12 Miles of Battery to Warm Up the Car??

Mountain Man

Cars
Lucid Air Dream P
38 Degrees in Denver tonight. Working late with car down in the parking garage. Remotely warmed up the car from 42 degrees inside to 78 degrees. This caused the battery to go from 312 miles to 300 miles. That seems rather dramatic to me. The Model S would lose almost no miles at all to accomplish the same thing. Hmmm.

38 Degrees in Denver tonight. Working late with car down in the parking garage. Remotely warmed up the car from 42 degrees inside to 78 degrees. This caused the battery to go from 312 miles to 300 miles. That seems rather dramatic to me. The Model S would lose almost no miles at all to accomplish the same thing. Hmmm.
That's impossible and after reading that article about Tesla controlling range display it makes sense, but it takes energy to produce heat!

That is about 3kWhr and it does seem like a lot. However, the car is warming both the cabin and the battery so it will take some power to do that. I have noticed that the range (or SOC%) does change when parked even when it is warm outside.

If I'm doing the math right 3 kWh is enough to heat about 275 lbs of water about 35 deg F. Given the battery is probably lots heavier than that, but with a lower average specific heat, that number seems about right to me.

125 kg * 20 degC * (4 kJ / Kg degC) * (1 kWh / 3600 kJ) = 2.8 kWh

If I'm doing the math right 3 kWh is enough to heat about 275 lbs of water about 35 deg F. Given the battery is probably lots heavier than that, but with a lower average specific heat, that number seems about right to me.

I LOVE you @Not Sam :)

this was where my head went too

This is pure gold!! I am here for more of these posts :)

It was 39 degrees here last night. When I put the car in the garage at 5pm range was 300 miles. When I woke up this AM range was 293, so it lost 7 miles just sitting there cold. So here’s my question: I’m taking the car to get PPF on Tuesday which will take 2 weeks with that and ceramic coat, should I have them plug it in to trickle charge and so 12v battery doesn’t drain?

It was 39 degrees here last night. When I put the car in the garage at 5pm range was 300 miles. When I woke up this AM range was 293, so it lost 7 miles just sitting there cold. So here’s my question: I’m taking the car to get PPF on Tuesday which will take 2 weeks with that and ceramic coat, should I have them plug it in to trickle charge and so 12v battery doesn’t drain?
Possibly if they are willing to keep it plugged in for you, especially since these places love keeping the doors open

When we took our Tesla Plaid in for a week-long radar install I monitored the car on the mobile app. With the doors being opened constantly and the car powering up, the SOC dropped so precipitously that about four days in I had to take my charge cable to the shop for them to plug the car into their 110-volt outlet so that I could get the car home a couple of days later. (They had no 240 outlet.)

When I took the Lucid in for the same install, I took the charge cable with me and told them to keep it plugged in throughout the install.

The shop I used does lots of Teslas and has a charger (and adapters) in the shop. They had it all charged up when I picked it up.

My car has been in for 2 1/2 weeks for PPF, ceramic coating and a visit by Lucid to swap out my Tahoe doors for Mojave like the rest of my car. Lucid also stopped by to check out the paint problems on the car. Plus I’ve been up north since April 14. The beauty of the size of battery pack is that I still have 181 miles left on car so no need for them to charge. I think I dropped it off with something like 270 miles on it. I’m picking it up on Monday.

Back