a couple weeks away from the car and returned to build 1.1.91. My concerns are about the same. My concerns are still how annoying (to me) some basic functionality is.
Unlock/Lock, Homelink, Park distance Cameras. Never had a complaint with these systems in any other car.
For me the Air is only a few fixes from being a truly great car. Frustrating that my complaints are with systems that are no brainers in even a 25K vehicle from Mitsubishi.

My short wish list first, with more details and a comparison to a recent rental below.

• Customization of Unlock/Lock is standard for this segment. Really any segment today.
  • Comfort access (seat moves back for exit) This helps many drivers with exit and helps if drivers of significant height differences share the car.
I think those 4 items would be enough, provided every time the owner presses a door handle with key fob in their possession the car must unlock/lock immediately. Every time. This is so basic it is almost inconceivable that it is an issue.

• Add bottom navigation and a side panel with Homelink buttons to the pilot panel Park/Camera screen
This would make those buttons readily available at the right time for many users and only one button press away on the larger pilot panel in a worst case.

• This system needs a significant review and redesign using any of the Legacy car manufacturers as a benchmark. My reasons below.
4. Music / Nav / Phone are fixed with a solid Carplay / Android Auto implementation

The right cockpit panel is not easy to use while driving. Items are layers deep, not intuitive. The Pilot Panel UI/UX is far superior to anything on the right cockpit panel.
The Pilot Panel only has Music, Nav, Phone as a pull down from the Cockpit panel.

I compare the Air to my rental a $25K Mitsubishi Outlander with a CVT. It could do 0-60 in the 1/2 mile and 0-80 going downhill.

Upon getting in the vehicle, I adjusted the seat. Got a lightning cable and my sunglasses out of my briefcase. Plugged in the iPhone. Adjusted the mirrors, mirror controls on the door same as 90+% of cars on the road. Looked at the controls, lights on the left, wipers on the right, AC on Auto. Started the Car, Audio was on Sirius, which was active, great, confirm use of carplay on the car screen, confirm on the iPhone. Press go on the destination already entered on my phone. Shift in to reverse, park distance/camera easy to use and understand. Back out. Drive off.
Less the loading of luggage and inspection, all of this was done in less time than it takes the Air to Boot and play the radio.

Outlander Unlock/Lock
Upon approach, courtesy lighting came on, one touch to the handle unlocked driver door, a second touch would unlock the rest of the doors. Worked exactly the same, every time, first try every time. Upon exiting the vehicle a single touch to the door handle locked all doors. Worked exactly the same, every time, first try every time.

Outlander Entertainment system. Fast Boot time. Sirrius, Carplay, radio worked every time, easy to change sources, easy to scan FM.

Air
Unlock

Upon approaching the car, the car may unlock at any distance between about 20 feet and 0 feet, or it may unlock after standing next to the car for a few seconds, or it may require a press of the handle to unlock, or it might require use of the key fob button unlock. Having to get out the key fob to enter only reminds you that the system did not work properly and that the key fob is not very good either.
Locking
Everything in the car will continue to operate including audio books / podcasts, or radio, HVAC, and all displays even after you are in Park and have opened the door. After you exit the vehicle, the Air will lock and turn off these systems. This will happen almost immediately or after an indeterminate amount of time, when you might be 60 feet or more from the car.

There is no customization, the operator can not turn the car “off”, it always unlocks all doors, no option for driver only, no option to turn off proximity, no comfort access, no lighting options, no lights/sounds options, you can try to lock the car by pressing the door handles, it may or may not have any effect.

The cameras have a lag. The lag from reality to the screen inside the car is enough to be nauseating. It’s uncomfortable to watch the screen while moving (somewhat the point of the system) due to what is on the screen not matching the information your inner ear is giving your brain.

The graphics overlays cover the portions of the image you most need to see. The car is not represented on the screen accurately to where it is in the outside world. The audio alerts are annoying vs informative and often go to full tone when you are in fact not that close to anything.

The Park distance camera screen UI doesn’t even match up well with the rest of the UI in the car. Lower navigation panel is not there. The Autopark and Surround view links as well as the “x” and “mute” can be easily lost in the image.

Entertainment system
Boot time is long.
Homelink
Leaving
  • Press Homelink symbol
5 operations.

