1300 Mile San Diego to Sonoma road trip

SCOOTERSD

Verified Owner
Cars
Tesla S and 3
Got back from my first major road trip in our Touring. 1300 miles in an average of about 50 degree weather. Highway speed of 75 (HA and Cruise as much as possible) but with periods of 80+ driving to keep up with traffic (or make up time due to previous heavy traffic). Touring with 20” wheels with aero covers installed - except for the last 50 miles when one of my covers ”ejected” after a MAJOR pothole attack. 4 adults + food and luggage + lots of wine on the return trip. 3.0 mi/KW for the trip. The car drove beautifully and very comfortably for long days on the road. Great trip and my fears of charging issues was mostly overblown. The EA experience was better than anticipated. We did 3 stops for charging on each leg of the trip and charged at a Bank of America (4 x150 chargers) right on the Sonoma Square for our local needs. On the road, the EA stations near magic mountain, Kettlemans (good Mexican food), San Francisco Premium Outlet mall in Livermore, and Culver City (LA near the airport) all had several open 350KW chargers which worked well. We didn’t always get super high rates but they were adequate for our rest/recharge stops of about 30 minutes. Our only real issue was when we got routed to a charger that didn’t exist (our error?) and then had to find a local EA charger which had four 150 chargers - one inoperative, one wouldn’t link to our car, and then finally one that would only charge at very low speeds and tried to charge us ($). I called EA and a very nice lady tried to reset the charger to impove the charge rate but that didn’t work. She did credit the card that they charged for the visit. Overall it was a fun trip with a better than expected charging experience. OBTW - There were 2 other Lucid’s at our Livermore charging stop - a white GT and a black GT driven by a Lucid test engineer on his way to a track test session. He mentioned big new S/W improvements but wouldn’t share any details :-(

Attachments

• E4CF9928-AF2E-4046-A387-FE3EBBFE1337.jpeg
    E4CF9928-AF2E-4046-A387-FE3EBBFE1337.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 212
Got back from my first major road trip in our Touring. 1300 miles in an average of about 50 degree weather. Highway speed of 75 (HA and Cruise as much as possible) but with periods of 80+ driving to keep up with traffic (or make up time due to previous heavy traffic). Touring with 20” wheels with aero covers installed - except for the last 50 miles when one of my covers ”ejected” after a MAJOR pothole attack. 4 adults + food and luggage + lots of wine on the return trip. 3.0 mi/KW for the trip. The car drove beautifully and very comfortably for long days on the road. Great trip and my fears of charging issues was mostly overblown. The EA experience was better than anticipated. We did 3 stops for charging on each leg of the trip and charged at a Bank of America (4 x150 chargers) right on the Sonoma Square for our local needs. On the road, the EA stations near magic mountain, Kettlemans (good Mexican food), San Francisco Premium Outlet mall in Livermore, and Culver City (LA near the airport) all had several open 350KW chargers which worked well. We didn’t always get super high rates but they were adequate for our rest/recharge stops of about 30 minutes. Our only real issue was when we got routed to a charger that didn’t exist (our error?) and then had to find a local EA charger which had four 150 chargers - one inoperative, one wouldn’t link to our car, and then finally one that would only charge at very low speeds and tried to charge us ($). I called EA and a very nice lady tried to reset the charger to impove the charge rate but that didn’t work. She did credit the card that they charged for the visit. Overall it was a fun trip with a better than expected charging experience. OBTW - There were 2 other Lucid’s at our Livermore charging stop - a white GT and a black GT driven by a Lucid test engineer on his way to a track test session. He mentioned big new S/W improvements but wouldn’t share any details :-(
With 19" wheels you would have got 3.2 and at 70mph HA, probably 3.4. Not at all bad with 4 adults and the cargo.

Beautiful Touring in White. Only white car I've ever actually considered, and I considered it seriously. I went with Infinite Black, as I'm just a black car kind of guy but still love that white. Great looking car you have and the Bear looks great as well.

Thanks for passing along your mi/kWh at speed. Sounds like you had a great trip minus a few charge visits.

That is a beautiful car. I'm planning a road trip from the bay area to Arizona next month. Hope to have as much success as you did. Where do you go to find out mi/KW?

I had reset the A trip odometer before the trip and then just checked it after the trip was over. We’re planning another trip to Sedona next week. I’m not going to put the aero covers on (since I only have 3 now) so it’ll be interesting to see what effect that has. I’m also hoping for higher temps to see it that more than compensates…..

I had reset the A trip odometer before the trip and then just checked it after the trip was over. We’re planning another trip to Sedona next week. I’m not going to put the aero covers on (since I only have 3 now) so it’ll be interesting to see what effect that has. I’m also hoping for higher temps to see it that more than compensates…..
Just a quick update. Went 950 miles to Sedona and back last weekend. Only two adults and baggage, no aero covers, and temps ranging from the 50s to 100. Still had HA set at 75 and used it for most highway driving. Trip efficiency 3.4 mi/KW. Beautiful little boutique hotel we stayed at had a charger that we used as our own as there were no other EVs at the hotel. Also - no issues with EA chargers on the trip.

Attachments

• 87081B21-E7F7-4BBD-88F4-AC12AAE0E57C.jpeg
    87081B21-E7F7-4BBD-88F4-AC12AAE0E57C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 145
Just a quick update. Went 950 miles to Sedona and back last weekend. Only two adults and baggage, no aero covers, and temps ranging from the 50s to 100. Still had HA set at 75 and used it for most highway driving. Trip efficiency 3.4 mi/KW. Beautiful little boutique hotel we stayed at had a charger that we used as our own as there were no other EVs at the hotel. Also - no issues with EA chargers on the trip.
Planning a 900mi trip from Houston to Florida... 4 total people.. cargo... Little anxious.. first big trip.. thanks for share.. gave me some confidence

Planning a 900mi trip from Houston to Florida... 4 total people.. cargo... Little anxious.. first big trip.. thanks for share.. gave me some confidence
Speed is #1 factor by far.

Back