skomarla

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2023 AT
Referral Code
9A7U8E5H
Hi all,

Is there any way to limit the amp draw when plugged into a 220v? My brother in law's work has 220v outlets but limited to 20A. So when plugged in, the breaker keeps tripping. Obviously upgrading the breaker is not an option.. out of luck?

Thank you

To clarify, he has a pure awd but I don’t think there is meaningful difference on this front.
Anyway I figure this is a shot in the dark to see if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you

Your EVSE is the issue and should be the device limiting power. It shouldn't be possible to plug one in that will draw >20A into a 20A outlet. Pretty big electrical code violation. For a business, that tends to be a very big deal in terms of insurance/etc.

Yea that makes sense but I’m more thinking along the lines of how the LCHC has dip switches to set the draw.. wondering if there are portable solutions out there without violating code.

Still think it’s a shot in the dark but just checking with the experts here.

Your EVSE is the issue and should be the device limiting power. It shouldn't be possible to plug one in that will draw >20A into a 20A outlet. Pretty big electrical code violation. For a business, that tends to be a very big deal in terms of insurance/etc.
There isn't a charger, it's a 220V outlet. I use the Lucid portable charging cable with a plug adapter. So the current limiter should be the vehicle which is likely defaulting to 40A or so. The Teslas, Toyotas, etc. all seem ok with it somehow.

There isn't a charger, it's a 220V outlet. I use the Lucid portable charging cable with a plug adapter. So the current limiter should be the vehicle which is likely defaulting to 40A or so. The Teslas, Toyotas, etc. all seem ok with it somehow.
One of few functions of the "AC charger" is to tell the car the maximum acceptable current. Lucid mobile charging cable does that, and should tell different limit depending of the adaptor used. Looks like using NEMA 14-30 plug adapter should set the limit to 24A: https://lucidmotors.com/media/document/lucid-mobile-charging-cable-na-user-manual.pdf

It can't, because you're using a plug adapter. You can't use a plug adapter like this. The EVSE has to be aware of the current limit or be able to set the current limit.

Do not use plug adapters/extension cords of any sort with charging equipment. I'm pretty sure they say that very clearly on the label even.

One of few functions of the "AC charger" is to tell the car the maximum acceptable current. Lucid mobile charging cable does that, and should tell different limit depending of the adaptor used. Looks like using NEMA 14-30 plug adapter should set the limit to 24A: https://lucidmotors.com/media/document/lucid-mobile-charging-cable-na-user-manual.pdf

Still too much for a 20A circuit by a lot. You can't go over 16A constant draw on a 20A.

From the manual, their EVSE doesn't provide what you need. You need a 3.6kW option for a 6-20.

Last edited:
welcome 🤣

Back