Arriving
If Geo fence works press “Door” button. If it does not work or hides before you can press or the press does not open door, see above.

1-6 operations

Phone via Bluetooth

Nav

I appreciate your comments in hopes of making it a better vehicle!

Outlander Unlock/Lock

Air
Unlock

Locking

Entertainment system
Boot time is long.
Homelink
Leaving
  • Press Homelink symbol
5 operations.

Arriving

1-6 operations

Phone via Bluetooth

Nav

Thanks @Bill55 for another detailed review. Going to consolidate and copy/paste some of this into the feedback thread!

Outlander Unlock/Lock

Air
Unlock

Locking

Entertainment system
Boot time is long.
Homelink
Leaving
  • Press Homelink symbol
5 operations.

Arriving

1-6 operations

Phone via Bluetooth

Nav

Thanks for enumerating all the same problems I have been having. In addition to that, none of the facial features work for me: Face ID profile selection and distracted driver alerts. Also, the app does not unlock the car when approaching or even when pressing the handle. If I only have my phone handy, I have to select the unlock from the app. Of course, the car is asleep and I have to wait till it wakes up. I usually whip out the key card in this case. If I do manage to get into the car with my phone only, I still have to enter a PIN to drive, since the Face ID profile selection does not work.

Hopefully you have emailed this list to customer care (again). I think If they get this every week or so, they may get this hint higher up. If you don't mind, I would also like to send your list to customer care every week.

Thanks for enumerating all the same problems I have been having. In addition to that, none of the facial features work for me: Face ID profile selection and distracted driver alerts. Also, the app does not unlock the car when approaching or even when pressing the handle. If I only have my phone handy, I have to select the unlock from the app. Of course, the car is asleep and I have to wait till it wakes up. I usually whip out the key card in this case. If I do manage to get into the car with my phone only, I still have to enter a PIN to drive, since the Face ID profile selection does not work.

Hopefully you have emailed this list to customer care (again). I think If they get this every week or so, they may get this hint higher up. If you don't mind, I would also like to send your list to customer care every week.

I am really hoping that Lucid works these problems out. I do want a Lucid but not if they can't get this stuff right.

I update concerns to Lucid after each software release. The Face ID must be working for me. So with the key fob associated to your profile using the key fob for entry you have to enter your PIN every time?

I update concerns to Lucid after each software release. The Face ID must be working for me. So with the key fob associated to your profile using the key fob for entry you have to enter your PIN every time?
No, the keyfob is linked to my profile and does not require a Face ID, so it works correctly.

Outlander Unlock/Lock

Air
Unlock

Locking

Entertainment system
Boot time is long.
Homelink
Leaving
  • Press Homelink symbol
5 operations.

Arriving

1-6 operations

Phone via Bluetooth

Nav

Thanks for nice review, Looks like most of issues are fixable with software upgrade, will it happen or when is another issue though, how is drive and other experience though?

Outlander Unlock/Lock

Air
Unlock

Locking

Entertainment system
Boot time is long.
Homelink
Leaving
  • Press Homelink symbol
5 operations.

Arriving

1-6 operations

Phone via Bluetooth

Nav

I’m quite curious as to how your CS person and yourself interact when addressing all these issues. I have all the issues you’ve noted and have had the car evaluated twice. I’ve been informed that, after allowing for the prolonged “deep sleep” wake-up delays, everything is operating properly, as designed (Bluetooth, radio, profile recognition, profile setup, lock/unlock, etc.). I take the car back and everything is still screwy. All I ask for is transparency — just acknowledge that these things have glitches. My CS people have as little experience as I do with the Lucid and don’t seem very knowledgeable about EV’s in general, as they have never owned a Tesla. I hate to beat up on CS, as I’ve come to recognize the short comings aren’t designed to negate my concerns, but rather they don’t have solutions and their engineers tell them everything is fine with the car.

No, the keyfob is linked to my profile and does not require a Face ID, so it works correctly.
I used iPhone exclusively for entry for first week then deleted and have been using fob ever since. Have been thinking about trying Phone again, but sounds like the same issues persist. Maybe 2.0.

Thanks for nice review, Looks like most of issues are fixable with software upgrade, will it happen or when is another issue though, how is drive and other experience though?
The car is a great drive. The drive train, suspension, brakes, handling, ride. Those teams are the reason the car got car of the year. A couple days with the car it is easy for journalists to ignore things that get aggravating with ownership.

I’m quite curious as to how your CS person and yourself interact when addressing all these issues. I have all the issues you’ve noted and have had the car evaluated twice. I’ve been informed that, after allowing for the prolonged “deep sleep” wake-up delays, everything is operating properly, as designed (Bluetooth, radio, profile recognition, profile setup, lock/unlock, etc.). I take the car back and everything is still screwy. All I ask for is transparency — just acknowledge that these things have glitches. My CS people have as little experience as I do with the Lucid and don’t seem very knowledgeable about EV’s in general, as they have never owned a Tesla. I hate to beat up on CS, as I’ve come to recognize the short comings aren’t designed to negate my concerns, but rather they don’t have solutions and their engineers tell them everything is fine with the car.
In my own experience dealing with issues with the car, it's MUCH better to go through the service manager than CS guys. I've been able to get A LOT more information from the service manager who has a direct line with engineering regarding issues rather than CS. YMMV

I have had good interaction with the Costa Mesa service team. Customer care the response to any email is the canned “we are sorry you are having these problems” response initially. I have gotten a couple calls where I was asked follow up questions that made it clear the issues were understood. I do have a concern that there are hardware / design issues that may not be software only. The car for sure can be behaving as “expected” and as “expected” is not a great experience. They tested sensors for park distance on my car to see if an adjustment would improve performance. It did not change anything.
The Legacy manufacturers have discrete systems for things that are expected to work immediately, all the time. Seems the Lucid depends on the main system booting for a lot and a boot time of 45 seconds or more is not acceptable. Not when you are use to near instantaneous for ICE cars, Smart phones, and tablets.

The car is a great drive. The drive train, suspension, brakes, handling, ride. Those teams are the reason the car got car of the year. A couple days with the car it is easy for journalists to ignore things that get aggravating with ownership.
Nice to know about drive quality, I am still 4-6 months from getting my AGT, hope most software issues have resolved by then

I am really hoping that Lucid works these problems out. I do want a Lucid but not if they can't get this stuff right.
Yeah----I was thinking exactly the same thing as I read Bill's summary. I passed on the E Tron GT in favor of a LT (who knows when?) but these failures of systems that are available and bullet-proof on cars costing 1/3----scary.

It's no longer an option to separate the tech from the car, and no one should know that more the Rawlinson, et. al.

I'm going to start again looking at other options

I used iPhone exclusively for entry for first week then deleted and have been using fob ever since. Have been thinking about trying Phone again, but sounds like the same issues persist. Maybe 2.0.
I gave up on the iPhone as a key early on as well. Still, a mystery to me why the car sometimes opens when I approach with the fob in my pocket then it locks before I get to open the door and does a couple of lock unlock moves before the handle stays up long enough for me to open the door. The Geofence has worked for me since I programmed the Homelink for three Garage doors and the gate. I would prefer to have it with larger buttons and on the Pilot display than the small cockpit as on occasion I have opened the wrong garage door due to the proximity of the buttons.

I gave up on the iPhone as a key early on as well. Still, a mystery to me why the car sometimes opens when I approach with the fob in my pocket then it locks before I get to open the door and does a couple of lock unlock moves before the handle stays up long enough for me to open the door. The Geofence has worked for me since I programmed the Homelink for three Garage doors and the gate. I would prefer to have it with larger buttons and on the Pilot display than the small cockpit as on occasion I have opened the wrong garage door due to the proximity of the buttons.

Attachments

• 6139A13D-2C82-4086-92B5-DFA3D94668DE.jpeg
    6139A13D-2C82-4086-92B5-DFA3D94668DE.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 189
Yeah----I was thinking exactly the same thing as I read Bill's summary. I passed on the E Tron GT in favor of a LT (who knows when?) but these failures of systems that are available and bullet-proof on cars costing 1/3----scary.

It's no longer an option to separate the tech from the car, and no one should know that more the Rawlinson, et. al.

I'm going to start again looking at other options
I'd recommend you keep your reservation at the very least. It's a fairly low-cost placeholder that gives you options and keeps your place in line.

Some of you guys are starting to scare people away for some issues like car not opening even with a key fob in your pocket. God forbid that you have to take the fob out of your pocket to open the door until they get this corrected.

Back